Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?

Old January 31st 05, 08:57 PM
KellyH

"Margaret S." wrote in message
Were they all fed together? If this owner couldn't afford spaying, maybe
she
couldn't afford enough food to go around, and the males hogged it.

I really don't know. We just took the cats because it was an emergency
situation, they were being evicted.

Did any of the females get pyometra, or other uterus problems?

They were all spayed. The vet didn't tell us the status of the cat's
uteruses (uteri?). After they were spayed and nursed back to health, they
were fine. One was hyperthyroid. Many of the cats also had dental
problems, one had cancer, one has a cauliflowered ear from an ear infection
that was never treated.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 31st 05, 09:28 PM
Margaret S.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:02:48 -0500, KellyH wrote:
/snip/

Then what would have been your solution for hypothetical Granny and

Grandpa cat?

Thanks for putting it that way!

I'm trying to construct a model for the sort of situation where "remove the
uterus but leave the ovaries" would be an appropriate choice -- so I can
say, "If your situation is NOT like this, better desex."

I do worry about people trying to keep a non-desexed animal in the wrong
sort of environment/lifestyle! Even if they have plenty of safe outdoor
space, some people seem so inexperienced that I wouldn't trust them with a
normal animal. Better those people should do the conventional desexing, so
they will have plenty of support on later problems.

I want to get the non-desexing information to the experienced
litter-producing owners who really need it -- without tempting inexperienced
owners into trying something they can't handle.

Margaret S.
--
http://www.sangerfan.com Alternatives to Spaying / Neutering
Nothing I say is professional advice. Consult your own doctor, lawyer,
Old January 31st 05, 10:05 PM
KellyH

"Margaret S." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I give. You make no sense. Still don't see why these cats can't be spayed
and neutered.

Old January 31st 05, 10:09 PM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
"Margaret S." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I already told you, Kelly. It's a Grand Philosophy of human
construct. The cats do not matter.

Old February 1st 05, 11:03 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .

Vasectomy has worked in other feral colonies.

No it doesn't. Been there done that. Spermatozoa remains in feline
ejaculates for *7 weeks* after vasectomy. If you actually knew what you are
talking about you would know that, and if you've actually worked with
ferals - which I doubt you have, you'd know a tom can do a helluva lotta
slam dunkin' in 7 weeks.

The view from your seat in the bleachers is very different from the view on
the field.

The key to reducing feral births is the *female*. Not the male.

Now pay attention and learn something, so people might stop laughing at your
utter stupidity.

100 female + 100 males = 100 litters. Are you with me so far?

100 females + 50 males = 100 litters. Gee, how about that!

I'll make this very easy for you to understand.

100 females + 1 male = 100 litters.

Now watch this:

100 males + 1 female = 1 litter.

Do you get the picture or do you need color slides?

You're so wrapped up in your self-reinforcing delusion about vasectomy,
oophorectomy (that's ovariectomy to you), and tubal ligation that your
missing the most important and ultimately determining factor against these
surgeries. Can you guess what that is? I don't think you have a clue.

NONE of these surgeries BENEFIT THE CAT.

All your bull**** about vasectomies and tubals is really about *you* and
*your* hangups and neurotic phobias and not about the cats.

Old February 1st 05, 11:15 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:10:17 -0500, KellyH wrote:
"Margaret S." wrote in message
... /snip/

If a neighborhood female happens to mate only with the vasectomied tom

(as can happen in some neighborhoods, at least occasionally), he may bring
her out of that heat without getting her pregnant.

/snip/

That's a pretty stupid reason. If I had a neighborhood unspayed female,

I'd get her spayed.

Can you catch all the loose females in your neighborhood?

Another math lesson:

100 female + 100 males = 100 litters. Are you with me so far?

100 females + 50 males = 100 litters. Gee, how about that!

I'll make this very easy for you to understand.

100 females + 1 male = 100 litters.

Now watch this:

100 males + 1 female = 1 litter.

Did you get it this time?

What if some of
them are wearing ID, and the owner does not give permission for surgery on
his animal?

If the cat is roaming free intact... What ID? I didn't see any ID. As
far as I'm concerned, if some asshole is directly responsible for the death
of dozens of unwanted litters, sorry, that person forfeits their right and
should be fined or better yet, jailed.

Old February 1st 05, 11:19 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:11:58 GMT, BarB wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:43:08 GMT, "Margaret S."
wrote:

/snip/

Re rudeness, you must have a good killfile, if you've missed all the rude
posts here. I don't usually killfile.

The rudeness ain't nothing compared to your utter stupidity.

My question to you is have you had a vasectomy done on a cat? If so,
what did it cost?

I haven't shopped for it lately. My impression is that it might be a bit
more expensive as it is more difficult,

That sure sounds like a "no" to me. So you don't really practice what
you're preaching, eh, Maggie?

Old February 1st 05, 11:27 AM
Phil P.

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:05:12 -0600, Karen Chuplis wrote:
/snip/

OMG! What VET in their right mind would do this??

That's what I wondered too.

That's the bottom line, isn't it?

I've lived in several parts of the US and dealt with quite a few vets, and
none of them had any problem with "remove the uterus but leave the

ovaries."
One advised that as being safer than tubal ligation.

....but not as BENEFICIAL TO THE CAT and the feline population in general as
ovariohysterectomy.

You do know what amputation without medical benefit is, don't you? MAYHEM.

And what surgical and anesthetic risks are without medical benefit? UTTER
STUPIDITY,