Help! Kitten lost behind walls! :-O

Old September 10th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Albert

Default Help! Kitten lost behind walls! :-O

Oboy --

I recently adopted a new kitten and she's been settling into her new
home. This evening I couldn't locate her right away and after a
thorough hunt discovered that she's managed to insinuate herself into
some human-inaccessible areas in my utility area behind the washer and
dryer -- kind of got around a corner and then down through a gap in
the flooring (this is an old wood-frame house -- I'm on the top (3rd)
floor). Somehow this is a new frontier that my previous, equally
small but less intrepid kiteen-cat never got around to exploring, or I
would have nailed up some barrier walls.

So, I snake myself down there as far as I can and I can hear her
meowing not too far away it seems, but though I can see some gaps she
could get through, I can't catch a glimpse of her!

She doesn't have a collar on, so she's not hung up that way,
thankfully -- but I sense she can't find her way, or else can't make
her way past some obstacle.

I've opened a tin of tuna by the exit, hoping to lire her up that way
-- I've called my super to get help pulling out the machines and
tearing out the paneling bacjk there -- but he can't come until
tomorrow noonish.

What the heck am I supposed to do now? It's 8 PM. Is there such a
thing as a cat whisperer-cum-carpenter who is adept at these sorts of
things? I'm in Cambridge/Boston MA.

Any help? I don't see how I'll be able to sleep tonight if she's
still stuck somewhere . . . .

Albert
Old September 10th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

When Piglet did this, we put a lamp beside the place she went in. This in
hopes she would see the light and come, which she did.

Purrs and Prayers for the wondering kitty to come back the hole.

Old September 10th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Albert

Actualy, it's worse than I thought -

I managed to pry off some plywood to get a better look back there, and
disocvered that she's a full floor down below, with no way to climb
up! eGads.

I've figured out the architecture and figure I'll be able to rescue
her tomorrow by cutting a little hole in the drywall of my neighbor's
utility closet -- should be fairly simple, though quite a fuss.

I tried cutting a bedsheet in half and knotting it into a rope ladder
for her to climb up, but she wouldn't go for it. So, I lowered a
plastic jar of water down to her on an electric cord, which I hope
will be a little comfort. At least she isn't crying, and seems okay,
so I hope she'll be none the worse for the adventure by tomorrow
afternoon. . .

Albert
Old September 10th 08, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred[_2_]

Albert wrote:

Actualy, it's worse than I thought -

I managed to pry off some plywood to get a better look back there, and
disocvered that she's a full floor down below, with no way to climb
up! eGads.

I've figured out the architecture and figure I'll be able to rescue
her tomorrow by cutting a little hole in the drywall of my neighbor's
utility closet -- should be fairly simple, though quite a fuss.

I tried cutting a bedsheet in half and knotting it into a rope ladder
for her to climb up, but she wouldn't go for it. So, I lowered a
plastic jar of water down to her on an electric cord, which I hope
will be a little comfort. At least she isn't crying, and seems okay,
so I hope she'll be none the worse for the adventure by tomorrow
afternoon. . .

Albert

I expect she's alright, maybe scared. Did she run in there because she was
afraid, do you think, or just exploring? If she's calling for help, I
guess she's really trapped. Sometimes they get behind walls and stay there
just because they want a hiding place. Cinnamon would do something like
that.
Please keep us posted. What is the kitten's name?

--
Peace,
Fred
Old September 10th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Amelia T Cat

I tried cutting a bedsheet in half and knotting it into a rope ladder
for her to climb up, but she wouldn't go for it. So, I lowered a
plastic jar of water down to her on an electric cord, which I hope will
be a little comfort. At least she isn't crying, and seems okay, so I
hope she'll be none the worse for the adventure by tomorrow afternoon. .
.

Albert

If she's got water (or if you offer her the jar periodically) she ought
to be ok until you can get her out. Sometimes they just go exploring and
get too into the exploration and don't realize they can't backtrack.

I almost had to disassemble the cab of a semi once, when Harri Roadcat
went exploring in the space between the cabin wall and the outside sheet
metal. Fortunately she figured out how to backtrack and work her way out.
Keeping our fingers crossed that you get this little one out safely.

Please do keep us posted. I'd drive over and help if I wasn't 1000 miles
away

Dan
Old September 10th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Amelia T Cat wrote:
[...]

Sometimes they come out on their own when they're hungry. Sam's gotten
inside the walls in spite of my efforts to prevent it, and any effort to
pull him out makes him draw back. But he will come out on his own.

Cheryl
Old September 10th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
MLB

Albert wrote:
[...]

Several times in the past, I have read stories like this where the Fire
Department provided help. Also, you local Humane Society might provide
assistance. People have even called their newspaper and they helped
just to get a good human interest story. I once coaxed my Siamese out
of a crawl space by putting raw liver at the entrance (then I went
outside for an hour to give her some time -- it worked. Purrs that Puss
will be safe and decide to come out. Purrs again for her safety. MLB
Old September 11th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stampir

"Amelia T Cat" wrote in message
[...]

So Harri Roadcat is a travelling cat? Does Harri go out on the open
road w/you? How does Harri like it? Does he have window to look out?
Do you open the window for Harri?

Old September 11th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

xcuse me but mineown fren Harri iz a bootiful girl kitty. O T thinking diz
hooman didn't pau tension ta how Harri was spelledz, HARRI, not Harry. jus
FYI

Old September 11th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Dan M

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:55:37 -0700, Stampir wrote:

So Harri Roadcat is a travelling cat? Does Harri go out on the open road
w/you? How does Harri like it? Does he have window to look out? Do you
open the window for Harri?

Harri (short for Harriet) earned her "Roadcat" name when I was driving a
semitruck. She traveled with me all of the US in that truck. We did leash
walks at truck stops and rest areas, and little Harri loved being in the
truck with me. She learned all the little nooks and crannies and mastered
the art of disappearing and giving me heart attacks.

Now that I'm working a desk job we take Harri with us from time to time
on road trips, and still take her on leash walks.

Dan