My Ghost Cat

Old July 19th 05, 05:39 AM
Debra

Default My Ghost Cat

Several years ago hubby and I bought the house I grew up in. In 1970
I got a cat named Miss Kitty who slept with me until she passed on. I
grew up, moved away, and got married. When DH and I moved into the
house we knew we wanted pets, so we adopted two cats, Samson and Cleo,
about a year after we moved into the house. They slept in another
room for a long time. When we rescued a third cat (kitten named
Trouble) about four years ago, we started letting one of the older
cats sleep with us. A month or so later, we were in bed and thought a
cat had jumped on the bed to be near us, but there was no cat in the
room. It was obvious we both felt it because we both sat up a little
and looked in the same spot on the bed. We talked about it long
enough to know we had both had that same thing happen several times
over the past weeks and just hadn't said anything about it before.
Sometimes we are sure a cat is laying on one of our legs, but when we
look there is no cat and no reason for the extra weight on our legs
can be seen either. Sometimes the "invisible cat" just jumps onto the
bed, sometimes she lays on our feet or legs, and other times she walks
across the bed. I am pretty sure it is Miss Kitty (RB) making sure no
other cat usurps her place in the house or my heart. One night,
feeling slightly silly while I did it, I told her that she didn't need
to worry because I'd never forgotten her and the other kitties could
never take her place because she was the first kitty to live in the
house. The times when she comes seems to be less often now, but she
still comes. Our invisible cat.

Miss Kitty went to the Rainbow Bridge in the early 1980s, after a long
and happy life, but she still occasionally visits my bedroom.
Debra in VA
Old July 19th 05, 06:52 AM
Candace

Debra wrote:

Miss Kitty went to the Rainbow Bridge in the early 1980s, after a long
and happy life, but she still occasionally visits my bedroom.
Debra in VA

I definitely believe you. I've heard too many stories like this to not
think it could happen. My late cats visit me in dreams and I think
that is really them communicating with me, too.

A few years ago, on another newsgroup which shall remain nameless, we
had a thread going about stuff like this. One older man told a story
that went something like this:

He and his wife had a beloved cat (I don't remember the name, I'll say
"Kitty" here). Kitty died. They were very sad and missed him a lot.
At some point thereafter, the man's wife died. He and his wife had
been married for a long time and were very close and the man was truly
in deep grief at her loss. A couple of mornings after his wife died,
the man woke up to a pile of cat toys laying next to his bed (he lived
absolutely alone). They had never gotten rid of Kitty's toys and Kitty
used to bring toys into the bedroom while alive. The man felt that
Kitty's spirit was there and that he had gathered up his toys to
present to the man in the only way the kitty knew to comfort him.

That is totally unexplainable and the original story as told by the man
was far more eloquent and compelling than what I just wrote. I wish I
could find it again.

Candace

Old July 19th 05, 07:18 AM
Candace

Candace wrote:

That is totally unexplainable and the original story as told by the man
was far more eloquent and compelling than what I just wrote. I wish I
could find it again.

Acutally I just googled it and found the original post as well as
another remarkable one in the same thread but I don't know if it's
proper netiquette to post other posts. Some of the people posting in
that particular thread are current rpca posters. This was a thread
from 5 years ago. I did have the story a little off and the original
is much better than what I posted...

Candcae

Old July 19th 05, 12:33 PM
Enfilade

I entirely believe in these sorts of things...though you shouldn't feel
abandoned if your cat's spirit does not make its presence known...they
are all watching over us from the other side. They cannot forget us
any more than we can forget them.

I believe all your Ghost Cat wants is 1. to know that you will not
forget her and 2. to continue to be with you as best she can. If you
talk to her, leave things for her (she cannot consume food and will
rarely move toys but it is the gesture that matters to her) she will be
happy.

I know of a person who moved into a house where a spirit cat was
already in residence. He terrorized their cat and moved their stuff
around until they started setting out an extra bowl for him and
"Adopted" him into the family.. After that he left their cat alone
since he no longer felt she was going to eat all "his food." He never
physically ate his food, but their cat would not touch his food--it was
as though he consumed the "essence" out of it. With both getting equal
attention he became quite a nice family member

--Fil

Old July 19th 05, 04:49 PM
jmcquown

Debra wrote:
[...]

You're not crazy. My 17-1/2 year old dog Sampson (RB 1999) visited me
fairly regularly after his death. When he was alive he used to curl up by
my feet on the bed. When it stormed he'd come up closer and cuddle and make
sure I wasn't afraid (he was a sweet little mutt!). After he died, there
was a horrific storm and I reached out my hand and felt the comfort of his
fur... until I realized I couldn't possibly be feeling his fur because he'd
been dead for a year. I shook my head and felt his presence leave (it was
an odd feeling, I can't describe it) but I was left with a feeling of total
peace. The storm subsided and I fell back to sleep, very much comforted.
I'd been grieving terribly over the loss of my little dog but when I woke up
the next morning I felt everything was going to be okay.

January 6th, 2001, Persia showed up at my back door and *demanded* I let her
inside. Persia doesn't do anything halfway I think Sampson led her to
my house to give me comfort. She needed a home, I needed to fill the hole
in my heart.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...73563365pUsUIe

This is Persia before she got "fluffy"

Jill

Old July 19th 05, 04:54 PM
Dan M

Miss Kitty went to the Rainbow Bridge in the early 1980s, after a long
and happy life, but she still occasionally visits my bedroom.
Debra in VA

I love hearing about ghost cats!

My brother had a ghost cat that used to come visit him and his
physical-world cat, Samantha. The ghost cat was substantial enough that
one night when our mom was staying with him, she felt the ghost cat climb
on to her bed as well.

The ghost cat was somehow connected to Samantha cat. Shortly after
Samantha crossed the Rainbow Bridge the ghost cat stopped visiting.

Old July 20th 05, 12:02 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-07-19, Debra penned:
because she was the first kitty to live in the house. The times
when she comes seems to be less often now, but she still comes. Our
invisible cat.

Miss Kitty went to the Rainbow Bridge in the early 1980s, after a
long and happy life, but she still occasionally visits my bedroom.
Debra in VA

Thanks for sharing this. It's nice to think our friends may be
looking after us ... or at least making sure we remember them
properly!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old July 20th 05, 08:40 PM
JBHajos

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 04:39:07 GMT, Debra
wrote:

Miss Kitty went to the Rainbow Bridge in the early 1980s, after a long
and happy life, but she still occasionally visits my bedroom.

Oh, yes, that's so nice, isn't it? Our old cat, Baby, died shortly
before I planned to move back to Florida. He'd always slept with me
at night and during his last month or so, he spent nearly all his time
in the bedroom. After his death, the family was in another room when
we heard his usual distinctive "meow" calling me to bed now. We all
looked at each other, incredulous. We'd all heard it. And so it was
every night afterward.

After I left for Florida, my daughter and family moved into my
house. When moving in, she brought a new friend, Heather (who had not
yet met our family), to help. She was working in the center bedroom
when my son dropped by and, in the course of getting acquainted,
Heather mentioned she'd heard a cat cry from the master bedroom, but
when she investigated, could find no cat. Greg asked "Did it sound
like this?" and mimicked Baby's distinctive "meow". She agreed it
did and Greg told her, "Don't worry, that was only old Baby." Heather
had never heard Baby. She had never heard *OF* Baby. But she knew he
was there.

Poor old kitty. He didn't stay long after that - - things were
different, "his" bed was gone, his people were gone. He was never
heard from again.

Jeanne