Damned cold in SoCal!

Old December 28th 15, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

Default Damned cold in SoCal!

Last night, it got down to 38 degrees at my place.

At 11 pm, it was 52.

Tonight at the same time, it was 43, so I expect it to get
VERY close to freezing here. My small heater is already
working hard, usually doesn't even come on til much later.

And GLyN has been in, earlier, but when back out, as usual,
and is nowhere to be seen now. But he has a very think coat
and knows where to go to keep warm outside.

Old December 30th 15, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/28/2015 2:32 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:

Last night, it got down to 38 degrees at my place.

At 11 pm, it was 52.

Tonight at the same time, it was 43, so I expect it to get
VERY close to freezing here. My small heater is already
working hard, usually doesn't even come on til much later.

And GLyN has been in, earlier, but when back out, as usual,
and is nowhere to be seen now. But he has a very think coat
and knows where to go to keep warm outside.

That's likely a drop in temps you weren't expecting.

I must say, though, I am hoping for something like that. Here in
southern South Carolina today it was 82°. It was 80° on Christmas. I
cannot *begin* to explain how much I will welcome temps like yours. It
could at least pretend to be sort of winter for a month or so. It's
pretty much felt like summer most of the year here, this year. There
were a few weeks of respite but not much.

Give GLyN a scritch for me.

Jill
Old December 30th 15, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:51:18 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

[...]

When he comes in again, he was here for lunch then back to patrolling.

We knew a few days before that it would get cold, but last winter was
unusually warm, and summer was HOT, with a sudden change to this bit
colder than normal spell, so people weren't really ready for this.
But the animals were; GLyN, the landlord's dog, and the rabbits, all
have thick winter coats already.

Night before last was, as expected, 35, last night it hit 38, and as
of 7pm tonight, it's 2 degrees colder than same time yesterday.

High today was 58, yesterday 57. Unusual for us, not below 60 all
tat often. And 1/4 inch of rain yesterday, but totally clear today
(why it's gonna be really cold tonight).

Rain expected again Sunday thru Tuesday coming, maybe the El Nino
will finally make it's presence known.

Old December 30th 15, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

We Southern Californians are spoiled. When I complain about the weather
to people in places that get snow, I always say, "It's cold for here."
It's true, though. We didn't really have a winter last year, so this
one is a real shock.

Old December 30th 15, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:48:50 -0800, Joy wrote:

We Southern Californians are spoiled. When I complain about the weather
to people in places that get snow, I always say, "It's cold for here."
It's true, though. We didn't really have a winter last year, so this
one is a real shock.

I was born in San Diego, and lived most of my life here,
but I've also lived in Texas, Colorado, and Virginia, and
my Mom was from NY City, and Dad from Chicago, so I've
visited both, sometimes in winter.

Cold dooesn't bother me nearly as much as hot and especially
dry hot weather does.

Old December 30th 15, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I live in East Texas. When I tell my sister (who lives in Northeast
Ohio) it's cold, she says "that's a heat wave." Of course, she can envy
our winters, but it reverses in summer.

MaryL

Old December 30th 15, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 12/29/2015 10:26 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:48:50 -0800, Joy wrote:

We Southern Californians are spoiled. When I complain about the weather
to people in places that get snow, I always say, "It's cold for here."
It's true, though. We didn't really have a winter last year, so this
one is a real shock.

I was born in San Diego, and lived most of my life here,
but I've also lived in Texas, Colorado, and Virginia, and
my Mom was from NY City, and Dad from Chicago, so I've
visited both, sometimes in winter.

Cold dooesn't bother me nearly as much as hot and especially
dry hot weather does.

I was born in East Los Angeles, and have lived within 60 miles of where
I was born for my entire eighty years. My mother was 80 when she moved
to Alaska, along with my sister and brother-in-law. I visited them in
winter a few times, which really made me appreciate living in Southern
California. I don't like being really cold, but the ice bothers me more
than the cold. Two months after moving to Alaska, my mother slipped on
the ice and shattered her ankle.

Dry heat doesn't bother me nearly as much as humid weather does. On one
of my trips to Australia, I visited Darwin, on the north coast. This
was in April, which is fall there. Both the temperature and the
humidity were in the 90's. I was miserable. I went from there to Alice
Springs, in the middle of the country. It's basically desert there, so
the air is dry. I'd been there for two days before I realized that the
temperature there was the same as that in Darwin.