Declawing "compulsory"?

Old May 16th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave Whiley

Default Declawing "compulsory"?

I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Old May 16th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 16 May 2007 17:56:55 GMT, "Dave Whiley"
wrote:

I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive
British TV will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11,
until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to
protect the young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in
England, please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT
the case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally)
laying into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm
that there is no such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

Oh, my! No, there is definitely NO such legal requirement here. In fact,
many Americans are vehemently opposed to declawing. I personally believe
it is a barbaric, cruel procedure.

--
Lynne
Old May 16th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"Dave Whiley" wrote in message
I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect
the young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England,
please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying
into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there
is no such legal requirement, please?

------------
There is absolutely no American law that says kittens have to be declawed
(by law) in the United States. Declawing is mutilation. It is not merely
removing the cat's claws but rather involves an actual amputation of the toe
up to the first joint. Most American rescue groups require that anyone who
adopts one of their cats/kittens sign an agreement that states that the cat
will NOT be declawed. Not only that, most American rescue groups would
encourage that all cats be indoor only. I think it is safe to say that most
of us on this group wish that there were a law that made it illegal to
declaw cats in the United States. England is far ahead of the USA in this
regard. Most people who declaw their cats are doing so to protect their
furniture. These cats are indoor-only cats. Young birds do not need to be
protected from indoor cats. To declaw an outdoor cat so that it can't
protect itself from predators is even worse.

This guy is a total idiot and I think you should ask him if he would like to
have all his fingers and toes amputed up to the first joint (which is what
declawing is).
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old May 16th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Patty

Dave Whiley wrote:

I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive
British TV will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11,
until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to
protect the
young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England,
please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT
the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally)
laying into this idiot, could any contributors from the States
confirm that there is no such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

I have had cats for more than 30 years and never had any declawed.
There is no such law in the US.

Patty
Old May 16th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave Whiley

"cindys" wrote in message

[...]

More or less what I thought the situation was. Thanks!

This guy is a total idiot and I think you should ask him if he would like
to have all his fingers and toes amputed up to the first joint (which is
what declawing is).

The very reason that my hackles were raised!

If I were feeling charitable, I could assume that he/she (only the initials
of letter-writers are published) thinks that declawing is our having our
fingernails cut. In which case, some education is greatly required.

Old May 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"Dave Whiley" wrote in message
I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect
the young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England,
please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying
into this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there
is no such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

--
Dave

Absolutely not! There are far more clawed than declawed cats in the U.S.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o' [with claws intact!!!]
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Old May 17th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sherry

On May 16, 12:56 pm, "Dave Whiley" not...@d-j-
whiley.WOSSNAMEfreeserve.co.uk wrote:
I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

--
Dave

Of course it isn't the case. I seem to recall it is actually illegal
in some city--Hollywood CA
IIRC.

Sherry

Old May 17th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Wed, 16 May 2007 18:56:55 +0100, Dave Whiley wrote:

I have just read a "letter to the editor" (those able to receive British TV
will find it on ITV1 teletext page 328, sub-page 3 of 11, until 17 May).

The letter includes this statement:

"I think in America all kittens have to be 'declawed' by law to protect the
young birds, especially the fledglings. Can we do this in England, please?"

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
such legal requirement, please?

Thanks!

The writer of that letter has a vivid imagination. MLB

Old May 17th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Now, from reading this group I'm 99.9(etc)% certain that this is NOT the
case. But, so that I can be sure of my facts before (verbally) laying into
this idiot, could any contributors from the States confirm that there is no
such legal requirement, please?

Of course it isn't the case. I seem to recall it is actually illegal
in some city--Hollywood CA IIRC.

West Hollywood, CA - go West Hollywood! (This is a separate city from
Hollywood, for anyone who cares.)

Joyce
Old May 17th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RobZip

"Lynne" wrote in message
. 97.142...

Oh, my! No, there is definitely NO such legal requirement here. In fact,
many Americans are vehemently opposed to declawing. I personally believe
it is a barbaric, cruel procedure.

Indeed it is, and not at all effective at keeping cats from hunting birds.
I've seen declawd cats still able to catch and kill - not as efficiently as
if they still had claws, but fooling oneself with the idea that it would
prevent bird predation by cats is not realistic.