How do you know when it's time?

Old September 9th 03, 04:48 AM
Bill

Default How do you know when it's time?

My 16 yo cat, Shelia, was diagnosed with severe CRF a week ago Fri. The vet
gave subQ fluids and that seemed to help a lot. She perked up. Was very
feisty. And even bit me a couple of times when I tried to give her the subQ
fluids. But I've been managing that.

But something seemed to happen on Sun. I went away and when I came back she
was hiding and like a dishrag. I was hoping today's dose of subQ fluids would
perk her up. But it did not seem to help.

Obviously, I want to keep her alive, but I don't want to torture her. Any
thoughts?

Thanks.

Bill (who is very sad)

Old September 9th 03, 08:25 AM
Misty9999

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:16:30 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Bill at
wrote on 9/8/03 10:48 PM:

My 16 yo cat, Shelia, was diagnosed with severe CRF a week ago Fri. The vet
gave subQ fluids and that seemed to help a lot. She perked up. Was very
feisty. And even bit me a couple of times when I tried to give her the subQ
fluids. But I've been managing that.

But something seemed to happen on Sun. I went away and when I came back she
was hiding and like a dishrag. I was hoping today's dose of subQ fluids would
perk her up. But it did not seem to help.

Obviously, I want to keep her alive, but I don't want to torture her. Any
thoughts?

Thanks.

Bill (who is very sad)

I'm very sad for you Bill. It's a very hard decision. I think however, you
really need to get some vet guidance. I know that Arjun who posts here
sometimes has had an agressive approach and pulled a kitty through a bad
crash, but he is much younger. My thoughts are with you.

All long time cat owners have been through this issue. Over the course
of your lifetime , you will have to face this issue many times. I
would recommend that you get a second opinion or even a third opinion
from other Vets. The first time you have to face an issue of this
magnitude is the hardest. It is NEVER easy. The most important thing
is the QUALITY of life for the cat. She has given you many years of
joy and loyalty. You must do the right thing for her.

You have to try to be as objective as possible. I know how hard that
is. You owe it to her to make an OBJECTIVE decision. On cats ten (
arbitrary number , but within the usual range ) or more years old , it
is always a quality of life issue. If her quality of life is going to
be low because of this illness , you must accept the fact that you
might have to put her down. Don't ever feel guilty or let anybody else
lay a guilt trip on you for having to make a decision to put a cat
down. It is a part of cat ownership that ( they own you , but you know
what I mean) we all will face. She KNOWS you will make the right
decision. Best wishes and good luck on whatever decision you have to
make.

Old September 9th 03, 08:25 AM
Misty9999

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:16:30 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Bill at

Old September 9th 03, 08:25 AM
Misty9999

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:16:30 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Bill at

Old September 9th 03, 09:14 PM
DG511

I'm really sorry about your cat.

The advice to get a second opinion is a good one. And if possible, talk with a
vet (your regular one or the second opinion one, whichever you feel most
comfortable with) about prognosis and quality of life.

When my first two cats were terminally ill, I had a long talk with my vet after
each diagnosis. We discussed the likely progression of the disease in terms of
symptoms, quality of life, and probable life expectancy. This was not all
concrete information, but it made me feel a little less powerless to have it.

Early on, I assumed that if my cats were having two good days out of three, I
wouldn't think about euthanasia yet. And that's how it worked out for a while.
In the end, one went abruptly, and the other had a steep decline about 4 days
before I took her in for the final vet visit. To go back to the question you
asked as title to the thread, in the first instance, it wasn't my decision, and
in the second case there was no doubt.

This is something you have to feel your way through, according to your values,
your relationship with your cat, and what you know of your cat. The important
thing is to know that you are trying your best to do what's right in a
difficult situation. So try not to second guess yourself or let other people
do it to you. There's no absolute answer here.

It's tough, and I feel for you.
Daria
Timing is everything.