Metabolic Acidosis

Old December 9th 03, 09:16 PM
Mavalon

Default Metabolic Acidosis

What is used in diagnosing and confirming metabolic acidosis in a cat
with kidney problems? I have 5 blood readings over the past 3 months
that show consistently low carbon dioxide and consistently high anion
gap. The low C02 is in the low/normal range and the anion gap is in
the high/normal range, so the levels are not out of range, but any
literature I've found on MA says anything below 16-18 for C02. The
low range on the bloodwork is 12, which seems awfully low to me.
Kitty is showing signs of lethargy, weight loss, muscle wasting, and
reduced appetite. My suspicion is MA, but vet does not agree.

Can anyone help?
Old December 10th 03, 12:49 PM
Phil P.

"Mavalon" wrote in message
om...
What is used in diagnosing and confirming metabolic acidosis in a cat
with kidney problems? I have 5 blood readings over the past 3 months
that show consistently low carbon dioxide and consistently high anion
gap. The low C02 is in the low/normal range and the anion gap is in
the high/normal range, so the levels are not out of range, but any
literature I've found on MA says anything below 16-18 for C02. The
low range on the bloodwork is 12, which seems awfully low to me.

Just a thought... If the blood collection tube isn't *completely* filled
and/or if the sample is exposed to air, CO2 can diffuse out of the blood --
which will falsely lower the TCO2. You might want a retest with a separate
sample.

Kitty is showing signs of lethargy, weight loss, muscle wasting, and
reduced appetite. My suspicion is MA, but vet does not agree.

Can anyone help?

Based on the numbers and symptoms, I think your instincts are correct. It
may be time for a second opinion. Is this the same vet who said your cat
was going to "die soon"...three months ago?

Keep the faith, Jill.

Phil.