Library Cat

Old March 10th 05, 04:58 PM
melizabeth

"Nina K Pettis" wrote in message
ink.net...
Katz wrote:

Marina wrote:

Aww, how nice. The best combination in the world; cats and books.

How true! Thus, my screen name. I have a T-shirt that shows a pic of a

cat draped over a pile of books. It says:
Books.
Cats.
Life is good.

Is that the Gorey shirt? I've lusted after it for years...

I have that shirt! My friend gave it to me as it was just perfect in
describing my life.

Nina in Texas, servant to: Snickelfritz (RB), Pixel (RB 12/03), Rusty
(RB 9/04), Seth (RB 12/04), Skeeter, Kyle, Jake, and T.K. [Tuxedo Kitty]
--
Professional proofreading doesn’t cost – it pays!
www.ninaproofs.com

Old March 10th 05, 11:07 PM
Katz

Nina K Pettis wrote:

Aww, how nice. The best combination in the world; cats and books.

How true! Thus, my screen name. I have a T-shirt that shows a pic

of a

cat draped over a pile of books. It says:
Books.
Cats.
Life is good.

Hi Nina
Yes, it is the Gorey shirt. I got it from the NPR catalog. But, sadly,
they've given into a trend & changed the wording to "...Life is sweet."

Another proofreader who reads obsessively, huh? Have you read Eats,
Shoots & Leaves? I've just started it. I'm laughing out loud. It's a
hoot!

Katz

Old March 10th 05, 11:09 PM
Katz

melizabeth wrote:

Aww, how nice. The best combination in the world; cats and

books.

How true! Thus, my screen name. I have a T-shirt that shows a pic

of a

cat draped over a pile of books. It says:
Books.
Cats.
Life is good.

Is that the Gorey shirt? I've lusted after it for years...

I have that shirt! My friend gave it to me as it was just perfect in
describing my life.

Mine too. Life is, indeed, good.

Katz

Old March 10th 05, 11:32 PM
Nina K Pettis

Katz wrote:

Nina K Pettis wrote:

Aww, how nice. The best combination in the world; cats and books.

How true! Thus, my screen name. I have a T-shirt that shows a pic

of a

cat draped over a pile of books. It says:
Books.
Cats.
Life is good.

Hi Nina
Yes, it is the Gorey shirt. I got it from the NPR catalog. But, sadly,
they've given into a trend & changed the wording to "...Life is sweet."

Another proofreader who reads obsessively, huh? Have you read Eats,
Shoots & Leaves? I've just started it. I'm laughing out loud. It's a
hoot!

Oh, yeah! I read everything I can get my hands on; this house has at
least one bookcase per room... It looks like I'll be moving soon, and
the thing I'm looking forward to most is that I'm going to have all my
books in one room at last, no matter HOW many shelves it takes. A
library of my very own! Heaven!

A friend gave me the British version of ES&L, and I loved it. And
another British friend gave me "Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary,
or why can't anybody spell?" which is fascinating. (You can imagine how
much it hurt to type that title exactly as it's written and not correct
the typos!)

Nina

Old March 11th 05, 02:21 PM
Katz

Nina K Pettis wrote:

A friend gave me the British version of ES&L, and I loved it. And
another British friend gave me "Accomodating Brocolli in the

Cemetary,
or why can't anybody spell?" which is fascinating. (You can imagine

how
much it hurt to type that title exactly as it's written and not

correct
the typos!)

I never read that one. And yes, I did a double-take at the sight of

"Accomodating." I personally think that might be the most commonly
misspelled word.

Until I read ES&L I didn't know that some British punctuation is
different from American. I'm glad I read the Preface & Foreword, or I
would have been freaked by the "full stops" after the "inverted
commas." LOL

Old March 11th 05, 02:44 PM
Marion

Oh! There's a secret to spelling "accommodating"! Decades ago,
I was teaching at a boarding school in England. Spelling was a
challenge to some of the girls, so I had a project for my class of
11-years olds -- every week I'd dig up a word and figure out a way
of helping them to spell it. "Accommodating" was the first word,
and the trick went like this:

During the war, two mothers each had a child. Their house was
bombed, so the two Mothers and two Children had to find new
accommodation.

Marion

Old March 11th 05, 03:53 PM
Katz

Marion wrote:
Oh! There's a secret to spelling "accommodating"!

So, can we make that into an airplane banner & fly it over the entire
English-speaking world? ;o)

I'd like to make another:

Attention: "It's" ALWAYS means "It is."
SO easy, but I don't think they teach it that easy way.

Old March 11th 05, 04:34 PM
Nina K Pettis

Katz wrote:

Marion wrote:

Oh! There's a secret to spelling "accommodating"!

So, can we make that into an airplane banner & fly it over the entire
English-speaking world? ;o)

I'd like to make another:

Attention: "It's" ALWAYS means "It is."
SO easy, but I don't think they teach it that easy way.

YES!! YES!! That's one of my pet peeves... can you tell?

Nina

Old March 11th 05, 06:06 PM
Cathi

In message . net, Nina
K Pettis writes
Katz wrote:

Marion wrote:

Oh! There's a secret to spelling "accommodating"!

So, can we make that into an airplane banner & fly it over the
entire
English-speaking world? ;o)
I'd like to make another:
Attention: "It's" ALWAYS means "It is."
SO easy, but I don't think they teach it that easy way.

YES!! YES!! That's one of my pet peeves... can you tell?

I possess both ES&L and ABITC - for anyone familiar with Keith
Waterhouse's columns, I should be a member of the Association for the
Abolition of Aberrant Apostrophes.

One thing that made me *fume* recently - a staffing agency looking for
someone to fill a PA type role, "good grammer essential". Fortunately I
didn't have a large marker pen about my person at the time ....
--
Cathi
Old March 11th 05, 08:24 PM
Katz

Cathi wrote:

I possess both ES&L and ABITC - for anyone familiar with Keith
Waterhouse's columns, I should be a member of the Association for the

Abolition of Aberrant Apostrophes.

One thing that made me *fume* recently - a staffing agency looking

for
someone to fill a PA type role, "good grammer essential".

Fortunately I
didn't have a large marker pen about my person at the time ....
--
Cathi

I guess "grammer" is important in this job, but spelling isn't. ;o)

In ES&L she has examples of "grammer" that include ads for educators.
LOL