IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

Old May 21st 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

"rrb" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

Please purr she finds a home more suitable to her wild nature (if you
know of one around Wollongong, Australia, please let me know). Every
extra hour here increases the risk she might severely hurt and/or maim
Cary, so she's got to go ASAP. Tonight, sadly, will be her last night
here.

Why the rush - can't you segregate IBK away from Cary for a while - at
least until you find a proper home for IBK?

There is no place to segregate them. All rooms are used. I won't lock her in
a bedroom because she pees on fabric, regarless of whether there's a
litterbox there or not (she prefers fabric than the litterbox). Locking her
in the garage for he rest of her life doesn't sound like a good solution
either.

I can probably keep her inthe garage for a day or two, but she needs to go
to a better home than this one. :-(

Yowie

Old May 21st 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Yowie wrote:

Tonight, sadly, will be her last night here.

Where is she going after that?

As others have said - please don't dump her as she isn't a feral cat,
and she will die, and please hold out for a home for her, either via the
Cat Protection Society, or in a farm or stables environment, which would
be ideal for her. No doubt the CPS would take her as soon as they can
but being in a similar group here, foster spaces don't appear at the
drop of a hat. Can you borrow the crate again or give IBK a room to live
in as a temporary measure? If I wasn't halfway round the world, I would
certainly take her.

*Something* must have triggered her to go for your thumb, she surely
didn't just leap out of nowhere and go for you?

Thats *exactly* what she did. I reached down to pick up a book to read, and
she launched herself at me. I know about overstiulated cats, I can read the
signs in Shmogg well. I didn' scare here, wasn't roughhousing with her,
wasn't doing anythign with or to her.

I have a *very* touchy rescue cat called Cocoa - Helen M has met her!
and the way we have to treat her is to ignore her physically unless she
actively seeks attention, and then to give very cautious and brief
scritches until the first sign she is getting touchy, and then to leave
her alone. She does have a screw loose caused by some trauma in her
young life before I adopted her, but if we respect her boundaries,
everyone is happy. If she growls when she is on our laps and we aren't
doing anything, she gets turfed off by the lap owner immediately
standing up so she has to leave. She has learned over the years that we
don't harm her and we also won't take any nonsense if we haven't
provoked her (which we don't). She's 13 now and I've had her since she
was about 1-2. She also amusingly answers back if you tell her something
she doesn't like, and she has a thing against black footwear which
inevitably gets karate-chopped and cursed, which can be amusing but is
also sad as she is obviously scared of it.

Is Cary really too young to learn to leave IBK alone when she has had
enough? Is that not a better lesson to learn, than to get rid of IBK
because she scratched? (and yes, I do appreciate it was a bad injury)

If it was a play related injury, then perhaps. But this was totally
unprovoked. IBKFergs has always been *great* with Cary, but if she attacked
me for no reason, then I can't trust her not to do the same thign with Cary.
Its just trust, and I can't trust her any more. Shmogg, I have no issue iwth
because he scratches or when other warning signs have been ignored,a nd only
does so to the degree needed for whatever it that has displeased him stops.
He's drawn blood, but nthing to this degree.

If it was just Joel and I here, she'd have another chance, but not with
Cary, not when he's still this young.

Not taking *any* offence, I posted my message knowing it wasn't going to be,
err, popular, bu hoping someone had a solution that I could use.

Yowie

Old May 21st 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie,

You might take her to the vet for a full physical. Many animals show
sudden aggression when they are hurting.

If she pees on fabric too -- could she have a flare-up of a bladder
infection or that other bladder condition, I forget what it's called but
it's bleeding in the bladder?

My rabbit fought and bit me the other day when I picked him up. I
thought it was odd, but I didn't know until days later that he had a
large abscess on his leg. It was not visible.

Rhonda

Yowie wrote:

I still dont' know why IBKFergus atacked me. Its been on my mind all night.
I went to pick up a book to read, and IBKFergus jus tlaunched herself at me,
diced and shredded my hand, and hten took off again. i saw no signs of
agression or warning beforehand, and she wasn't in 'halloween kitty' mode
after she made a reappareance. Its a total mystery to me.

Will no tbe dumping IBKFergus, but she can't stay here.

Yowie

Old May 21st 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Like Debbie said, if I was not over the other side of the world, I would
take her myself.

Tweed

Hmmmm, would it be too expensive to have her shipped to someone on the
group? It seems there are a few kind people willing to work with her.

Rhonda

Australia to England is not possible. If IBK Fergus was in England I would
definitely try to integrate her with KFC & BF. I don't mind how
friendly/unfriendly my cats are. They can be petted or not, as they wish.
They can spend time outside around the poultry huts, ratting and mousing all
day if they want to and come inside the house to sleep if they want to, or
they can sleep in the tool shed if they don't.
When KFC departs (hopefully not just yet!) I will approach the local society
for an ex-feral that nobody wants. I have just the home for him/her.

Tweed

Old May 21st 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in
:

I don't want to do this, but don't have much choice. For no reason i
or Joel can fathom, IBKFergus just ripped my thumb to shreds. Its that
bad, i can't use my right thumb to type.

When I first got Doc, he was a love, but after a couple weeks, he started
biting. You only bite the ones you love, and he *really* loved me. It
got to the point where I was thinking of finding him somewhere else to
live, when I was told to get a second cat.

Pi taught Doc, by example, how hard was too hard to bite. They exercised
all their aggressive behavior on each other, and saved their cuddles for
me.

Obviously you can't keep him in the same area as your son, but can you
keep him separated and see if a second cat will help?

If you can't, don't despair of finding him a new home. There are those
of us out there who don't mind a biter, especially if he's a good mouser.

Chak

--
There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought
to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.
Old May 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
. com...
My aunt has a rescued Persian cat, Blue, that cannot be trusted. She even
wanted to have her put down after she put my uncle in the hospital with a
nasty bite. Their vet refused to euthanise an otherwise healthy cat so
they reconsidered and kept her.

Years ago when I was at the vet with Rusty on the exam table, I heard a loud
scream from a cat in the waiting area. It didn't fazed Rusty. Turned out the
cat's owner wanted it to be euthanised. The vet didn't want to and tried to
talk the owners out of it. They think the cat was sick and kept the cat at
the clinic. Next time I asked about it, I was told the cat bite a staff and
was put down.

Winnie

Old May 21st 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sometimes people (or cats; cats are people too) make bad decisions.
They get sick, and have to go to the hospital. They commit assault,
and have to go to jail. Sounds like yours made a very bad choice, and
has to be dealt with.

Of course, it's so much nicer when we have fun and purr and snuggle.
But, the real world sometimes isn't that nice. I sure wish it were.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Yowie" wrote in message
I don't want to do this, but don't have much choice. For no reason i
or Joel
can fathom, IBKFergus just ripped my thumb to shreds. Its that bad, i
can't
use my right thumb to type.

Now I've wrestled with Shmogg all his life and I've had my fair share
of
scratches and bites, but never this deep, and never without severe
provocation first.

The deepest cut extends right from the base of my thumb all the way
around
to the thumb to the knuckle - about two inches of deep cut, with other
scratches parrellel to it.

This *cannot* happen to Cary, who, being a 2 year old boy, does
provoke her.
If it was Cary's thumb, he'd behaving reconstructive surgery to have
it
reattached about now. the clawing is *that* severe.

I'd like her to go to a home with people used to ex feral and feral
cats. A
home that doens't have children, a home that won't make her the
nervous
skitty cat she is here. She is an *excellent* hunter and would be most
suited to barn life rather than a house cat or pet, She has never been
intered in receiving any affection from us, althogh will occasionally
discover how much she likes it if we 'force' it on her. She does,
however,
answer to her name.

The Cat Protection Society might take her - theres a lady here in my
suburb
that lean me a crate when IBKFergus first got here. If not, I'll try
the
Humane Society. Failing that, I'll take her back to work where the
rest of
her family is. I don't like the idea of dumping cats, but she'll have
better chance there than at the RSPCA. The RSPCA do a great job in
many
ways, but if I say that she's vicious, and I feel duty bound to
mention it,
they'll deem her 'unadoptable' and just euthanise her because they
can't
home her forever. And I don't want her euthanised.

Please purr she finds a home more suitable to her wild nature (if you
know
of one around Wollongong, Australia, please let me know). Every extra
hour
here increases the risk she might severely hurt and/or maim Cary, so
she's
got to go ASAP. Tonight, sadly, will be her last night here.

Even though my thumb is throbbing, and I know that this is what we
have to
do for Cary's sake, I am *heartbroken*. I just hope she can find a
home that
will be able to provide her with whatever it is she needs to become a
lap
fungus. I feell like *such* a traitor, a failure, a bad parent etc
etc.

And then I have to explain to Cary why his fursister and Evil Overlord
is no
longer around.

in tears,

Yowie

Old May 21st 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Jo Firey wrote:

My aunt has a rescued Persian cat, Blue, that cannot be trusted. She
even wanted to have her put down after she put my uncle in the hospital
with a nasty bite. Their vet refused to euthanise an otherwise healthy
cat so they reconsidered and kept her.

When she bit, she was being petted at her request and just turned and
sunk in her teeth. Now she pretty much lives under my aunts bed. She
does not come out for strangers and friends know not to touch her even if
she seems to ask. No one is really happy with the situation, but she is
doing as well as she would anywhere. They have a second Persian they
rescued at the same time, Sunshine. He is a lover and he is company for
Blue

There is no way Blue could be trusted around children, and she is a risk
around frail adults.

What I don't understand is -- is this a crazy, vicious cat with no hope of
redemption like it seems is your aunt's, or is this a cat with a behavior
that can be treated with love and understanding?

I guess I thought this was a random attack after living with a child that
may have been too aggressive with her. If so, can't that be rectified
without sending her somewhere with a label that will keep others from
wanting her?

If Yowie doesn't think she and her family can handle this situation, I
hope she can personally find a new home for her.

Rhonda

The situation at my aunts is the result of some other probably well meaning
person in effect sending a cat off with out warning to potential new homes.
And my aunt being pretty much stuck with the fallout.

She doesn't have children around and is able to deal with the cat OK, but
I'm quite sure she will never adopt another cat. And neither will some of
her family and friends who have met Blue. Its a shame all around.

Jo

Old May 21st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-21, Mishi penned:
Hi Vickie,

Is this just clawing, or biting also? If so, can you get her
declawed and defanged - I know it is a major undertaking, and not so
mething I would normally suggest, as I find cruel and barbaric, but
it means her life, and Cary's heart. How much is it to have a
declaw there? Defanging is sometimes done to dogs - we considered
having it done to one of our bostons. They can't inflict much damage
with their comb teeth.

My heart goes out to you, Joel and Cary.

Patti

Uggggh.

I just can't even fathom this being suggested as a solution.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 21st 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-21, rrb penned:

Did he just come up and attack or were you petting him? If you were
petting him he probably did it because you didn't notice the warning
signs that he had too much so he attacked. If this is the case it is
possibly to learn to avoid this in the future. Now as for Cary I
and this happening I have no advise if he is too young to explain
this to.

I don't know. Oscar can go from purring to hissing with no middle
ground. She's bitten me, but never drawn blood.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

IBKFergus grows... Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 July 14th 05 04:30 PM
IBKFergus grows up Yowie Cat anecdotes 24 April 24th 05 07:32 AM
IBKFergus isn't black Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 January 23rd 05 05:25 AM
IBKFergus update Yowie Cat anecdotes 27 January 12th 05 07:57 PM
Leaving the cat while I am away for a long time Lipgor Cat health & behaviour 10 December 10th 03 05:08 PM