taking the plunge - moral support

Old September 3rd 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sue[_2_]

Default taking the plunge - moral support

Next Saturday I am going to the town shelter to look at kittycats. It has
been more than 20years since I had the best cat in the world, Shadow
kitten.

Sigh. I know I will never have a cat like her again. But I saw a picture on
petfinder. Grey tuxedo yes, looks like my Shadow. Her name is Sadie.
She is one year old and the lady I have been emailing, doesn't know her
history but says the folks at the shelter will. She does remember her
as "feisty" hmmmm... don't know if I can handle feisty. I haven't held a
kitty in about 20 years. And the last kitty I petted (was trying to adopt
one from a foster home, thought I had found the "one" and he bit me, badly,
very badly. Was a declawed kitty and they didn't know why he had been
dumped, think they know now, unfortunately) The biter kind of made me
gunshy though I have been bitten by dogs, horses (too many horses) I never
had a bite get that nasty. So I might not want to handle feisty though
they say she is a love bug when she gets to know you.

Anyway, so I am off to meet kitties next Saturday. Maybe Sadie, maybe
somebody else. Maybe nobody. Will wait and see who warms up to me and says
to take him/her home. I have no preferences really about the gender or the
color. Or the age as long as they are grown up. This will be an only
Kitty. We can only have one here. My Shadow was an only cat and didn't
seem to be missing anything though she was raised that way. Sadie (feisty)
has just learned to get along with other cats according to her blurb on the
web, so I was thinking maybe she wouldn't mind not having to continue to
get along with them There is a big crabapple tree in the dining room
window with a lot of bird and squirrel action. All the windows have wide
sills for kittes and I am also willing to get a fish tank for kitty
entertainment and my mother lives in the same complex and would come by to
visit almost every day when I am at work.

That is why I am not getting a kitten. Even though I will feel safer with a
kitten (uh, but look up my old story about 2 lb Shadow kitten sometime
and helping to "form" their little personality I work long hours and a
kitten really needs more company than I can provide right now.

The shelter person doesn't think I am bad for keeping an only kitty. She
says some of the kitties at the shelter have been there so long they would
be thrilled for some privacy and their own place and person. Hope I am
doing the right thing.

Sue
Old September 3rd 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Old one year old kittens need love to. I didn't let Charlie get Jake until
after he retired because I think you do shape the personality of a young
kitten. And leaving her home alone a lot isn't the way I'd like to shape
one. A grown up kitten sleeps more than a bitty and is more able to work
its activity to meet your schedule. Unless of course you really expect to
sleep soundly from 9pm to 8am.

OK Bast, we have a good home for one of you children. Send the right one
OK?

Jo

Old September 3rd 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped

"Sue" wrote in message
[...]

Declawed cats tend to become biters - and have litterbox "issues", and
usually a very cranky disposition when they get older because they get
really, really bad arthritis from having their paws mutilated.

[...]

I wouldn't worry about her being an only cat - cats are crepuscular (they
are most active at dawn and dusk) because they evolved in desert conditions,
and, like most desert creatures, tend to spend the day sleeping.

That is why I am not getting a kitten. Even though I will feel safer with
kitten (uh, but look up my old story about 2 lb Shadow kitten sometime
and helping to "form" their little personality I work long hours and a
kitten really needs more company than I can provide right now.

The shelter person doesn't think I am bad for keeping an only kitty. She
says some of the kitties at the shelter have been there so long they would
be thrilled for some privacy and their own place and person. Hope I am
doing the right thing.

I think you are! Good luck, con-cat-ulations, and I look forward to reading
lots and lots of hooli-kitten stories (one-year-olds still have plenty of
"kitten" left in them!).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sue

Old September 3rd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On 3 Sep, 11:54, Sue wrote:
Next Saturday I am going to the town shelter to look at kittycats. It has
been more than 20years since I had the best cat in the world, Shadow
kitten.

She sounds lovely and if not her, I am sure some other cat will look
at you and you'll say "Mine!" Then of course, you will have all the
chores of slavery again, feeding, litterbox cleaning, posting
photographs and funny stories to us here

The shelter person doesn't think I am bad for keeping an only kitty. She
says some of the kitties at the shelter have been there so long they would
be thrilled for some privacy and their own place and person.

I imagine they would be just so glad to have somewhere to call their
forever home

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 3rd 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

The shelter person doesn't think I am bad for keeping an only kitty. She
says some of the kitties at the shelter have been there so long they would
be thrilled for some privacy and their own place and person. Hope I am
doing the right thing.

Sue

You're definitely doing the right thing. If it makes you feel any
better, all mine spend most of the day snoozing and get up around Tea
time. The only one who is busy busy all day is Miss Lily Whiskers, and
she goes next door to pester the neighbour (who always has treats for
her ;o))

May Bast send you ther perfect owner.
Helen M

Old September 3rd 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 3, 1:54 pm, Sue wrote:
[...]

Good luck, Sue. I'm really glad you're taking the plunge, and I know
you will be too.
I know you're going into this with a lot of thought, and I'm glad.
Really glad
you're looking at older cats. Maybe the shelter personnel can help you
find
the perfect one who'll be happy as an "only" cat. Since you do work
long
hours, there are many cats who would *not* be happy alone, indoors.
And, some are very happy to be the "only cat." Lots of them here on
this group;
Persia is one, and there are others.
Biskit would be *perfectly* happy to be an only cat, with an owner who
was away in the
daytime, and to never stick her little nose out the door ever. She
would be in kitty-heaven.
She loves her 8-10 a.m. sunbeam at the front door, though.
I hope some lucky cat with her kind of personality finds you!
Sherry

Old September 3rd 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Sep 3, 2:38 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

I wouldn't worry about her being an only cat - cats are crepuscular (they
are most active at dawn and dusk) because they evolved in desert conditions,
and, like most desert creatures, tend to spend the day sleeping.

That's true with just about all cats, but we found an exception once.
Blacky the foster cat.
Blacky got adopted to a home with no other cats and an owner who
worked. He destroyed
the mini blinds the first week. He never did that at home. The people
who adopted him
even consulted a behaviorist, who said he had separation anxiety and
was just plain lonely.
They ended up bringing him back because they didn't want to try 2
cats.
I don't know how often that happens.

Sherry

Old September 3rd 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sue[_2_]

Sherry wrote:

On Sep 3, 2:38 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:

I wouldn't worry about her being an only cat - cats are crepuscular (they
are most active at dawn and dusk) because they evolved in desert
conditions, and, like most desert creatures, tend to spend the day
sleeping.

That's true with just about all cats, but we found an exception once.
Blacky the foster cat.
Blacky got adopted to a home with no other cats and an owner who
worked. He destroyed
the mini blinds the first week. He never did that at home. The people
who adopted him
even consulted a behaviorist, who said he had separation anxiety and
was just plain lonely.
They ended up bringing him back because they didn't want to try 2
cats.
I don't know how often that happens.

Sherry

That is why I am not getting a kitten and am looking for an older cat that
maybe isn't looking to be with other cats and/or kids. I was very lucky
(strange word, since maybe we shaped her that way, maybe not). My old
Shadow never seemed to care about furry companionship or eventually, human,
during the day or even night! She was her "own" cat and while not
unfriendly wasn't friendly. She amused herself mostly with her windows.
And life was good with food, binkies, window with squirrels and birds! Hard
to describe.

It is tempting to get a kitten. Thinking maybe, it will learn like she did,
that alone isn't bad. But I really think they have their own personalities
and natures. Shadow I think was just that way, she didn't need another cat
and managed fine without close people. Found her in a pet shop cage with
someone who was obviously her brother. But she didn't interact with him.
Was sitting outside the litter box he was dozing in and when the staff took
her out and put her in my arms, she popped right out and went to
investigate the fish food aisle! I think that was just her way Maybe
there is a kitty out there that would like to be spoiled rotten with the
lazy good life. Watch TV, aquarium, birds, squirrels and bugs during the
day. Get fed and petted at night and maybe chase a laser dot around when
they get too flabby LOL Maybe for some kitties, like some people that
would be "the life"
Old September 3rd 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Sue wrote:
Next Saturday I am going to the town shelter to look at kittycats.
It has been more than 20years since I had the best cat in the world,
Shadow kitten.

snip

Lots of good luck purrs on the way, I hope you and Sadie, or which ever cat
you adopt, have a very happy life together. I can't say I'm surprised you
were bitten by the declawed cat, it' s quite common when that's their only
line of defense, he/she was probably feeling very stressed. I'm glad
declawing is illegal in nearly every country in the world.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old September 3rd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sue[_2_]

Adrian A wrote:

Lots of good luck purrs on the way, I hope you and Sadie, or which ever
cat you adopt, have a very happy life together. I can't say I'm surprised
you were bitten by the declawed cat, it' s quite common when that's their
only line of defense, he/she was probably feeling very stressed. I'm glad
declawing is illegal in nearly every country in the world.

That declawd kitty - I didn't set out to adopt him. I had gone to see a
kitten at the shelter (black tuxedo) who they brought from another foster
home. She was gorgeous and unfriendly! Frankly, like my Shadow. But for
some reason I got talked into visiting another foster home where there was
a beautiful adult black male. He was a stray and they didn't know his
story. Declawed and already neutered when they found him. Breathtaking cat.
Declawing, I don't believe in it myself. Shadow absolutely destroyed my
furniture for her all of nine years/lives. She couldn't be trained out of
it since apparently she considered it her "thing". Long story. But I
figured, hey, he is already declawed so I won't hold that against him! He
didn't like other cats so was kept in his very own room. Nice room. I
spent a long time with him at first. He was very affectionate and liked
petting. I met the lady's other cats then went back to see him, all ready
to adopt him. He was in his basket and all I did was just stroke him, and
he sunk his teeth into my hand. Very, very bad. Hard to get him loose.
We poured peroxide over it right away but I still got a very bad infection.
Only other cat that ever bit me was Shadow when she was a teensy weensy
kitten with a URI. We couldn't get her to eat except for some baby food
and very bloody raw roast beef shavings. She mistook my thumb for a
shaving she didn't mean that at all LOL

I have been off cats since. And actually afraid of thema bit. Weird since
so much of my life was spent with them before.