Imuran killed my cat!

Old November 10th 03, 03:57 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message

They used to give cats baytril or something I think. It's not
approved for cats. They no longer prescribe it because it can cause

blindness.
Some vets still don't know this! I think it was baytril, could be

something
else so don't quote me here.

You're correct, Mary. Baytril has caused blindness in cats even at the "new"
and "safer" reduced dosage. Many vets now use Orbax (orbifloxacin). Its the
same class of antibiotic as baytril; its more potent and requires a smaller
dose (its also less expensive). Orbax is also absorbed more quickly than
batril - complete absorption takes less than an hour!

Orbax is not only safer than batril, an infection is less likely to develop
a resistance to the drug. In another couple years or so, batril will have
gone down the same road as penicillin as a result of overuse.

There's really no rational reason for using batril since the advent of
Orbax, however "low" the risks are purported to be. To my mind, any
unnecessary risk is an excessive and unacceptable risk.

Phil.

Old November 10th 03, 10:42 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,
enlightened us with...

[...]

This is great to know. Rowan was prescribed Baytril to take care of her
last problem. I'll be sure to ask about Orbax for the next time, if one
comes.

This was hashed over here ages ago. I think Phil has an irrational (not
founded on real findings - *what* cats went blind on the recommended dosage
of 5mg/kg/day??) fear of Baytril.

I am not planning on contributing any more to this portion of the thread.
BTDT about a year & a half ago. The Google Group archives are there for
anyone truly interested in the debate about Baytril. Just pop in "Baytril"
"blindness", etc. for the advanced search terms (sometime in summer '02, I
think).

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old November 10th 03, 10:42 PM