Mirco Chiping a cat

Old April 5th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rebel Rouser

Default Mirco Chiping a cat

Is there a certain brand of chip that is best ? Has anyone had any
problems or good results from getting their cat chiped ?
Thank You very much,

Michael Lane

" Life ain't easy, when your fat & greasy "

**
**

Old April 5th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I highly recommend microchipping your cats, even if they are indoor
only. Emergencies can happen and they can get out. If you heard any of
the Katrina stories, pets who were chipped were much more likely to be
reunited with their owners.

I like Avis chips. You pay a one-time fee to get registered (entered
into their database). You don't need to pay again unless there is a
change (address, owner, etc.). Some other brands charge an annual fee.
Avis is commonly used at vets and animal shelters, so should your pet
get lost the chip will be easily recognized.

Rene
Old April 6th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Rene S." wrote in message

I like Avis chips.

Its "AVID" (American Veterinary Identification Devices). Avis is a car
rental company.

Old April 6th 10, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"Rebel Rouser" wrote in message
Is there a certain brand of chip that is best ? Has anyone had any
problems or good results from getting their cat chiped ?
Thank You very much,

Before you do it, research the cancer risk. I adopted a chipped cat back in
06 and last year I elected to have the chip removed. For me, the risk was
too high.

Paul

Old April 6th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

I like Avis chips.

Its "AVID" (American Veterinary Identification Devices). Avis is a car
rental company.

Sorry about that. I DID mean Avid!
Old April 7th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
starcat

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Rebel Rouser" wrote in message
Is there a certain brand of chip that is best ? Has anyone had any
problems or good results from getting their cat chiped ?
Thank You very much,

Before you do it, research the cancer risk. I adopted a chipped cat back
in 06 and last year I elected to have the chip removed. For me, the risk
was too high.

Paul

The risk of your cat being lost and never returned, particularly since cats
are wonderful escape artists and also find ways to get out of their collars,
is much greater than the risk of cancer or any other perceived risk with a
microchip. Just take a look at all the lost cats on your local Craig's
List, for example. Unlike dogs, many cat owners don't put a collar and tags
on their cats, and indoor-only cats are really screwed if they get outside
accidentally. With a chip there's always hope you'll be reunited, but
without one - the chances just aren't that great.

Both of my indoor-only cats are chipped, and so is our dog. Dogs get out of
their collars, after all. It's not a sure thing, but it certainly increases
the chances of us getting reunited if any of them is lost. Plus vets will
scan animals for free.

Old April 7th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook[_2_]

"starcat" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

[...]

In my experience cats don't wander off and get lost like dogs do. They know
where they live and seldom wander if spayed or neutered. When I hear of
cats that go missing it's usually because they got killed or some human did
something very bad to them..

Both of my indoor-only cats are chipped, and so is our dog. Dogs get out
of their collars, after all. It's not a sure thing, but it certainly
increases the chances of us getting reunited if any of them is lost. Plus
vets will scan animals for free.

It's a personal choice. I opted to have it removed. I feel good about it
especially because the manufacturer, VeriChip, falsified its clinical
findings and on more occasions misrepresented studies that found a causal
link between those chips and fibrosarcomas. That same manufacturer also
tried to hide cancer studies when they pursued the federal government with a
plan to implant chips in babies and children.

http://www.antichips.com/press-relea...er-report.html

Paul

Old April 7th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

The local shelters and rescue groups here chip all of the animals
before they adopt them out. Just last year, one rescue group got in a
cat that had been adopted out by another local rescue group. They
called, and the first group picked up the cat.

Microchipping is very safe. The odds of a problem are extremely small.
How often does an indoor only cat get outside? Mine don't hover by the
door or try very much, but they still manage to escape on rare
occasions. I've had Jay Jay for 5 years now, and he escaped twice in
the first year. I've had Sassy Taz for a year and a half, and she has
gotten out at least 5 times. (None of these times were because of me).
We got them back inside quickly. But it proves that it can happen.

Add in an earthquake, fire, floods, etc, and you may need that
microchip to pick up your cat from a shelter holding hundreds of
suddenly rescued pets. Most vets also have scanners, so people who
find a pet wandering can go to their local vet and have it scanned.
Collars come off. That's the whole point of a break-away collar, to
come off if it gets caught on something.

I would also point out that many horse registries have been using
microchips for over 10 years as the official method of identification.
I go to the annual friesian judging, and they don't judge a horse
until the microchip has been scanned. Foals are chipped by the
judges, and the dam is scanned for a chip. I've seen hundreds of
horses scanned, and only one chip had moved noticeably. And I have
never heard any horse owner complain about them. These are horses that
start out at $6,000 - $10,000 for a foal and only get more expensive.
They would not be doing the chips if they considered them risky.

Old April 7th 10, 07:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 9:38*pm, "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

In my experience cats don't wander off and get lost like dogs do. *They know
where they live and seldom wander if spayed or neutered. *When I hear of
cats that go missing it's usually because they got killed or some human did
something very bad to them..

This may be true of indoor/outdoor cats. But not of indoor only cats
who get out by accident, get hit by a car, get spooked, panic in an
earthquake or 4th of july fireworks, etc.

Cats can also get into things. Ever hear stories of cats getting into
moving vans, shipping containers, etc, and then being found at the
final destination? That actually happens more often than getting
cancer from a micrchip. Wouldn't it be nice if you got your cat back
after it traveled in a moving van with your old neighbor?

Or there's the case of the helpful neighbor who thinks your cat is
lost, and takes him to the shelter, trying to be helpful. We used to
have an indoor/outdoor cat because he had a huge spraying problem
(even after being neutered and given multiple medications). We had two
neighbors "return" him to us because they thought he was lost. Another
neighbor stole him for 3 days. We had missing cat signs up, so they
knew he was ours. He must have sprayed their house pretty good,
because they released him after a few days and commented later about
how friendly he was.

Old April 7th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote in message
Microchipping is very safe. The odds of a problem are extremely small.
How often does an indoor only cat get outside? Mine don't hover by the
door or try very much, but they still manage to escape on rare
occasions. I've had Jay Jay for 5 years now, and he escaped twice in
the first year. I've had Sassy Taz for a year and a half, and she has
gotten out at least 5 times. (None of these times were because of me).
We got them back inside quickly. But it proves that it can happen.

I suppose it depends on where you live, but I've never had that kind of
problem with my cats. They are all "outside" cats, but they seldom leave the
property. One of them was an inside cat for about 7 years before we got her,
and the first time she went through the cat door to the outside, she just
lay on the front lawn and rolled around and really enjoyed being outside,
but then she came right in again and now she never leaves the property at
all. The only two I have that wander at all never go further than a half
block away, either to the mailbox to greet the neighbors when they pick up
their mail, or across the street to their former owners. (who got a dog that
they can't stand)
I can understand keeping cats inside to protect them from autos and or
other predators, but to prevent them from running away just doesn't compute
with me. All the "inside" cats I have ever known, won't go more than 20 feet
away from their front doors whenever they get the chance to go outside, and
even my outside cats seldom leave the property.