Speaking of declawing...(cat deaths ment)

Old February 7th 05, 09:37 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

Default Speaking of declawing...(cat deaths ment)

Disclaimer...this contains some disturbing info...

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Some of you may remember an obnoxious pro-declaw poster who plagued
alt.cats and rcph+b for a number of years - named Michelle (I think it
was) and she posted under an AOL address...the telemarketer? She
disappeared a few years ago and never came back. Well, an old poster
to alt.cats recently sent me a link to her webpage....she had a fire in
her apartment and her cats both died in the fire. She managed to save
herself but not the cats. She had an older cat and a kitten. I cannot
imagine the horror of going through that kind of loss. Pretty ironic
that she would lose her cats in that way (for those of you who know who
I am talking about) because we used to give her flak about smoking
around them in a cramped apartment.

-L.

Old February 7th 05, 01:10 PM
Gabey8

I haven't seen her posts, since I don't often visit those NGs. But I'm
sorry to read that. ( Poor little cats, and poor her for suffering such
a loss.

Donna

Old February 7th 05, 03:48 PM
Karen

That really is. I have such a fear of that happening!

"Gabey8" gabey8-@-aol-dot-com (formerly dgabriel-at-netaxs-dot-com) wrote
in message
lkaboutpets.com...

Old February 7th 05, 05:08 PM
Fuga :o\)

That is so sad.

Old February 7th 05, 09:11 PM
Helen Miles

"L. (usenetlyn)" wrote in message
oups.com

She had an older cat and a kitten. I cannot
imagine the horror of going through that kind of loss.///

Many purrs and prayers for the little ones and hopes that she gets over
it eventually. ( Nobody deserves to live through something so awful.

Helen M

Old February 7th 05, 09:37 PM
L. (usenetlyn)

Karen wrote:
That really is. I have such a fear of that happening!

So do I - I cannot imagine the horror of knowing there is nothing you
can do to help them.

-L.

Old February 7th 05, 10:13 PM
Margaret Fine

Karen wrote:
That really is. I have such a fear of that happening!

"Gabey8" gabey8-@-aol-dot-com (formerly dgabriel-at-netaxs-dot-com) wrote
in message
lkaboutpets.com...

I haven't seen her posts, since I don't often visit those NGs. But I'm
sorry to read that. ( Poor little cats, and poor her for suffering such
a loss.

Donna

How awful. :-( My main fear is that Oliver will get under the bed and I
cannot get him out during a fire or emergency. We're going to be moving
from our rental apartment into our new condo at the end of the summer
and we've already decided to get underbed dressers. Sure we could use
the extra storage space but the number one reason is so he cannot get
under there anymore. I don't think there is any place else he could
squeeze into where I cannot get him out. I make a point of always
exiting the building whenever the fire alarms go off. I figure the
practice helps all of us. The last time the alarm went off Oliver
actually popped out from under the bed the minute I called him and
seemed to know he needed to get in his stroller for a ride outside.

--
Margaret Fine

Old February 8th 05, 12:37 AM
MaryL

"Karen" wrote in message
That really is. I have such a fear of that happening!

So do I. No one smokes in my house, and I try to be extremely careful with
gas (for heating), electricity, etc. Nevertheless, fires do sometimes
start, despite our precautions. I have always had a dread fear of finding
that a fire started when I was not home - or - of not being able to find my
cats if one did break out. I even had a nightmare about it years ago -- not
a continuing series of nightmares, as some people have, but this one
nightmare was so real and terrifying that I can still remember every detail
of it (one of those dreams where the house was on fire with my cat inside
and I was frantically trying to climb a hill to reach the house -- climbing,
climbing, climbing but never reaching it).

MaryL

Old February 8th 05, 01:26 AM
Cheryl

On Mon 07 Feb 2005 03:37:39a, L. (usenetlyn) wrote in
rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
roups.com):

Some of you may remember an obnoxious pro-declaw poster who
plagued alt.cats and rcph+b for a number of years - named
Michelle (I think it was) and she posted under an AOL
address...the telemarketer? She disappeared a few years ago and
never came back. Well, an old poster to alt.cats recently sent
me a link to her webpage....she had a fire in her apartment and
her cats both died in the fire. She managed to save herself but
not the cats. She had an older cat and a kitten. I cannot
imagine the horror of going through that kind of loss. Pretty
ironic that she would lose her cats in that way (for those of
you who know who I am talking about) because we used to give her
flak about smoking around them in a cramped apartment.

How sad. Yes, I remember her well. Purrs for the RB kitties.

--
Cheryl
Old February 8th 05, 11:04 AM
Lesley Madigan

The last time the alarm went off Oliver
actually popped out from under the bed the minute I called him and
seemed to know he needed to get in his stroller for a ride outside.

Oliver is a clever kitty!

We actually had a fire at our house (well it was outside but the
building caught) and we could not get Isis out, that cat so loathed
the idea of going outside that she refused to cooperate and hid under
the sink. Luckily the fire people were able to put it out before any
real damage was done (apart from it melted the mains cable and we had
no electric for a couple of days and it took as long to get the smell
of smoke out). We were worried because apart from anything else she
was over 15 years old and we didn't know what to do. When we were let
back in, she came out of hiding, looked at us very crossly as if to
say "What was THAT all about!" and demanded compensation in the form
of food.

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs