Mixing an older cat with the younger ones?

Old May 1st 04, 12:31 AM
dgk

Default Mixing an older cat with the younger ones?

I can't believe I'm even considering this. There is a cat (Jackie) at
the local pet shop. She was one of 29 cats that lived with a rescuer
but he got too sick to take care of them. So, at age 12 or 13, she is
now in a cage at the pet shop with five or six other cats.

She is one very scrawny cat and I feel terrible for her. I have two
very active cats (Espy and Nipsy) both around 2 years old. They both
share a single litter box with no problems. Yes, I know there should
be more but I don't want more and I clean it out twice a day. I doubt
this will work with three cats and one litter box but I really don't
have a place to put a second one. Well, I suppose I do but I could
live without it.

Anyway, do you folks think that this cat can get along with these
active boys? Espy is 11 pounds and Nipsy is 16 (part Maine Coon I
think). Jackie might be 6. Apparently healthy, no diseases and all
shots. Fixed and not declawed. Neither are E and N. I hear she hates
dogs but gets along ok with other cats.

Most cats die by 12 or 13. I think this cat is going to cost a lot of
money fairly soon and that is something of an issue.

Oh, why am I bothering to write. No one here is going to tell me to
leave that cat in the pet shop. Thats why I love you folks. Please,
someone, talk me out of this insanity.

Well, hopefully someone will be adopt her soon and get me off the
hook. If I see her there another week it is going to be very tough to
leave her there.

Old May 1st 04, 03:13 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , dgk at
wrote on 4/30/04 6:31 PM:

[...]

Just a comment on boxes. I have three cats and two boxes in a one bedroom
apt. I have one in the bathroom (they use this the most) and one in the
bedroom (very light usage). I bought an office matt for the bedroom corner
(since it is carpeted) and I have a little privacy screen for that one. They
don't use it a lot, but the choice is there if the "good" one is being used.
My bedroom does NOT smell. I scoop both boxes once a day.

Karen