Old boney cat

Old November 20th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
acostigan

Default Old boney cat

I have a wonderful old cat. He'll be 15 next February. He seems to be
thinning out getting very boney on his head, shoulders, backbone and hips.
He eats pretty well, and for the last 3 weeks I've been trying to plump him
back up so I've been feeding him canned food twice a day while still offering
his favorite dry food in his dish all day. His coat is still shiney, soft
and well groomed, and his eyes are clear and bright. He doesn't have any
weird lumps or anything else, but just seems to be too skinny. What is
happening to my cat? Is this simply a sign of old age? Is there anything
else I should be doing to improve his weight?

Old November 20th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Nov 20, 12:25 pm, "acostigan" u39236@uwe wrote:
I have a wonderful old cat. He'll be 15 next February. He seems to be
thinning out getting very boney on his head, shoulders, backbone and hips.
He eats pretty well, and for the last 3 weeks I've been trying to plump him
back up so I've been feeding him canned food twice a day while still offering
his favorite dry food in his dish all day. His coat is still shiney, soft
and well groomed, and his eyes are clear and bright. He doesn't have any
weird lumps or anything else, but just seems to be too skinny. What is
happening to my cat? Is this simply a sign of old age? Is there anything
else I should be doing to improve his weight?

Your senior kitty is showing classic signs of hyperthryoidism, eating
and eating but not gaining weight. Like everyone else said, it's
important to get him to a vet and have a blood panel done on him.
Hyperthryoidism is treatable by three different methods: medication,
surgery, and radioactive dye.

Of course, I am not a vet so it could be something else and not
hyperthryoidism---so it's important to have a vet give him a good once
over.
Old November 20th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"acostigan" u39236@uwe wrote in message news:7b81cee0e53fa@uwe...
I have a wonderful old cat. He'll be 15 next February. He seems to be
thinning out getting very boney on his head, shoulders, backbone and hips.
He eats pretty well, and for the last 3 weeks I've been trying to plump
him
back up so I've been feeding him canned food twice a day while still
offering
his favorite dry food in his dish all day. His coat is still shiney, soft
and well groomed, and his eyes are clear and bright. He doesn't have any
weird lumps or anything else, but just seems to be too skinny. What is
happening to my cat? Is this simply a sign of old age? Is there anything
else I should be doing to improve his weight?

As they get older, if they don't get enough exercise they lose muscle,
and that makes them seem boney no matter how much you feed.

Does he still like to play with feathers on a string, or catnip toys?

Old November 20th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
acostigan

Thank you everyone, I have made an appointment for him to see a vet tomorrow
and get a blood panel done. Thank you for your suggestions.

Rene S. wrote:
I have a wonderful old cat. He'll be 15 next February. He seems to be
thinning out getting very boney on his head, shoulders, backbone and hips.

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]

Old November 20th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
acostigan

There's no need to get upset and call other people names. I will take him to
the vet to get a blood panel done. This forum is not intended to be
insulting to others who just want to help. Please be respectful.

Galloping Clippers wrote:
I have a wonderful old cat. He'll be 15 next February. He seems to be
thinning out getting very boney on his head, shoulders, backbone and hips.

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]

Does he still like to play with feathers on a string, or catnip toys?

Jeez, what a heartless jerk. It might be something serious like
cancer or a thyroid problem that only a vet can diagnose and you're
asking about playtime?! You should have told the OP to go straight to
the vet!!!! Usenet is no place to get answers to cat health
problems!!! Even on a Ng named with the words "cat" and "health!!!"
Oh, my goodness gracious, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!!!

Old November 21st 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

It's certainly best to get him checked out if you are worried.

If it's just that he's getting older, there's a food supplement called
Pets Alive! that I've seen do wonders for elderly cats. It's from an
organic garden site called Gardens Alive!

http://www.gardensalive.com/product....cd2=1195609076

I hope your guy is doing okay!
Old November 21st 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"acostigan" u39236@uwe wrote in message news:7b841e8bc4cef@uwe...
There's no need to get upset and call other people names. I will take him
the vet to get a blood panel done. This forum is not intended to be
insulting to others who just want to help. Please be respectful.

I don't mind, I have this asshole killfiled anyway, for some reason. lol

Thing is, we have an older cat, and when I asked the vet about why
her vertebrae stand out though she is at a good weight, he asked ME
about exercise, and told me that if she does not jump and play enough,
she can be at a good weight but look boney. Exercise is important, for
old cats, too.

Old November 21st 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:53:43 -0500, cybercat wrote:

"acostigan" u39236@uwe wrote in message news:7b841e8bc4cef@uwe...
There's no need to get upset and call other people names. I will take him
the vet to get a blood panel done. This forum is not intended to be
insulting to others who just want to help. Please be respectful.

I don't mind, I have this asshole killfiled anyway, for some reason. lol

I killfiled that assholes message for the simple fact that he was using
hotmail and that means throwaway account and spam.
Old November 21st 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stick Waver

On Nov 20, 8:53 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"acostigan" u39236@uwe wrote in messagenews:7b841e8bc4cef@uwe...
There's no need to get upset and call other people names. I will take him
the vet to get a blood panel done. This forum is not intended to be
insulting to others who just want to help. Please be respectful.

I don't mind, I have this asshole killfiled anyway,

"Asshole." Ironic indeed...

Ha!