Breeze litter box system?

Old April 4th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennyanniedots[_2_]

Default Breeze litter box system?

Hi all,
I saw an ad for Tidy Cat's new "Breeze" litterbox system which
separates #1 and #2, so I bought one to try out. (It's
"revolutionary!" LOL.)

http://www.breezeforcats.com/

I just set it up last night so no news yet, but I'm curious to know if
anyone else has tried it, and what folks think about it.

-Jen
Old April 5th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:11:08 -0700 (PDT), Jennyanniedots
wrote:

Hi all,
I saw an ad for Tidy Cat's new "Breeze" litterbox system which
separates #1 and #2, so I bought one to try out. (It's
"revolutionary!" LOL.)

http://www.breezeforcats.com/

I just set it up last night so no news yet, but I'm curious to know if
anyone else has tried it, and what folks think about it.

-Jen

Funny you should mention that. I just saw one today for the first
time in WalMart for about $33 and was very tempted to buy it. I've
been using a LitterMaid for about 3 years now. The first one I loved,
but it stopped working about 6 months ago. So I immediately bought a
new one.

It turns out that the newer Littermaids are way more cheaply built
than the originals (and cost a lot more), and the motor is weaker
also. I spend, literally, far more time unjamming and scraping off
the rake than I would simply scooping a regular litterbox.

And now that my cats Yoda and Onyx are so used to the Littermaid,
Onyx has stopped burying his poo ...instead he sits by the Littermaid
and waits for the rake to scoop it away., When it jams, he gets very
upset (seriously). If he has to go again before I discover that the
Littermaid is jammed or gummed up, he'll go on my bathroom rug - or
even worse - on my bedspread. I've had to start covering my bed with
an old shower curtain at the vet's suggestion.

Anyway, all this rambling is to say that I've been considering going
back to a good old fashioned litterbox. Then today when I saw the
relatively inexpensive "Breeze" litterbox system I had exactly the
same question as you. I'd like to hear from someone who has used one
before I spend the money lest I end up with yet another gimmicky
product that has more drawbacks than benefits. I'll be anxiously
waiting for an answer also.

Zob

-----
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic

Old April 6th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I get the feeling that it would smell a LOT if you only change the pee pad
once a week. With (now) six cats I wouldn't even consider getting this
system. We just have one litter box for each cat, scoop every single day,
use a good hard clumping litter and "Tidy Cat" deodorizer after scooping.
We also keep all the boxes in our attached garage (with a cat door in the
door leading to the garage) since I'm compulsively worried about litter box
odor if we should have company.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 6th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennyanniedots[_2_]

Zob said:

*It turns out that the newer Littermaids are way more cheaply built
than the originals (and cost a lot more), and the motor is weaker
also. *I spend, literally, far more time unjamming and scraping off
the rake than I would simply scooping a regular litterbox. *

Zob,
I used to have a Littermaid (I loved it, it never broke down on me but
I moved someplace where there was no place big enough to put it so I
downgraded). I struggled with gunky litter, until I discovered the
secret: World's Best Cat Litter is gunk-free.
-Jen

Old April 6th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennyanniedots[_2_]

Hi everyone,

I'm 3 days into my Breeze experiment, so I thought I'd update. So far
so good. There is no odor, surprisingly. My cat tends to pee in one
spot every time she goes, so I did fear that that part of the pad
would saturate and be a mess, but it's not. I flipped it around
regardless. Poop seems to dessicate and be easy to scoop out. (I
worried that I'd be losing those precious litter granules since they
don't give you a whole lot in a bag, but they shake right off.) My one
concern so far is that the grating in the middle (where #1 flows down
to the pad) doesn't extend all the way to the edges of the box, and I
worry a little that if kitty pees on the edge (as she does), it would
maybe not run off very well. I have a feeling one would need to
thoroughly rinse this contraption at changing time - no swapping out
the bag.

-Jen

Old April 6th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:22:45 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

I get the feeling that it would smell a LOT if you only change the pee pad
once a week. With (now) six cats I wouldn't even consider getting this
system. We just have one litter box for each cat,

snip

Hey Catnipped, I'm just curious .. do each of your cats use their
"own" litterbox, or do they share? I've also considered getting a
second one for my two cats.

Zob
Old April 6th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote:

I get the feeling that it would smell a LOT if you only change the pee pad
once a week. With (now) six cats I wouldn't even consider getting this
system. We just have one litter box for each cat,

snip

Hey Catnipped, I'm just curious .. do each of your cats use their
"own" litterbox, or do they share? I've also considered getting a
second one for my two cats.

No, they all use different ones depending on which one is the cleanest -
I've see one of them go from box to box to box until she finds one suitable.
The "rule of thumb" with litter boxes is one per cat plus one extra - but I
think that's more important for large clowders like mine, two cats normally
to OK with just one.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Zob

Old April 8th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Jennyanniedots[_2_]

Day 5 report. My dog has "discovered" cat litter for the very first
time, due to the fact that the box is not covered. And thus ended the
great Breeze experiment!
-jen
Old April 8th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"Jennyanniedots" wrote in message
Day 5 report. My dog has "discovered" cat litter for the very first
time, due to the fact that the box is not covered. And thus ended the
great Breeze experiment!
-jen

LOL! I can only imagine - the dog must have thought he found the cat's
secret stash of treats! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:05:05 -0700 (PDT), Jennyanniedots
wrote:

Day 5 report. My dog has "discovered" cat litter for the very first
time, due to the fact that the box is not covered. And thus ended the
great Breeze experiment!
-jen

Hey look, free snacks!
LOL!