My cats and Tuna

Old March 2nd 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
David Mooney

Default My cats and Tuna

"Tara Legale" wrote in message
Are you talking cat food tuna or people tuna? I have a few cats who will
only eat cat food tuna products, tuna and cheese is their favorite. When
I make myself tuna I always drain the tuna water out and dole it out for
the cats, they love the juice.

I am talking about people tuna. I want to thank everyone who has responded
because now I KNOW not to feed my cats tuna too much. My cats drank the
juice and then began eating the meat. I will feed them this tuna once a week
or so. Thanks to alll of you for letting me know.

Regards,
David M

Old March 2nd 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

I live in Florida it is at a local supermarket they have here.

"Tara Legale" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote
I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from the store
and they love it

You can buy just tuna juice? Where do you live? I'm in Wisconsin. My
cats would LOVE that.

Old March 2nd 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cindys

"David Mooney" wrote in message
I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

----------
My cats love tuna, especially the juice. That was all Molly ate in her last
year of life. But I supplemented her with feline vitamins. Cats require
certain vitamins and minerals to maintain their health. If they eat only
tuna, they will begin to suffer from vitamin deficiencies, so it should only
be for a treat. They need to eat cat food. But there is no shortage of
canned cat foods with tuna in them, so that could be a compromise.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Old March 2nd 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bobblespin

"David Mooney" wrote in
:

I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and
they all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed
them and they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in
the can but they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone
here feeds their cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

Thanks,
David M

An article by a vetenarian appeared in our newspaper recently:

"Cats shouldn't eat much tuna

Bernhard Pukay
Citizen Special Monday, February 05, 2007

Q: A few years ago, a veterinarian told me not to feed tuna to cats
because they would go blind. My daughter had a beautiful black cat that
went blind and eventually died. I had told her over and over not to feed
him tuna, but my advice fell on deaf ears. She now has three young cats
and all are eating tuna (along with dry kibble). Please tell her that I
am right by begging her not to feed her cats tuna. I can't stand to
think of these precious animals going blind.

A: Your advice is correct up to a point. There is nothing wrong with
feeding tuna fish to cats so long as the amount of tuna that you are
feeding is limited to small treats and only if fed occasionally.

Cats can easily become addicted to fish and especially to tuna. Tuna
contains high amounts of unsaturated fatty acids, which can be harmful
to cats if fed in excess. Feeding too much fish (and tuna in particular)
can lead to a disease called "steatitis" or "yellow fat disease," an
inflammation of the body fat.

While this disease was relatively common in the past, it is fairly rare
nowadays because of the availability of nutritionally well-balanced
commercial diets.

Tuna-flavoured diets do not pose a risk because they contain very little
or no tuna.

Feeding excessive amounts of tuna does not, however, cause blindness. In
fact, what it does cause is a generalized inflammation of the body fat,
resulting in severe pain, reluctance to move, lethargy, fever, appetite
loss and a greasy or dull hair coat.

Treatment consists of eliminating tuna from the diet, supplementing with
extra vitamin E and feeding a nutritious well-balanced diet. In some
cases, steroids and painkillers may be required.

Let your daughter know that if she wants to feed tuna to her cats, she
can do so but only occasionally and only small amounts at a time.

Dr. Bernhard Pukay is an Ottawa veterinarian..."
Old March 3rd 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Fri 02 Mar 2007 02:26:59p, Tara Legale wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

"Matthew" wrote
I feed it to them as a treat. I get tuna juice packets from
the store and they love it

You can buy just tuna juice? Where do you live? I'm in
Wisconsin. My cats would LOVE that.

I'm sure he means tuna *packed in* juice packets. "Tuna juice" is a
by product of tuna packed in liquid, not just the liquid. I know you
know that.

--
Cheryl
Old March 3rd 07, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tara Legale

"Cheryl" wrote
I'm sure he means tuna *packed in* juice packets.

I'm not sure. I mean, I know you can buy cans of clam juice. That is why
I had to ask.

Old March 3rd 07, 10:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

Tuna juice? in packs. Not heard of that here.

Old March 3rd 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stick Waver

silvercelt wrote:

They can't live off just tuna. I sometimes give a bit as a treat.

Unless it's cat tuna that comes in a cat food can.
Old March 3rd 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Moongal

"David Mooney" wrote in message
I usually feed my cats Purina dry food but yesterday I tried tuna and they
all loved it! I bought several cans of tuna this morning to feed them and
they loved it again. Each cat eats about half of what is in the can but
they will eat the rest. I would like to know if anyone here feeds their
cats tuna and whether their cats love it or not.

Thanks,
David M

My cats adore tuna! They get it once in a while. Whenever I am going to
cook with it I squeeze the tuna water out into bowls for them.

Old March 7th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
silvercelt

On 3 Mar, 14:01, Stick Waver wrote:
silvercelt wrote:
They can't live off just tuna. I sometimes give a bit as a treat.

Unless it's cat tuna that comes in a cat food can.

That is not normal tuna....they can't just live off it as they not get
enough vitamins which is needed in a balanced diet.