Staywell magnetic cat flap.

Old July 10th 04, 11:04 PM
Dermuid

Default Staywell magnetic cat flap.

Nobody about on the other board soooooo,

I thought I would up grade and bough a staywell 400 magnetised doodah with
authentic mouse ball collar, well let me tell you here and now that the
magnetic cat flap is useless.
The reason being is the magnetic collar part must come into contact with the
base of the cat flap for it to work otherwise moggie stays out.
My cat uses his paws like a boxer to open the cat flap, once his paw gets
the thing open then he puts his head through.
With the staywell magnetic he would have to put his head through first
making sure his magnet collar bit came in contact with the base to open it.
There is not a cat in hells chance of that happening so I returned the thing
to the shop and got a refund.

The infra red ones are no better IMO.

Is there a cat flap available that does not require the cat to come into
contact as above before the thing will work, is there one that works as soon
as the cat comes within range of the flap so to speakith.

Thanks.

Old July 10th 04, 11:12 PM
Mary

Is there a cat flap available that does not require the cat to come into
contact as above before the thing will work, is there one that works as soon
as the cat comes within range of the flap so to speakith.

I had the same problem. I just had to make some adjustments and train my cat. I
needed to make him step up to get to the flap. This way he couldn't use his paw
to try and push it open. Here's my door
http://www.mary.cc/patches/images/upstairs.jpg I have no windows or doors on
floor level so I had to make this setup. I then trained him to push it with his
head rewarding him with treats on the other side of the door each time. You
also need to make sure the collar isn't tight so the magnetic ball will always
stay on the bottom so it will be close to the magnetic part. It took me half an
hour, but I finally figured it out and my cat could go in and out but not the
squirrels. A few months later the squirrels ate the door, cut the wires then
stole the battery and cover plate. I found it on the roof. Back to squirrels
and cats coming in and out of the door.

Old July 10th 04, 11:26 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Mary at
pam wrote on 7/10/04 5:12 PM:

[...]

ROFL!!!!I'm sure it isn't funny to you, but that is just priceless.

Old July 11th 04, 12:57 AM
Mary

ROFL!!!!I'm sure it isn't funny to you, but that is just priceless.

What truly baffled me was the missing face plate and battery. Months later I
was cleaning palm fronds off the roof and there they were with a chewed up corn
cob and peanut shells.

Old July 11th 04, 02:19 AM
Dermuid

:
[...]

That is a really good set up, great pic of the cat, squirrels are very
clever, there is not much they cant figure out given enough time, luckily I
do not have a problem with squirrels, plenty of cats though which I do not
mind until they start singing at 3.00am in my front room

Old July 11th 04, 02:33 AM
Dermuid

: That is a really good set up, great pic of the cat, squirrels are very
: clever, there is not much they cant figure out given enough time, luckily
: do not have a problem with squirrels, plenty of cats though which I do not
: mind until they start singing at 3.00am in my front room
:

And talking of visitors, right this minute 2 of them have just arrived are
in my kitchen looking for food