vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

Old August 10th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Default vaccine reaction with vomiting and bloody diarrhea

On Aug 9, 11:14*am, "Nadia N." wrote:
Please anyone who has experience with this, I need help, or at least
reassurance.

Hello Nadia,

I've been away for several days and just saw your post. I am hoping by
now that Sweety is doing fine. One of our cats had two bad reactions
when he was a young cat (one year) to a vaccine--also vomiting, loose
stools, and his ears and paw pads were bright pink. We took him to the
emergency vets and they gave him a shot of benadryl to stop the
reaction (it helped only a little).

I wanted to caution you, now that she's had this reaction--to NOT
vaccinate her again. It could be more dangerous of a reaction next
time she gets any vaccine. We have not vaccinated Benny since he had
the reaction. IMO it's just too dangerous.

Rene
Old August 10th 10, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Nadia N. wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Sardine juice or tuna juice from a can with their own oil

Thanks, Matthew. I don't think I can give her anything fish-based. With
her upset tummy any kind of fish juice would only make it worse. She
doesn't actually get any fish-based food, because the one and only time
I tried giving her some she started throwing up, violently. She's always
had a sensitive tummy.

I managed to get her to drink some chicken broth, as I said in my other
post, so things are looking up. Next hurdle - a bit of solid food for
breakfast, and the morning dose of anti-diarrhea medicine. It's Flagyl,
which seems to taste absolutely awful. When I gave it to her this
afternoon she started foaming at the mouth. Poor baby :-(

Sending heartfelt purrs that kitty will feel better very soon.
Sometimes giving nature a chance helps. Best wishes. MLB
Old August 10th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Matthew wrote:
sounds like a really bad reaction to the vaccine. Do you know how to check
to see if they are dehydrated by pulling on their skin Google it. If it is
positive and no matter what I would call the vet to see if they need to
start IV fluids.

I know this is emotional WRITE down all the symptoms and reactions all of
them how long apart etc it is easier to tell a vet when stuff like this
happens trust me it works. When rumble has is first seizure 7 years ago I
was a babbling mess and hysterical my vet who is my friend also thought my
mom died. Since than I have learned the above

http://www.ehow.com/how_2161409_trea...rated-cat.html
http://www.cat-world.com.au/dehydration-in-cats

Thanks for the links. I've bookmarked them for future need. She is much
better today. She's eaten several times - small portions of chicken -
and she drank all the water and broth I added to the food. So she's not
dehydrated.

And yeah, it is so scary when they're sick, and the fact that my Spanish
is not the best and the vet's English is non-existent didn't help. When
I saw that puddle of blood where she had tried to poo I almost lost my
mind. Not the best of states in which to try to explain things to the
vet in another language. Now that I'm calmer I am writing down the whole
episode, with approximate times of when things happened. I'm not sure if
the vets here keep detailed records like my vet in Canada did, so I'm
keeping the records for my cats myself - when they were sick, what
medicine and dosage they were given, how they reacted, etc. You never
know when it might come in useful...

And I'm just so relieved that she's feeling better. She's only 2 and
half - too young to be trying to give me more gray hairs with serious
health problems :-(

--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old August 10th 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

MLB wrote:

Sending heartfelt purrs that kitty will feel better very soon. Sometimes
giving nature a chance helps. Best wishes. MLB

Thanks for the purrs and good wishes. They seem to be working - she is
mostly her normal self today. Maybe a little more sleepy, but she has
her appetite back, she's drinking, grooming herself, and she even chased
her tail for a bit a few hours ago.

Old August 10th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

Rene S. wrote:

I wanted to caution you, now that she's had this reaction--to NOT
vaccinate her again. It could be more dangerous of a reaction next
time she gets any vaccine. We have not vaccinated Benny since he had
the reaction. IMO it's just too dangerous.

Thanks Rene. Yeah, I was reading up on vaccine reactions yesterday and
read that if a cat has a reaction to a vaccine, if she gets vaccinated
again she'll get a worse reaction. Considering how scary it was this
time, I don't want to imagine what a worse reaction would be. So I will
not be vaccinating her again.

I am concerned though about her catching something that I bring in from
outside. There are tons of stray cats living outside here in Spain, and
I don't drive so I walk everywhere. I'm afraid I might bring in
something on my shoes that she won't be protected against. I know I
won't have to worry about this for at least a year, maybe not even for
the next 3 years (I think current vaccination protocols say that it's
enough to vaccinate cats every 3 years instead of every year). But
eventually her immunity will fade and then what? I guess I have 3 years
to think of ways to figure something out...

Old August 10th 10, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Nadia N." wrote
cshenk wrote:

Try broth again, but water it down a bit and make sure it isnt to salty.

I managed to get her to drink a bit of chicken broth. It wasn't the broth
we cooked especially for her, though - she wouldn't touch that

So glad this worked! Keep in mind just like a dehydtated 2foot, she may
need a bit of salt and other electrolytes just now.

one. But she eats these cans of pure white chicken meat in broth, and
after I had exhausted all other choices I gave her some of the broth from
the can, diluted with water. At first I didn't want to give her that
because it does have some salt in it, but I was out of other things to
try, and I did add a lot of water to it. So far I've given it to her 3
times. She slurps up some, then starts licking her chops and stops. I
think that maybe she starts feeling nauseous again and that's why she
stops. Still, she drank up about 3/4 of a bowl that way (it's her wet food
bowl, not as big as a water bowl, but still not small).

That works. Salt is bad for them over long term in the levels 2foots use,
but if she's accepting the level you served, it's fine. Right now, it's
more important to get her drinking and eating. I takes a few years for a
high sodium diet issue to bother a cat.

She has perked up quite a bit. She washed for a while, walked around, even
lead me to the fridge asking for food. I'm not supposed to give her food
till tomorrow morning though, so she just got more broth. I had to give
her a shot - a second dose of the same anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea
medicine that the vet gave her at the office. I'd never given a kitty a
shot before. I hope I did it right. Poor little girl, having to be stuck
with needles by an amateur.

Lol! I bet she feels better now.

I've only had experience with one cat that had a bad reaction to a shot,
but it was a bit like this. He was allergic to something in that shot.
If it helps, he did indeed start drinking a bit in the night and by
morning was happy to be waited on hand and foot with little tempting
treats in tiny amounts every hour or so. The first thing he accepted
with a little bit of my roomate's 'special margarine for the lactose
intolerant' (her idea and a good one as it worked).

Thanks for telling me about your roommate's cat. It's good to know this
has happened to other kitties before, and they recovered. I have been
googling adverse reactions to vaccines, but pretty much all of them
describe symptoms that she doesn't have, like swelling up and difficulty
breathing, falling over, seizures. I wonder if maybe her symptoms being
just vomiting and diarrhea and none of the others mean that this is not so
much an allergic reaction to the vaccine, but that the vaccination just
weakened her system and let an existing problem get worse. She has always
had a sensitive tummy, soft stools, and when I first got her as a kitten
she had diarrhea with blood in it for over a week. In any case, she seems
better tonight. We'll see how she does with solid food tomorrow...

Roomates cat never had any of that swelling or seizures or breathing
problems.

Her sensitive tummy though does sound like there might be an allergy to
something in her food going on. Once she's better, maybe we can discuss
what you currently feed and look it up to see if an alternative seems
reasonable for your area and finances.

The rule of thumb is every time you see a soft stool (over soft), the food
rushed through and nutrients were probably not properly absorbed. The
occasional issue is not a problem. The long term issue, can be.

Oh, and to the person who said that she might "die from inattention" and
that my vet was unprofessional, my vet called tonight at 11:30 pm to ask
how she was doing, and if she had started drinking. Very inattentive of
him, yeah.

Grin, sounds like a good vet and a language problem. Any vet who calls *me*
to see how my pet is doing, is a keeper.

I'll add, I don't see as you did anything wrong to ask for anyone with
experience in this to post back as you clearly indicated right away you were
post vet trip with followups already taken. You got home with her and were
following vet advice with morning followup already set and just looking for
those who had seen similar and what they did.

Old August 10th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Nadia N." wrote
Rene S. wrote:

[...]

Nadia would you be US military associated? Doesnt really matter. One thing
you need to check is the vaccination requirements to bring a pet to the next
country. There is some controversy in how fast a vaccination fades, but
there is little doubt on what is required per country be 'current'.

Hawaii used to be very restrictive and so was England. Probably others as
well.

Old August 11th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

cshenk wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote
She has perked up quite a bit. She washed for a while, walked around,
even lead me to the fridge asking for food. I'm not supposed to give
her food till tomorrow morning though, so she just got more broth. I
had to give her a shot - a second dose of the same anti-inflammatory
and anti-nausea medicine that the vet gave her at the office. I'd
never given a kitty a shot before. I hope I did it right. Poor little
girl, having to be stuck with needles by an amateur.

Lol! I bet she feels better now.

She seems pretty much back to normal today. She's playful, eating well,
drinking, she's used the litterbox (no poo yet, but it's too early to
expect that). She caught a moth last night. I have one more day of
forcing nasty-tasting liquids down her throat and then hopefully her
tummy will continue to behave itself without any medicine.

Her sensitive tummy though does sound like there might be an allergy to
something in her food going on. Once she's better, maybe we can discuss
what you currently feed and look it up to see if an alternative seems
reasonable for your area and finances.

She definitely had a problem with any and all dry food when she was a
kitten. So it's probably some kind of grain intolerance. She's been
eating 3/4 of a can of Hill's Chicken and Liver per day (the 156 g/5.5
oz cans). To that I add 6 heaping spoonfuls of a pure chicken meat food
called Porta 21 (it's a German-made food - basically just shredded white
meat and broth). I'd like to put her on the Porta 21 only, but then she
gets constipated, and also, I did a comparison of the nutrient contents
of the Hill's and the Porta food, and the Hill's seems better. I would
love to be able to switch her to a completely grain-free food, if I
could... But as you said, that's a discussion for another time :-)

The rule of thumb is every time you see a soft stool (over soft), the
food rushed through and nutrients were probably not properly absorbed.
The occasional issue is not a problem. The long term issue, can be.

I think partially the problem might be that I was giving her too much
food per day. I had this problem with my Kotyo before - my mom kept
slipping him extra food every day and he kept having soft stools. The
vet checked him out, analyzed a stool sample, and there was nothing
wrong with him. Finally she asked us how much we were feeding him and
suggested we reduce the amount. We tried that, and lo and behold - no
more soft stools :-) Sweety is a food hound, just like her big brother.
She'll wolf down everything in her bowl, and then beg for more. I used
to give her a whole can of the Hill's, but changed to 3/4 about a month
ago, and since then her soft stools are not as frequent. But now she
only goes every 2 days instead of every day as before, so I don't know
if that's good either...

Oh, and to the person who said that she might "die from inattention"
and that my vet was unprofessional, my vet called tonight at 11:30 pm
to ask how she was doing, and if she had started drinking. Very
inattentive of him, yeah.

Grin, sounds like a good vet and a language problem. Any vet who calls
*me* to see how my pet is doing, is a keeper.

Yep, definitely a keeper. That whole vet clinic is pretty good. The main
vet speaks perfect English, and is knowledgeable about the latest CRF
research and treatments, which I desperately need because unfortunately
my Kotyo was diagnosed with early stage kidney disease in March. And the
vet who treated Sweety this week seems pretty good as well, and he can
understand my Spanish when I'm not semi-hysterical :-)

I'll add, I don't see as you did anything wrong to ask for anyone with
experience in this to post back as you clearly indicated right away you
were post vet trip with followups already taken. You got home with her
and were following vet advice with morning followup already set and just
looking for those who had seen similar and what they did.

I probably should not have snapped at that poster, but I was not exactly
at my calmest, I had a cat who was pooing blood, and seeing them post
"if she's not dead yet from inaction" was really the last thing I needed
to read at that time. When I am calmer I realize that sometimes people
skim posts and don't notice all the information in them, and I know that
people on this newsgroup (me included) feel very strongly about taking
your cat to the vet first and asking on the newsgroup later. So I can
understand that the person meant well and were concerned about Sweety.
It's just the word "dead" really hit me hard and I do wish that people
would try to choose their words a bit more carefully in these situations...

Old August 11th 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Nadia N.

cshenk wrote:

Nadia would you be US military associated? Doesnt really matter. One
thing you need to check is the vaccination requirements to bring a pet
to the next country. There is some controversy in how fast a
vaccination fades, but there is little doubt on what is required per
country be 'current'.

Hawaii used to be very restrictive and so was England. Probably others
as well.

No military or US associations of any kind :-) I'm Canadian. I will
probably be moving back to Canada at some point, but not for years yet.
As far as I know, Canada only requires a current rabies vaccination for
pets entering the country. I don't think that a reaction to the 3-in-1
vaccine means that Sweety will have a reaction to the rabies vaccine as
well, but at this time I don't plan to vaccinate her against rabies
either. There is no rabies in Spain, and she is indoors-only, so there
is no need for it. If/when it comes time to move back to Canada, I'll
discuss the issue the vet and follow his recommendations.

Old August 12th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Nadia N." wrote
cshenk wrote:

Nadia would you be US military associated? Doesnt really matter. One
thing you need to check is the vaccination requirements to bring a pet to
the next country. There is some controversy in how fast a vaccination
fades, but there is little doubt on what is required per country be
'current'.

No military or US associations of any kind :-) I'm Canadian. I will
probably be moving back to Canada at some point, but not for years yet.

Ok, keep an eye on Canada. It's less restrictive best I know.

As far as I know, Canada only requires a current rabies vaccination for
pets entering the country. I don't think that a reaction to the 3-in-1
vaccine means that Sweety will have a reaction to the rabies vaccine as
well, but at this time I don't plan to vaccinate her against rabies
either. There is no rabies in Spain, and she is indoors-only, so there is
no need for it. If/when it comes time to move back to Canada, I'll discuss
the issue the vet and follow his recommendations.

Good idea. My cat gets the rabies shot but there are 2 reasons. She was
feral for an unknown number of years, and we have local problems with rabid
bats and squirrels. Although a bat would be rare within 2 miles of me, the
squirrels jump all over my yard and potentially could get in the screened
porch if determined.

Fortunatly the worst I have ever had from other than the roomates cat, was a
nasty look when getting a vaccination.