Sprained my back

Old May 26th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Sprained my back

I can barely move, even a deep breath is excruciating. No idea how I managed
this... I dragged myself to the chiropractor who diagnosed a sprained muscle
in the back. Chiropractors here can't prescribe drugs and I couldn't find
the remainder of pain pills from my last dental extraction. (Aspirin
wouldn't touch this pain.) I phoned the local medical clinic and told them I
was in too much pain to go see them but could send a friend out for a
prescription if they would call the pharmacy. They refused. My dentist was
more merciful. I could have lied and told him it was a toothache but I
didn't. I also didn't expect him to comply, but he did. I am incredibly
grateful for that. I'm also putting ice on it from time to time.

But I'm way to busy to have a sprained back! I've got a long list of stuff
to do that ought to have been done weeks ago. And the worst part is today is
cool enough that I could get a lot done without getting overheated. Hot
weather slows me way down, I can't handle it, if it's only 80 F. I can sweat
without doing anything but breathe and be ready to have heat stroke within
half an hour if I'm active.

Old May 26th 11, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
I can barely move, even a deep breath is excruciating. No idea how I
managed this... I dragged myself to the chiropractor who diagnosed a
sprained muscle in the back. Chiropractors here can't prescribe drugs and I
couldn't find the remainder of pain pills from my last dental extraction.
(Aspirin wouldn't touch this pain.) I phoned the local medical clinic and
told them I was in too much pain to go see them but could send a friend out
for a prescription if they would call the pharmacy. They refused. My
dentist was more merciful. I could have lied and told him it was a
toothache but I didn't. I also didn't expect him to comply, but he did. I
am incredibly grateful for that. I'm also putting ice on it from time to
time.

Lots of luck that it will improve soon. I know what its like to search
around for painkillers.
I still have tramadol and volterol but it does not touch my shoulder pain.
It's so awful to be in pain and I hope you can find a painkiller for your
back soon
Tweed

Old May 26th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

"Pat" wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. Purrs for a rapid recovery.

--
Adrian
Old May 27th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
On May 26, 3:45 pm, "Pat" wrote:
[...]

I am not telling you to do this, since only you know yout medical
satus. I was
caught in a Catch-22 between dentist and primary care doc who would
not
venture nto each other's realm for pain I had from oral surgery
(details too
compliicated). I have barely controlled hypertension, and knowing that
ibuprofen
will raise your bp, I downed 3 200mg every 8 hours or so. *But* I have
high
pain tolerance, so that did it for me...reeduced the dental pain to a
low degree.
toothache. Dental pain subsided in about 3 days. This is called *self-
medication*
which is not recommended in general. Ibupofen is not in the ballpark
of the narcs
you all mention....and don't try 3 of those babies at once unless you
want to
quickly meet the Great Galactic Kitten face-to-face at the Bridge.
Seriously.
Of course you are not paying attention to the fact that yuu need bed
rest.
_______
You know as well as I do that iboprufen will not touch her pain.
When I (stupidly) did not seek med attention for my broken/disclocated
shoulder I was taking a huge amount of meds left over from my previous
operations.
Did not work.
If Pat's back does not improve soon, she should seek medical attention.
I wish I'd done this.

ileil

Old May 27th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

wrote

the narcs you all mention....and don't try 3 of those babies at once
unless
you want to quickly meet the Great Galactic Kitten face-to-face at the
Bridge. Seriously.

Right. I've got 7.5/650 Hydrocodone/APAP. Once took two, years ago, and that
was enough to scare me off ever again taking more than one at a time.

Of course you are not paying attention to the fact that yuu need bed

rest.

I had a long nap after making the OP. The meds helped with that!

Old May 27th 11, 07:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Christina Websell wrote

I still have tramadol and volterol but it does not touch my shoulder pain.
It's so awful to be in pain and I hope you can find a painkiller for your
back soon

Long after Dave came back with the prescription, it occurred to me to use my
standby trauma treatment: arnica gel topped with DMSO. This killed the pain
better than the ice and painkiller pill combined. I have just applied it
again and will be going to sleep, hoping to wake up in the morning with a
lot less pain.

Old May 27th 11, 07:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Adrian wrote

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain. Purrs for a rapid recovery.

I appreciate the good wishes. It was bad enough this morning that I screamed
and cried for a long time. It seemed to help.

Old May 27th 11, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Christina Websell wrote

You know as well as I do that iboprufen will not touch her pain.

Apparently what I've got is acetaminophen with synthetic codeine. It knocked
me out this afternoon. Just took a half-tablet this time.

If Pat's back does not improve soon, she should seek medical attention.

I've been to the chiropractor. Not sure what good seeing an MD would do.

Old May 28th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote

You know as well as I do that iboprufen will not touch her pain.

Apparently what I've got is acetaminophen with synthetic codeine. It
knocked me out this afternoon. Just took a half-tablet this time.

If Pat's back does not improve soon, she should seek medical attention.

I've been to the chiropractor. Not sure what good seeing an MD would do.

Just in case you've done something dire, like I did - like you did I thought
I had a bad sprain (to the shoulder, in my case)
I waited 2 and half weeks before seeking medical attention and found I had
both disclocated and fractured it.
Because of waiting I made it very difficult for the surgeon to repair it,
and that's why I am in the position I am in now, which is being confined to
the house and relying on other people to take me shopping for food even
after nearly 8 weeks post-op because it is still impossible for me to drive
and I don't live too near a shop.
I will *never* do it again - not seeking medical help that ist.
Last time I was at the hospital for shoulder attention I was asked "would
you dial 999 (your 911) now?"
I said "OMG, yes.."
She laughed and said "I think we might see you even for a little cut now.."
It's OK to be brave but I was too brave.
Don't do that yourself, Pat.
Tweed

Old May 28th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote

[...]

Well, she DID see a chiropractor, although they are better regulated in
some places than they are in others. (That involves degree of training,
etc. - although I'd be a bit leery if their licensing does not permit
them to write prescriptions.)