Cats and Chickens

Old May 14th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Cats and Chickens

"honeybunch" wrote in message
On May 12, 1:53 pm, Cat Lover wrote:
I was told they would never get along. Well Im breaking them. 3 cats
are mingling with 7 chickens. Its so funny to watch. Now I have a dog
to break in with them. I love my animals free so its this or nothing.
Im going to make a slide show soon of the cats with the chickens. The
cats are set back by the chickens beak and talons... lol. they want
to attack but they are not sure its a wise idea.. Take care, a
peaceful cat

In Central America, animals roam free and cats do not kill chickens.
I can remember my grandmother telling a tale of her life in Hungary as
a child which was betweem 1890 and 1900. She said if a cat killed a
chicken, it would be thrown onto the chopping block and its head would
be cut off immediately.

Oh, yeah, this is a really good argument for "be fwee wild thing."

Old May 15th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Lover

On May 12, 11:56*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"news" wrote in message

"Cat Lover" wrote in message
*I was told they would never get along. Well Im breaking them. 3 cats
are mingling with 7 chickens. Its so funny to watch. Now I have a dog
to break in with them. I love my animals free so its this or nothing.

You must love your animals maimed and dead, too.

I was thinking the same thing. What a ****ing moron. And lazy as hell too.

Thank you very much. Now I know anything can be written here. I love
my animals and always will.. I will never look at your trash talk.
You never had soap in your mouth have you? The chickens are great
and I smile alot when we are interreacting with them. My 5 kids have
been helping me with fencing and they are loving it too.. You have a
awsome day and keep your chin up. God bless, peaceful cats.
Old May 15th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
news[_2_]

"news" wrote in message

"Cat Lover" wrote in message
I was told they would never get along. Well Im breaking them. 3 cats
are mingling with 7 chickens. Its so funny to watch. Now I have a dog
to break in with them. I love my animals free so its this or nothing.

You must love your animals maimed and dead, too.

I was thinking the same thing. What a ****ing moron. And lazy as hell too.

You never had soap in your mouth have you?

Now I feel sorry for your children too.

Old May 15th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"news" wrote

"Cat Lover" wrote in message

..
I was told they would never get along. Well Im breaking them. 3 cats
are mingling with 7 chickens. Its so funny to watch. Now I have a dog
to break in with them. I love my animals free so its this or nothing.

You must love your animals maimed and dead, too.

I was thinking the same thing. What a ****ing moron. And lazy as hell
too.

You never had soap in your mouth have you?

Now I feel sorry for your children too.

Before this gets worse, how about looking at it from a fresh angle? There's
alot not aid in the first post that makes this not so unreasonable.

The chickens are in a coop, screened (appears to me like the semi-free range
I saw often in Asia). Supervision is implied above but there's no mention
that she has the dog or cats in the coop with the chickens or that she ever
leaves them untended and loose together. Other things not mentioned:
- age of the chickens (older and they are pretty safe, traditional old style
farms and even today in many places overseas, chickens are loose and the
dogs and cats are as well).
- age, type, size and nature of the dog. It's common to have dogs on farms
and only some (usually killed if so) will attack the chickens. Dogs can be
taught to protect them as part of the 'beloved masters stuff'.
- experince level she may have with animal training. Impiled is anyone with
dogs and cats, living in sin together, usually is a bit above average though
this is not some absolute.

Think for a moment. Little House on the Prarie. Dogs, cats, chickens,
cows, horse. Barn. Coop set so the chickens could get out and scratch in
the yard. 100 years ago, this was a normal farm scene. Folks didnt have a
problem keeping the dog out of the chicken coop and the chickens didnt kill
the cats.

The only 'danger sign' I percieve is if the chickens are just baby chicks
with no momma chicken to keep the cats in line, and then only a worry if
she's allowing the cats inside the fenced coop untended. Cats wont see any
difference between a week old chick and a mouse. If she has a momma chicken
there too, this is not likely to be a problem. The momma will warn the cats
off and that's that.

Old May 15th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"news" wrote in message

"Cat Lover" wrote in message
I was told they would never get along. Well Im breaking them. 3 cats
are mingling with 7 chickens. Its so funny to watch. Now I have a dog
to break in with them. I love my animals free so its this or nothing.

You must love your animals maimed and dead, too.

I was thinking the same thing. What a ****ing moron. And lazy as hell too.

Thank you very much. Now I know anything can be written here. I love
my animals and always will.. I will never look at your trash talk.
You never had soap in your mouth have you? The chickens are great
and I smile alot when we are interreacting with them. My 5 kids have
been helping me with fencing and they are loving it too.. You have a
awsome day and keep your chin up. God bless, peaceful cats.

************************************

Okay, look, I know I was harsh. But it upsets me to think about people
leaving animals to their own devices like this. It doesn't seem neat to me,
it seems dangerous and irresponsible. Not only can your cats kill your
chickens, but your roosters can hurt your cats.

Old May 16th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
news[_2_]

"cybercat" wrote in message
om...

"news" wrote in message

"Cat Lover" wrote in message
[...]

It's the "breaking them", and the "breaking in" terminology that irritates
me. That, plus the soap in the mouth statement. I'm surprised, and frankly
alarmed, that there are still people out there that think like this.