T&H Update - Long

Old August 13th 04, 08:07 AM
LOL

Default T&H Update - Long

Tallulah and Hubert seem to be settling in a bit more; Hubert is okay
so long as he's got mom, naturally, and Tallulah's periods of calm
between times of wanting out are getting longer. She's relaxed enough
a couple of times to play with Hubert without reservation - they've
been chasing each other and pouncing at each other, bunny kicking and
wrestling and chewing on each other's heads. I'd never really seen a
mom cat interacting with her kitten before - it's soooooo sweet! And
I'm soooooo thankful that Tallulah can serve as an outlet for some of
this boundless ktten energy!

They also sleep nestled together frequently after Hubert has nursed,
though eventually they will separate and go to their different
sleeping places they've already staked out. Tallulah likes to lie
under the kitchen table or on top of the cedar chest, while Hubert
mostly sleeps between the back of the couch and the living room wall.

Tallulah talks constantly, to Hubert and to us. Hubert doesn't talk,
but shreiks piteously while Tallulah is washing him or when one of the
humans touches him. He's still afraid of us but is getting braver,
and will come close enough to investigate us so long as we don't look
directly at him while he's so close.

Hubert has discovered the cardboard scratcher, and has taught his mom
to use it too! I'd put her on the scratcher a few times, but she
didn't know what I meant by it. Hubert grasped the concept right
away, and his enthusiastic scratching has led Tallulah to discover its
joys for herself.

Tonight Tallulah was reclining on the cedar chest which serves us as a
coffee table in front of the couch, while I was on the couch reading
the ng and Hubert was courageously attacking my shoeleaces. Suddenly
Tallulah leaped off the table and went charging into the bathroom,
startling Hubert and me. We followed her to see what she was doing,
and saw that she was after an enormous roach, which had probably come
in seeking a dry place. Unfortunately, once I came up behind her she
lost interest in the roach and just wanted to see what I was doing. I
hit the roach with a fly swatter, but it was still kicking, and so
Hubert got into the act, batting it around like an old pro. Then DH
got up to go to the bathroom and disposed of the thing. It was a team
effort! It's good to know we have such a kinda-mighty-hunter in the
family, so long as she doesn't get distracted. ;-)

While I was typing this, Hubert very bravely climbed onto the couch
with me and became fascinated by my typing fingers, coming close
enough to put his front paws on my leg. Tallulah did *not* seem
pleased by this and jumped up on the couch yelling, scruffed Hubert,
and dropped him over the edge onto the floor. What on earth was that
all about?!? My laughing startled both of them. Not chastened,
Hubert climbed back up onto the couch, and she shoved him off. Yeesh.
She doesn't much mind him on the other furniture, but the couch is
apparently forbidden. I do hope I can learn all these new rules. :-D

------
Krista
Old August 13th 04, 08:25 AM
Melissa Houle

LOL wrote in message
om...
Tallulah and Hubert seem to be settling in a bit more; Hubert is okay
so long as he's got mom, naturally, and Tallulah's periods of calm
between times of wanting out are getting longer. She's relaxed enough
a couple of times to play with Hubert without reservation - they've
been chasing each other and pouncing at each other, bunny kicking and
wrestling and chewing on each other's heads. I'd never really seen a
mom cat interacting with her kitten before - it's soooooo sweet! And
I'm soooooo thankful that Tallulah can serve as an outlet for some of
this boundless ktten energy!

The first time I saw Cesca treat little Nina like a fuzzy kitten popsicle, I
practically freaked out. G Then I realized it was just normal behavior,
and Nina has learned to fight back. =o) But ditto on being glad the Mama cat
is there to take the edge off boundless kitten energy.

They also sleep nestled together frequently after Hubert has nursed,
though eventually they will separate and go to their different
sleeping places they've already staked out. Tallulah likes to lie
under the kitchen table or on top of the cedar chest, while Hubert
mostly sleeps between the back of the couch and the living room wall.

Tallulah talks constantly, to Hubert and to us. Hubert doesn't talk,
but shreiks piteously while Tallulah is washing him or when one of the
humans touches him. He's still afraid of us but is getting braver,
and will come close enough to investigate us so long as we don't look
directly at him while he's so close.

Cesca is very verbal in the same way. She keeps up a running commentary for
me, and most of the sounds she makes are very endearing. Nina protests
mightily whenever Mama washes her face, too. She will now cuddle a bit with
me when I can't resist picking her up, but she's rather like her mother.
She'll tolerate being held, but doesn't much like it, and starts to object
before very long.

[...]

The new couch order has plainly changed. =o) Nina and Cesca's new favorite
place for a daytime nap is evidently the seat of my rocking chair. It's a
big, heavy wooden rocker, and it takes more than a cat's weight to rock it.
They look adorable, all cuddled up together, there.

Melissa

Old August 13th 04, 09:04 AM
jmcquown

LOL wrote:
Tallulah and Hubert seem to be settling in a bit more; Hubert is okay
so long as he's got mom, naturally, and Tallulah's periods of calm
between times of wanting out are getting longer. She's relaxed enough
a couple of times to play with Hubert without reservation - they've
been chasing each other and pouncing at each other, bunny kicking and
wrestling and chewing on each other's heads. I'd never really seen a
mom cat interacting with her kitten before - it's soooooo sweet! And
I'm soooooo thankful that Tallulah can serve as an outlet for some of
this boundless ktten energy!

ROFL I've never seen that either, but it must be something of a relief to
you! I'm exhausted just reading about him!

They also sleep nestled together frequently after Hubert has nursed,
though eventually they will separate and go to their different
sleeping places they've already staked out.

Awwww. Pictures, please?

Jill

Old August 13th 04, 01:48 PM
Marina

"LOL" wrote
Tallulah and Hubert seem to be settling in a bit more; Hubert is okay
so long as he's got mom, naturally, and Tallulah's periods of calm
between times of wanting out are getting longer.

Good to hear, and LOLing here at all the antics described so well. Yay for
the team hunt! ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki