A True Story......Dedicated To All Of You Who Have Raised Daughters

Old September 16th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default A True Story......Dedicated To All Of You Who Have Raised Daughters

You know, I think there was a day when ironing was the only LEGAL stress
relief a woman had! I am the only one in my group of women that irons and,
it is just that, a way of relaxing. When I first told the women at work I
had finally caught on the ironing, I actfually had to explain to some of the
younger ones what that was!
"Lesley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 15 Sep, 13:06, Enfilade wrote:

I remember my best friend going out and buying me a wire whisk
"because I don't care if /you/ beat eggs with a spoon, but I'm making
eggs PROPERLY when I'm over here."

I use a fork to beat eggs, I don't even own a wire whisk- perhaps I
should get one-just lately I keep buying odd bits fot the flat today I
got one of those wire racks for keeping bottles etc tidy in the
bathroom

I'm terrible with domestic appliances. When Dave was almost ready to
come out of hospital, one of the nurses (Evangeline) said it would be
a real help when Dave got home for helping his back to heal if I
ironed his t-shirts

There was a long silence followed by me saying "Okay but do you
recommend any particular iron? I am going to have to go out and buy
one"

My mum was a compulsive ironer, she even ironed dusters and tea towels
and she would stand in the middle of the room whilst ironing and go on
about how much she hated it so it's left me with a kind of phobia
about ironing I gladly pay extra for non-iron things

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 16th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:

I'm terrible with domestic appliances. When Dave was almost ready to
come out of hospital, one of the nurses (Evangeline) said it would be
a real help when Dave got home for helping his back to heal if I
ironed his t-shirts

I do not understand this. How does your ironing his shirts help his
back??? Would you be spraying some extra-starchy stiffening agent onto
them so they would be back-supporting, or something?

My mum was a compulsive ironer, she even ironed dusters and tea towels
and she would stand in the middle of the room whilst ironing and go on
about how much she hated it so it's left me with a kind of phobia
about ironing I gladly pay extra for non-iron things

It is one of the most boring tasks I know of, although I can understand
why some folks consider it relaxing. My mother and I used to do it together
sometimes - taking turns, that is, but hanging out together and talking
while one or the other of us ironed. So I don't have any childhood
trauma related to it. I just don't find it a very interesting or
particularly relaxing task any more. And my mother isn't around to
chat with me when I do it because she's 3000 miles away.

I don't iron regularly, but I sew a lot, and ironing is sometimes
important during certain parts of a sewing project. Or I will iron
an item of clothing I want to wear that's been in the closet for
years getting all wrinkly. But that's about it. Most clothes have
some fiber blend that prevents wrinkles, so it's usually not necessary.

Joyce
Old September 17th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Granby" wrote in message
You know, I think there was a day when ironing was the only LEGAL stress
relief a woman had! I am the only one in my group of women that irons
and, it is just that, a way of relaxing. When I first told the women at
work I had finally caught on the ironing, I actfually had to explain to
some of the younger ones what that was!

Well there was always making bread. I'm sure more than one ball of dough
that was being kneaded got beat half to death instead of the real object of
Grandma's frustration.

Jo

Old September 17th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

yeah, I am sure you are right. I saw my mother beat bread dough so much.,
it is a wonder is ever raised up off the table!

Old September 17th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 16 Sep, 15:13, wrote:
Lesley wrote:

I'm terrible with domestic appliances. When Dave was almost ready to
come out of hospital, one of the nurses (Evangeline) said it would be
a real help when Dave got home for helping his back to heal if I
ironed his t-shirts

I do not understand this. How does your ironing his shirts help his
back??? Would you be spraying some extra-starchy stiffening agent onto
them so they would be back-supporting, or something?

I think she was worried that if his t-shirt was creased and resting
against where he had some new skin coming through it might crease the
skin itself, which is a big no-no

Old September 18th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:53:02 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

You know, I think there was a day when ironing was the only LEGAL stress
relief a woman had! I am the only one in my group of women that irons and,
it is just that, a way of relaxing. When I first told the women at work I
had finally caught on the ironing, I actfually had to explain to some of the
younger ones what that was!

I don't mind ironing, but it's kind of hard to get started seeing's
how as soon as I set up the ironing board, at *least* one cat jumps up
on it to check out and thoroughly inspect the situation. Then I have
to sweep off any newly deposited pootie hair and keep an eagle eye on
things from there on out.

-bonbon
Old September 18th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"bonbon" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:53:02 -0500, "Granby" wrote:

You know, I think there was a day when ironing was the only LEGAL stress
relief a woman had! I am the only one in my group of women that irons
and,
it is just that, a way of relaxing. When I first told the women at work I
had finally caught on the ironing, I actfually had to explain to some of
the
younger ones what that was!

I don't mind ironing, but it's kind of hard to get started seeing's
how as soon as I set up the ironing board, at *least* one cat jumps up
on it to check out and thoroughly inspect the situation. Then I have
to sweep off any newly deposited pootie hair and keep an eagle eye on
things from there on out.

-bonbon

Right! That's why I don't iron. (Gotta remember this one)

Jo

Old September 21st 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:36:07 -0700, Lesley wrote:

On 16 Sep, 15:13, wrote:
Lesley wrote:

I'm terrible with domestic appliances. When Dave was almost ready to
come out of hospital, one of the nurses (Evangeline) said it would be
a real help when Dave got home for helping his back to heal if I
ironed his t-shirts

I do not understand this. How does your ironing his shirts help his
back??? Would you be spraying some extra-starchy stiffening agent onto
them so they would be back-supporting, or something?

I think she was worried that if his t-shirt was creased and resting
against where he had some new skin coming through it might crease the
skin itself, which is a big no-no

In my experience, at least, T-shirts tend to be made of a very soft cotton
that won't hold a hard crease. Shirts made from cotton will
wrinkle, but it is still a fairly soft wrinkle compared to some other
fabrics. What little ironing I do these days is mostly limited to the
occasional collar. For some reason, certain collars tend to curl up
spontaneously when they go through the dryer, and have to be ironed back
into shape.

--
John F. Eldredge --