Laxatone

Old June 6th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Laxatone

"cshenk" wrote in message
"KenK" wrote
jmc wrote

Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a
second small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each
of her three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last
might. I'll stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed. From what I found with Google it seems
some cats' hairball problems respond well to this. If the olive oil
works for a few weeks I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is
healthy. At least it is for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once
or twice a day. I'll see.

BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin). I started adding
various fats to my cat's diets to improve coat issues and found out it
helps alot with furballs as well. At least, that has been my own
experience.

I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got

Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like

I'm not too sure the olive oil will tempt her. Emily eats it, but I get
the
impression she is just tolerating it, not because she particularly likes
it. Fortunately, she will eat many things. However, Meep's preferences
may
well be different. Good luck!

BTW, FWIW I also use olive oil for cooking.

It's worth a try at least! Here's some of the other fats I've found
useful (some cats liked one more than others)

- Butter, usually melted and the solids left out (ghee, clarified butter).
Has a mild laxitive effect on some kitties but more gentle than the
laxitone etc sorts.
- Pork fat (all types but watch the salt with bacon/sausge sorts)
- Beef fat
- Duck and Chicken fat
- Rapeseed oil (cannola)

Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may
cause allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is
allergic prone.

- Corn oil
- palm oil
- soy based oils

What if they don't tolerate them well?

Old June 6th 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"cybercat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote
It's worth a try at least! Here's some of the other fats I've found
useful (some cats liked one more than others)

- Butter, usually melted and the solids left out (ghee, clarified
butter). Has a mild laxitive effect on some kitties but more gentle than
the laxitone etc sorts.
- Pork fat (all types but watch the salt with bacon/sausge sorts)
- Beef fat
- Duck and Chicken fat
- Rapeseed oil (cannola)

Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may
cause allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is
allergic prone.

- Corn oil
- palm oil
- soy based oils

What if they don't tolerate them well?

Do yopu mean the bottom list? I don't suggest them at all (could have
worded it better above). Mostly a warning to not use them as they can cause
allergic issues (even developed ones if not originally so). I figured it
made sense to list common ones that might be in a kitchen that probably
arent good to use as well as ones that are.

Old June 7th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin).

Yes, and I thank you. I'd never heard of it until you posted about it
here.
So far so good. But I had hoped pumpkin, and before that added fiber, were
working too. We'll see. Keeping fingers crossed. Not sure I'm using right
size and frequency of dose.

I'd keep with the fiber to help. On the oil, I found Olive the most
effective with some of them. If you feed twice a day, start with 1/2 TS at
the meal they are most apt to barf up a furball before the next feeding.
With cats, that's normally evening meal for my experiences but some are
daytime mostly so would be morning meal. Edge up to 1 TS a feeding and if
it isn't working, probably need another solution to it.

Old June 8th 10, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

"cshenk" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin).

Yes, and I thank you. I'd never heard of it until you posted about it
here.
So far so good. But I had hoped pumpkin, and before that added fiber,
were working too. We'll see. Keeping fingers crossed. Not sure I'm
using right size and frequency of dose.

I'd keep with the fiber to help. On the oil, I found Olive the most
effective with some of them. If you feed twice a day, start with 1/2
TS at the meal they are most apt to barf up a furball before the next
feeding. With cats, that's normally evening meal for my experiences
but some are daytime mostly so would be morning meal. Edge up to 1 TS
a feeding and if it isn't working, probably need another solution to
it.

I'm not sure I understand. She eats three times a day. Emily always
throws up in the middle of the night. So I should give her a half
teaspoon only with her evening meal? That's roughly what I do now, except
a quarter teaspoon with two meals. Or is the timing critical? Or a half
teaspoon each with two meals?

The quarter teaspoon twice isn't working. She threw up at 3:30 AM this
morning. Very little fluid and I didn't see any hair. Looked like a long
'cigar' of hair when she first threw up but by the time I could get some
paper towels all I saw was a bit of liquid. I probably was wrong about
the cigar; after all, it was 3:30 and I had been asleep. I gave her a
half teaspoon of Laxatone and will repeat late this evening. Then resume
the olive oil tomorrow. I don't think it's a good idea to give her both
oil and Laxatone if I can avoid it - a bit too much.

I'll add a quarter teaspoon of fiber to her morning meal which I don't
dose with olive oil.

Suggestions?

Old June 8th 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Is it possible that all of these additions to her food is making her
nauseous? Maybe you should try just plain cat food for a few days - no
oil, no pumpkin, no fiber. and give her stomach a rest.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old June 10th 10, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
KenK

KenK wrote in
:

(---MIKE---) wrote in news:18722-4C0E8241-14463
@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

Is it possible that all of these additions to her food is making her
nauseous? Maybe you should try just plain cat food for a few days -
no oil, no pumpkin, no fiber. and give her stomach a rest.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Her last Laxatone was 6/4. For a week or so even before then and since
all she's been getting is 1/4 tsp olive oil in her food twice a day.
So I don't think that was her problem. Since that didn't work, I'm
going to change her dosage slightly - from two 1/4 tsp doses to a
single 1/2 tsp dose in her evening meal. If that doesn't work a 1/2
tsp dose each with her afternoon and evening meal. If that doesn't
work then a 1/2 tsp Laxatone twice a week before bedtime. The package
says that is ok. Either that or get used to cleaning up vomit often in
the middle of the night.

Ken

Hmmm. She was _very_ displeased with the 1/2 tsp. of olive oil! Now I'll
bet she won't eat a 1/4 tsp any more either. sigh I'll bet wives are a
lot easier to get along with than cats!