Another Disgusting News Story

Old March 16th 04, 11:13 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Default Another Disgusting News Story

Whoops - sorry about that - I meant to delete all the html crap & change the
msg to txt only - but had a brain fart

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/2...103162004&ts=H

104 Cats Allegedly Seized From East-Side Home
Authorities: Woman Intended To Profit From Cats

POSTED: 12:48 pm EST March 16, 2004
UPDATED: 1:32 pm EST March 16, 2004

INDIANPOLIS -- Animal control investigators said 104 cats were taken from

an
east-side home last week after receiving a complaint about the home.

Video

Authorities: Woman Kept Cats For Profit
Slideshow: Pictures Of Cat House
Turkish Van Breeders Web Site

Officials served a search warrant on 27-year-old Windy Johnston's home in
the 100 block of North Euclid Street and allegedly found the animals

living
in filthy conditions, RTV6's Ericka Flye reported.

Investigators first went to the home last year after receiving a

complaint,
but found 37 healthy cats with the proper identification and vaccinations.
But last week, officials said the walls and floors in the home were

covered
with feces and urine.

"(We found) feces with mold on it. It's been there so long it's turning
moldy," Animal Care and Control spokeswoman Margie Smith Simmons said.

Officials said many of the cats were in poor health. They were all seized
and the ones that can be saved are being nursed back to health, Flye
reported.

Officials believe Johnson was planning to sell the cats.

"We found some information on the Internet where she is listing Turkish

Vans
for sale, which is a type of cat," Simmons said.

Johnson was ticketed and told to vacate the house. She faces numerous
charges in connection with the case.

The cats will remain in custody until a judge decides whether she can get
them back, Flye reported.

--
The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde

Old March 17th 04, 12:09 AM
Hopitus2

What is it with these "cat collectors"? Unfortunately, they're giving
legitimate breeders a very bad name these days.....the various breeders I've
seen @ cat shows have always seemed genuinely concerned for their cats'
welfare/wellbeing/care, both at the shows and back wherever they come from.
But such cruelty as seen in your article seems rampant lately. Maybe the
authorities are simply discovering such goings-on more frequently and moving
successfully to stop them.

: Whoops - sorry about that - I meant to delete all the html crap & change
the
: msg to txt only - but had a brain fart
:
: --
: The ONE and ONLY
: lefthanded-pathetic-paranoid-psychotic-sarcastic-wiseass-ditzy
former-blonde
: in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©
: http://www.geocities.com/the_magic_mood_jeep/
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mgcmdjeep
:
:

Old March 17th 04, 12:55 AM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:09:36 -0500, "Hopitus2"
yodeled:

What is it with these "cat collectors"? Unfortunately, they're giving
legitimate breeders a very bad name these days.....the various breeders I've
seen @ cat shows have always seemed genuinely concerned for their cats'
welfare/wellbeing/care, both at the shows and back wherever they come from.
But such cruelty as seen in your article seems rampant lately. Maybe the
authorities are simply discovering such goings-on more frequently and moving
successfully to stop them.

Any responsible breeder will tell you that they're not in it for the
money. Animals can't be mass-produced and marketed like a commodity
without exploiting and damaging them.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old March 17th 04, 06:59 AM
Sherry

What is it with these "cat collectors"? Unfortunately, they're giving
legitimate breeders a very bad name these days.....the various breeders I've
seen @ cat shows have always seemed genuinely concerned for their cats'

It doesn't sound like a cat collector. It sounds more like a kitten mill.
Cat collectors don't sell or give away their cats. They can't. It's an illness,
and when the cats are taken away, it's only a matter of time before they get
more.
Kitten millers are just in it for the money.
I'd love to hear an update on this. I hope they throw the book at her.

Sherry
Old March 17th 04, 05:52 PM
Sherry

Whenever I hear those stories, I always feel a bit afraid that I will
end up that way, if I get old, and have nobody around to tell me when
to stop. If I could, I would take in any animal that needed a home--
it's only having someone around who has a veto that keeps me from
doing it. I would pray that I have the wisdom to know when enough was
enough and if I was really doing the animals more harm than good by
taking them in.

It's scary, isn't it. Animal collectors start out with the *best* of
intentions. They're like you, me, and everybody else on this group, just taking
in cats/dogs that need a home. Then something happens, and the situation gets
away from them. They often deprive *themselves* of proper food, medical care,
etc. to try to care for the cats. But part of the difference is, they won't
usually give any of the animals up, even to seemingly good homes. Kitten
millers I'd love to see locked up and the key thrown away. Animal collectors, I
just feel sorry for. They are usually devastated when the animals are taken
away.
I also pray that if my "reality checks"--my DH, kids, weren't here to keep me
from over-extending, that I would have the wisdom you speak of also.

Sherry

Sherry