Chicago: Low-income vet services?

Old October 19th 04, 10:06 PM
Colette Marine

Default Chicago: Low-income vet services?

Anybody in Chicago know of a low-income vet services program?

I'm living on unemployment, which isn't even enough to pay my bills, and
my cats need shots and some other really minor care.

I was told to try the anti-cruelty society, and their website does
indicate that they have a low-income clinic in addition to their
spay/neuter services, but when I called, the receptionist insisted that
all they do is spay/neuter, and I could not get the shots unless I was
also getting the spay/neuter (my guys are already neutered). This
doesn't fit with what their site says, so I e-mailed the general info
address, and was given a phone number to call to try to qualify for
low-income services. Unfortunately, that phone number just bounced me
back to the receptionist who gave me the "only spay/neuter" line again.
Maddening.

I mean, you tell me... does this not indicate that there's a low income
clinic in addition to the spay/neuter clinic?
http://www.anticruelty.org/clinic.html

So what are my other options?

My regular vet will take 1/2 down plus a couple post-dated checks, but
even that's a little more than I can afford right now ("1/2 down" is
almost twice my monthly grocery budget right now!).

--
ROT-13 to e-mail
Old October 19th 04, 10:50 PM
Yngver

Colette Marine wrote:

I mean, you tell me... does this not indicate that there's a low income
clinic in addition to the spay/neuter clinic?
http://www.anticruelty.org/clinic.html

So what are my other options?

My regular vet will take 1/2 down plus a couple post-dated checks, but
even that's a little more than I can afford right now ("1/2 down" is
almost twice my monthly grocery budget right now!).

Yes, and it says on the CARE Web site that Anti-Cruelty downtown offers low
cost veterinary services. Maybe they have stopped doing so.

Although most low cost or free vet services mainly mean spay/neuter, there are
organizations in Chicago that provide low cost routine vet care, if that's what
you need (vaccinations would be routine.) Have you tried the clinic at your
nearest Petsmart? Also, you can try calling the Treehouse Foundation (Chicago)
and ask them where you could get low cost vet service. I think they provide low
cost vaccinations but I'm not sure what else you need. However, they are
usually very helpful. Another place to ask would be PAWS. Although they are
also mainly a free/low cost spay/neuter clinic, they do offer some other
services. See http://www.pawschicago.org/SpayNeuter/sn_main.htm

Scroll down to see a list of the services they offer, but note that they have a
different rate schedule for these services if not done in conjunction with
spay/neuter. They are still probably much cheaper than a regular vet, however.

Good luck.

Old October 20th 04, 12:29 AM
Cat Protector

Do you have a Humane Society in your area? I know the one here does low/cost
shots and exams on top of their spay/neuter clinics. I'd also check with
local animal rescue groups to see if they have a program as well.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
news

Old October 20th 04, 08:42 PM
Dragon

[...]

I don't know where you are in Chicago, but when we lived there we
always thought the McCormick St. Animal Hospital was very reasonable
in their prices. They're on McCormick (of course :-) just past the
Chicago/Evanston border.

dragon