Drugs addiction and cat food

Old May 21st 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
djornsk

Default Drugs addiction and cat food

Our 1 yo british longhaired castrated male cat has been on Whiskas oh
so fishy for a week and he is going mad for the stuff to the point at
which I am wondering what the makers have put in it to cause this, and
whether I should be alternating it's use with other types of cat food
- any thoughts?

Old May 21st 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"djornsk" wrote

Our 1 yo british longhaired castrated male cat has been on Whiskas oh
so fishy for a week and he is going mad for the stuff to the point at
which I am wondering what the makers have put in it to cause this, and
whether I should be alternating it's use with other types of cat food
- any thoughts?

Yes, and hope you do not take this amiss. Dry catfood isnt optimal,
especially for a male cat. It has to do with the additives which cause
urinary tract problems later in life. You won't notice it at a mere 1 YO
male cat but it's a cumulative thing over time so what you feed now, makes a
big difference.

That said, not all of us can afford the fancier wet ones. I caught a case of
9lives for 25cents a can, but usually end up with 50cents a day or a bit
more.

If you do need to stick with dry (or if you cant go all wet but can some, 1
wet feeding of about 1/2 a can of 9lives size and dry in the morning), see
if you can spring for one of the better dry brands. Expense is not always
meaning 'better' but folks think well of the following: Eukanaba (comes in
cat and dog types), IAMS, Science Diet, and i think 'Purina Pro' is supposed
to be good as well (note, 'pro' not regular).

My Cat, Daisy is a rescue kitty from the local no-kill organization. She
was on dry for 18 months (was found at about 6 months old). We converted
her with no problem to wet feeding but we have a little IAMS kibble out for
her which she uses for the occasional mid-day noshe. She only eats much dry
if we miss a morning feeding (rare but has happened). Mostly we feed her
and our Dog (Cash, rescue fellow too) at about 6am and 6pm.

For some odd reason, no cats I have ever previously had, have liked the tuna
wet cans (but before i knew what health problems came with dry, I fed
whiskas tuna and they liked it).

Old May 21st 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
djornsk

On 21 May, 11:51, "cshenk" wrote:
"djornsk" wrote

[...]

Thanks for that information but I should have stated that the Whiskers
oh so fishy sold in the UK is a wet food sold in sachets, but
nevertheless I have noted your warning about dry food .

Old May 21st 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

You should never feed a cat an all fish diet. The oils in the fish are hard
to digest and can cause cats to loose their hair. I only give my cats food
with fish in once a month now. I know from previous experience.

Celeste

Old May 21st 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"djornsk" wrote in message
Our 1 yo british longhaired castrated male cat has been on Whiskas oh
so fishy for a week and he is going mad for the stuff to the point at
which I am wondering what the makers have put in it to cause this, and
whether I should be alternating it's use with other types of cat food
- any thoughts?

Whatever it is, they put the same thing in my cheesecake.

Old May 21st 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
om...

"djornsk" wrote in message
Our 1 yo british longhaired castrated male cat has been on Whiskas oh
so fishy for a week and he is going mad for the stuff to the point at
which I am wondering what the makers have put in it to cause this, and
whether I should be alternating it's use with other types of cat food
- any thoughts?

Whatever it is, they put the same thing in my cheesecake.

ROTFLMAO!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 21st 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote

ROTFLMAO!

Hugs,