Burma Pictures OT

Old January 17th 04, 03:01 PM
badwilson

Default Burma Pictures OT

Ok, I've got some new pictures up. They are of my recent trip to Burma.
Dare I post them here? No freakin' flames this time, or I'll loooooooose
it! (Said in a most menacing manner ;-) The link is
http://tinyurl.com/37dzv and they are the last 23 pictures in the album.
The previous ones are from Dennis' other tours in Burma.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old January 17th 04, 03:42 PM
stocksRus

"badwilson" wrote in news:bubilh$fljsd$1@ID-
220597.news.uni-berlin.de:

http://tinyurl.com/37dzv

very cool pics. looks like one hellofa trip.
thanks
Old January 17th 04, 04:34 PM
Marina

"badwilson" wrote
Ok, I've got some new pictures up. They are of my recent trip to Burma.
Dare I post them here? No freakin' flames this time, or I'll loooooooose
it! (Said in a most menacing manner ;-) The link is
http://tinyurl.com/37dzv and they are the last 23 pictures in the album.
The previous ones are from Dennis' other tours in Burma.

The picture of you in the market place reminded me of this thing that
happened to my uncle. I may have told this story before. My uncle is about
two metres tall (6.5 feet, only exaggerating a little), and about as wide in
girth. He used to travel a lot for his work. One time, he visited Peking,
and he went to see some local monument or other sight-seeing site. A Chinese
family from the countryside happened to be visiting the same place to see
the monument, but when they spotted my uncle, they forgot all about it. They
swarmed around him, each family member wanted to pose in a picture with him,
and they were especially amused at his feet, which were about double the
size of any of theirs. The feet were also amply photographed. I'm sure that
somewhere, in a small Chinese village, they tell the tale of the huge giant
from Scandinavia and scare their kids that if they don't behave, he will
come and eat them. And they have the pictures to prove it.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Victor Martinez

Very cool!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 17th 04, 05:14 PM
Victor Martinez

Marina wrote:
somewhere, in a small Chinese village, they tell the tale of the huge giant
from Scandinavia and scare their kids that if they don't behave, he will
come and eat them. And they have the pictures to prove it.

LOL!!! A scandinavian giant... that's precious!

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 18th 04, 02:50 AM
badwilson

"Marina" wrote in message

"badwilson" wrote
[...]

Yes, that happens around here too. One of the pilots had his girlfriend
Nicole visiting from Canada. She's 6 foot tall. I went to the tiger zoo
with her and we were standing in front of the window where they had the baby
tigers suckling on the big pigs, when a Thai family approached us. The
husband snatched his baby girl out of his wife's hands and stuck her in
Nicole's arms and they proceeded to take a series of photos of Nicole the
giant woman with their baby. Weird.
Around here they also automatically think the tallest woman is the most
beautiful. When I was with Nicole, they would always tell her how beautiful
she is. No such comments for me, being only 5 foot 6. But when I hang with
my other friend Elsa, who is only 5 foot 1, I get the comments and Elsa
doesn't!

Old January 18th 04, 02:52 PM
Victor Martinez

badwilson wrote:
she is. No such comments for me, being only 5 foot 6. But when I hang with
my other friend Elsa, who is only 5 foot 1, I get the comments and Elsa
doesn't!

The perceived degree of beauty seems to be directly proportional to the
level of unattainability of a particular physical trait.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 18th 04, 03:10 PM
badwilson

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
badwilson wrote:
she is. No such comments for me, being only 5 foot 6. But when I hang

with
my other friend Elsa, who is only 5 foot 1, I get the comments and Elsa
doesn't!

The perceived degree of beauty seems to be directly proportional to the
level of unattainability of a particular physical trait.

Yup, totally. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
They also think that white skin is really beautiful. They buy all sorts of
skin whitening lotions and they think all the tourists are nuts for roasting
themselves on the beach. The tourists think all the locals are nuts for
going to the beach with jeans and a long sleeved shirt on and staying in the
shade all day.
Usually the foreign men who marry Thai women prefer the darker skinned, more
exotic looking ones. The Thais just laugh and say that the foreigners are
welcome to the ugly ones that look like they are straight off the farm.
I find these perceptions of beauty really interesting. I'm always watching
and listening for stuff like this. The only thing that totally bugs me is
that Thais think that a woman with muscles is not sexy. I think that's sad.

Old January 18th 04, 03:50 PM
John Biltz

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 7:10:13 -0800, badwilson wrote
(in message ):

badwilson wrote:
[...]

The light skin is pretty multicultural. It used to be like that in
Europe and America as well. Women used to carry parasols like Michael
Jackson to keep the sun off them. I think the idea was it showed you
didn't work, it was as much a sign of wealth as jewels.

Old January 18th 04, 05:32 PM
Cathi

In message , John
Biltz writes

The light skin is pretty multicultural. It used to be like that in
Europe and America as well. Women used to carry parasols like Michael
Jackson to keep the sun off them. I think the idea was it showed you
didn't work, it was as much a sign of wealth as jewels.

I think it was Coco Chanel that first popularised the idea of having a
suntan amongst white-skinned people, associating it with the means
necessary to go to hotter climates.

And of course in some parts of the world women want to be more "ample"
figure-wise - it indicates wealth, in that one obviously has enough to
eat. Whereas elsewhere skinniness is all. Ho hum ....
--
Cathi