Cat breeding

Old August 15th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dragoman

Default Cat breeding

I've been lurking in this group for a while, getting nuggets of advice
here and there, and I can't help but notice the dogmatic attitude the
majority of the participants have towards the breeding of our masters.
It was made explicit in the recent thread about "breading", but it
was apparent in other threads too. Dogmatism, however, is never good.

For some reason, this dogma assumes that all cats are equal, and if you
want a kitten, go to the shelter where they're overflowing. Would that
be the same advice you would give to people that want to have children,
and would you yourself practice it? After all, the planet has more than
enough people, more than can be sustained, in fact, and the orphanages
and the third world countries are overflowing with unwanted kids, whose
fate you can only improve. So sterilize yourself, (or don't have
children), and adopt. If you have done so, and if this is the advice
you're giving to wannabe parents, then I submit - you have all the right
to advocate the same for cats. If you haven't however, please STFU.

The responsible attitude, as I see it, is not to let the kitties breed
indiscriminately - far from it - but to treat each on a case by case
basis. Don't spay/neuter the kitty until they are let's say 2 years old,
before considering if they are really that special kitty that deserves
having one litter. After all, they are /not/ created equal, and not each
is cute, smart, affectionate, healthy and playful. The same way one
would not adopt just any kitty from a shelter, and would skip the ugly,
dumb, sick and inferior (and most often would /not/ find one worth
adoption), one should give a chance to your pet, if (s)he has the
qualities that you like. In that case, if you have secured homes for the
eventual kittens with acquaintances that have been charmed by your
kitty's qualities and that want to have a similar one, find a suitably
fine mate, and let them have a litter. If however, you can't guarantee
homes for the litter, or if the kitty is not up to par (and I admit that
this is the hardest thing to decide, for they are like our children, and
it is very difficult to see and admit their faults), then of course,
visit the vet. But after that, love them doubly, if possible, to
compensated for the potential offspring that you have destroyed,
essentially killing them (in the grand scheme of things).
Old August 15th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Dragoman exclaimed (8/14/2009 9:04 PM):
[...]

Actually, I have chosen to not have children, and have occasionally
suggested adopting rather than bringing more children in to the world.
Been called deviant for not having kids, too. Seriously.

So, thank you for allowing me, as an American, to keep my first
amendment rights

I'm not as militant as some, but I still advocate not breeding unless
you truly have exceptional, pedigreed cats (if nobody at all bred cats,
and they were all spayed or neutered, they'd go extinct, after all).

I'm a horsewoman as well, where the problem is magnified, and I believe
even stables who's primary business is breeding, should concentrate on
training and give the mares a break while the economy sucks, rather than
producing more unsellable horses.

Right now, we don't need more cats, dogs, horses, or humans.

jmc
Old August 15th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Dragoman wrote:

I've been lurking in this group for a while

Apparently, Drag, you are nym-shifting or you are new to USENET.
The "STFU" comment suggests that you are new to USENET (or maybe
just trolling).

I can't help but notice the dogmatic attitude the majority of
the participants have towards the breeding

For some reason, this dogma assumes that all cats are equal, and
if you want a kitten, go to the shelter where they're
overflowing. Would that be the same advice you would give to
people that want to have children

But of course there is a big difference, Drag. Whether you pick up
a cat from a shelter or from a breeder, in either case you are not
bearing a child.

and would you yourself practice it? After all, the planet has
more than enough people, more than can be sustained, in fact,
and the orphanages and the third world countries are overflowing
with unwanted kids

At this point, I might argue about the fact that we human beings
are in control of our own population.

After all, they are /not/ created equal

In your opinion, Drag.

and not each is cute, smart, affectionate, healthy and playful.

They might be different, but almost all cats make good pets, if
you know how to manage them. The only exception I have experienced
is with my current feral female, but she is clearly mentally ill.

The same way one would not adopt just any kitty from a shelter,
and would skip the ugly, dumb, sick and inferior

To each his own, Drag. I do not adopt cats from a shelter, I take
them directly off of the street. The only qualification is that
the cat appears to be in need and that I have room/time for
another.
Old August 15th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dragoman

jmc wrote:
[...]

If that's really the case, as I said, I can't argue with you. You win by
default.

So, thank you for allowing me, as an American, to keep my first
amendment rights

I don't think this concerns exactly the First amendment, but you're
welcome.

Right now, we don't need more cats, dogs, horses, or humans.

That's true, but we can at least exercise some kind of control on who
exactly has offspring. Right now, it seems, in all species except
horses, it's the least desirable ones. You have the right to disagree
about it, of course - I know nothing about horses.
Old August 15th 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dragoman

John Doe wrote:
Dragoman wrote:

I've been lurking in this group for a while

Apparently, Drag, you are nym-shifting or you are new to USENET.
The "STFU" comment suggests that you are new to USENET (or maybe
just trolling).

First of all, it is 'Drago'. Second, what a ridiculous comment. STFU has
a long-lasting noble pedigree on Usenet, just like RTFM.

For some reason, this dogma assumes that all cats are equal, and
if you want a kitten, go to the shelter where they're
overflowing. Would that be the same advice you would give to
people that want to have children

But of course there is a big difference, Drag. Whether you pick up
a cat from a shelter or from a breeder, in either case you are not
bearing a child.

You are not bearing a child when you pick one up from an orphanage
either. What's your point?

After all, they are /not/ created equal

In your opinion, Drag.

Well, they are not. It's not a matter of opinion, just the way things
are. Natural selection wouldn't work if everybody was equal.

The same way one would not adopt just any kitty from a shelter,
and would skip the ugly, dumb, sick and inferior

To each his own, Drag. I do not adopt cats from a shelter, I take
them directly off of the street. The only qualification is that
the cat appears to be in need and that I have room/time for
another.

This is so only if your goal is a quixotic quest to save all cats. Mine
(and I believe most cat lovers') is not. I don't want to save all cats,
I just want to find the one that will be my friend and companion, and
such are rare and far between. You are not friends with all people you
know either; why should it be any different with cats?
Old August 15th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
HardySpicer

On Aug 14, 6:04*pm, Dragoman wrote:
I've been lurking in this group for a while, getting nuggets of advice
here and there, and I can't help but notice the dogmatic attitude the

Yes this holier than thow attitude will get you nowhere for sure.
Bunch of tree-hugging hippies.

Hardy

Old August 15th 09, 05:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

Dragoman dragoman moodragon.net.invalid wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Dragoman dragoman moodragon.net.invalid wrote:

I've been lurking in this group for a while

Apparently, Drag, you are nym-shifting or you are new to
USENET. The "STFU" comment suggests that you are new to USENET
(or maybe just trolling).

First of all, it is 'Drago'. Second, what a ridiculous comment.
STFU has a long-lasting noble pedigree on Usenet, just like
RTFM.

That is silly rhetoric, Drag. Anyway... Is trolling the reason you
are nym-shifting?

For some reason, this dogma assumes that all cats are equal,
and if you want a kitten, go to the shelter where they're
overflowing. Would that be the same advice you would give to
people that want to have children

But of course there is a big difference, Drag. Whether you pick
up a cat from a shelter or from a breeder, in either case you
are not bearing a child.

You are not bearing a child when you pick one up from an
orphanage either. What's your point?

That was my point, Drag, apparently you are having trouble
following your own line of reasoning.

After all, they are /not/ created equal

In your opinion, Drag.

Well, they are not. It's not a matter of opinion, just the way
things are. Natural selection wouldn't work if everybody was
equal.

We are not talking about natural selection, Drag, we are talking
about a personal choice. By the way... Where do you usually post under other nyms, Drag?

The same way one would not adopt just any kitty from a
shelter, and would skip the ugly, dumb, sick and inferior

To each his own, Drag. I do not adopt cats from a shelter, I
take them directly off of the street. The only qualification is
that the cat appears to be in need and that I have room/time
for another.

This is so only if your goal is a quixotic quest to save all
cats.

But in fact, Drag, I know that is not possible. I do not try to
save all cats. Like you, they are for companionship. The
difference is that I choose to kill two birds with one stone, by
taking in a cat(s) that is in need.

I just want to find the one that will be my friend and
companion, and such are rare and far between.

That sounds like a personal problem (or just more silly trollish
rhetoric) to me, Drag.

You are not friends with all people you know either; why should
it be any different with cats?

To paraphrase Will Rogers "I love a cat because he does nothing
for political reasons".

From: Dragoman dragoman moodragon.net.invalid
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Cat breeding
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:36:26 -0400

Old August 15th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dejablues[_4_]

"Dragoman" wrote in message

You are not bearing a child when you pick one up from an orphanage either.
What's your point?

Children are picked up from orphanages? Oh Happy Day!
Where are these orphanages and how might I pick up a child from one? I
thought that adopting a child was very difficult and expensive, but you have
given me hope!
Please tell me, where are these orphanages?

Old August 15th 09, 09:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Netmask[_2_]

jmc wrote:
[...]

and the pope should endorse homosexuality to reduce the burden on mother
earth, especially in south america, india and china.
Old August 15th 09, 09:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"HardySpicer" wrote in message
On Aug 14, 6:04 pm, Dragoman wrote:
I've been lurking in this group for a while, getting nuggets of advice
here and there, and I can't help but notice the dogmatic attitude the

Yes this holier than thow attitude will get you nowhere for sure.
Bunch of tree-hugging hippies.

Hardy

you will have more luck converting Osama Bin Lardarse to Christianity

breeding agapecharis Cat anecdotes 17 January 27th 07 10:37 PM
Cat Breeding Cowgirl Baby Cats - misc 4 March 23rd 06 10:06 PM
Cat breeding with its sisters [email protected] Cat anecdotes 9 June 29th 05 06:30 AM
Breeding In Ontario Terry Bender Cats - misc 0 May 5th 05 11:39 PM
Finding a tom cat for breeding... Mikey Cats - misc 4 August 20th 04 06:14 PM