Preventing mats

Old October 21st 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Default Preventing mats

Phil P. wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Hey Mike,

I haven't used the brush you mentioned so I can't offer a recommendation.

You remember my gal Suggie? She's a longhair- all white (blue eyes) that
look like a Turkish Angora http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg She
mats badly if I don't comb her every few days.

She's gorgeous, Phil. I am a sucker for a blue-eyed cat, especially if
they are white.

-L.

Old October 22nd 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.

Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

I saw the Zoom Groom in the store yesterday- it looked interesting so I
tried it out on a few of our cats. They seemed to really enjoy it or maybe
they just loved being stroked. A few cats were rolling all over the place
purring up a storm. It certainly stimulates the skin It definitely works
but you still have to wipe the cat down with a slightly damp towel after
using it because it leaves some loose and broken hairs no matter how much
you brush.

Of course I bought one for my cats-- One of them that loves to be brushed
didn't like it-- you might have the same problem with Tiger because the Zoom
Groom doesn't feel like a brush. The "bristles" are thick, 3/4" high and
1/2" apart, and not as soft or as flexible as a brush. Cats like being
brushed because the brush feels like their mother's tongue. The Zoom Groom
feels more like a rake.

Here's a close up of it:

http://maxshouse.com/misc/zoomgroom-cats.jpg

You might want to try a Corner Groomer- you can use it as a palm brush. The
nubs are longer than the shampoo palm brush you're using now. The 2 brush
pieces separate from the mounting base for cleaning. Just cut the little
catnip box off the bottom and use it as a brush.

http://maxshouse.com/misc/Cat-A-Comb%20Corner.jpg

You also just use a good slicker as long as you don't use too much pressu

http://maxshouse.com/misc/slicker.jpg

Phil

Old October 22nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Thanks Phil for helping this degenerate WebTv user :-). I had heard
some good things about the Zoom Groom. When (and if) Tiger's mats get
bad again, I think it would help. It is not expensive so it's worth a
try. He likes to be brushed with the small brush I mentioned but he is
no where near developing mats yet. When his hair gets long, the mats
seem to spring up overnight. I tried one of the mat cutters (with
blades) but this just pulls the hair and hurts him.

Right now, because of the cellulitis, my right leg is swollen and should
be elevated. Thank God for WebTv where I don't have to sit up to a
computer screen!. I also have a torn rotator cuff with the prospect of
possible surgery. It's not easy getting old (77 next month).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old October 22nd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Default Preventing mats-Phil

I just ordered a Zoom Groom from Amazon. The shipping was as much as
the item itself but my only close pet store doesn't carry it. Thanks
again.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I just ordered a Zoom Groom from Amazon. The shipping was as much as
the item itself but my only close pet store doesn't carry it. Thanks
again.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Holly and Duffy love the Zoom Groom, and it can extract enormous quantities
of fur. I exert a little pressure with it except on the stomach (always
brushing *with* the direction of the fur -- that is from head back to tail),
and they will purr up a storm. It will sometimes leave some loose
"residue," so you may want to finish up by wiping with a slightly damp
towel, as Phil suggested.

Let us know what you think.

MaryL

Old October 23rd 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I just ordered a Zoom Groom from Amazon. The shipping was as much as

the item itself but my only close pet store doesn't carry it. Thanks
again.

You should have asked me to send you one- you degenerate WebTv user :-). I
would have gladly sent it to make up the difference for the space blankets-
(that only cost me a buck-and-a-half apiece). I go to the stores to check
on the cats and to the post office every day , so its no trouble at all.

Let me know what Tiger thinks of the Zoom Groom.

Phil

Old October 23rd 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Did you get the check I sent for the space blankets? I thought I
remembered that it was never cashed. Actually, what I am using now on
the window seats is a piece of "sandwich" aluminum insulation under the
fleece. It has the same reflective property as the space blanket but is
much more durable. I haven't turned on the heating pads but it hasn't
been very cold yet. Also, because of my medical problems I am keeping
the heat 5 degrees higher right now. I am home all day and won't be
skiing this winter.

Old October 25th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Did you get the check I sent for the space blankets? I thought I
remembered that it was never cashed.

I appreciate the gesture, Mike, but I couldn't accept it. I couldn't accept
a donation for sending you
the space blankets.

Actually, what I am using now on

the window seats is a piece of "sandwich" aluminum insulation under the
fleece. It has the same reflective property as the space blanket but is
much more durable. I haven't turned on the heating pads but it hasn't
been very cold yet. Also, because of my medical problems I am keeping
the heat 5 degrees higher right now. I am home all day and won't be
skiing this winter.

There's an outfit in the UK that makes something like that for about $20.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Phil

Old October 25th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

I buy the aluminum sandwich materiel in 25 foot rolls to help insulate
the house. Anything I can do to save oil is a help!

Old October 25th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I buy the aluminum sandwich materiel in 25 foot rolls to help insulate
the house. Anything I can do to save oil is a help!

You don't mean fiberglass sandwiched between aluminum foil, do you?