Way OT / Christianity: What Does It Mean?

Old February 22nd 05, 02:09 AM
Slimpickins

Default Way OT / Christianity: What Does It Mean?

** I want to ask, those who care to answer, what Christianity means to them?
Sadly, it appears that many here have been hurt and deeply scarred by it,
leaving them bitter, angry, and perhaps worse, apathetic towards it all.

Yes, many of us have* been scarred by some poor teachers and hypocrites in
our pasts. Yet, this 'scarring' is common everywhere*, not only in churches
and temples. Honestly, haven't we all* been this way, poor teachers and
hypocrites, at least some* times in our lives? Haven't we all at some
time(s) treated others badly, selfishly? I know I have, that's why I need
Jesus. The church should be a hospital for the sick not only for those who
are well. The real 'keys' to unlocking Christianity are mercy, trust, hope,
love, grace, forgiveness, patience, faith, eternal life, among others.

I wonder who would want to turn these priceless free gifts away? Why would
someone want to turn them down? Why not believe (in Christ), and have it be
so, then not believe, and have it not be so? What's to lose?

Lastly, after all the serious debating about prayers in schools, I wanted to
post the saying that sits on the wall in the class room of our Episcopal
school + church, especially since this NG has become more of an 'ethics,
morals and values' forum of late. Anyway, it reads..

"Values/ Statement/ Honor Code

Today, with God's help, it is my responsibility to be honest and fair and
responsible to all people.

I will be honest in word and deed.

I will treat others and myself fairly.

I will respect the religious, ethics, social and economic backgrounds of all
people.

I will protect the property of my school and others.

I will let God's love guide me today."

*Are these statements so very 'horrible' that you would never want your
child to read it?

ML

Old February 22nd 05, 02:18 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Slimpickins" wrote in message

[...]

As long as you leave "God" out of the first one & simply delete the last
one, that code's fine, IMO. Atheists & agnostics are moral people, too.

Cathy

Old February 22nd 05, 02:33 AM
kitkat

Slimpickins wrote:
[...]

Believe it or not Slim...despite going tete a tete in the breeding
thread...I am a respectful person and I respect your beliefs. However,
what makes those statements 100% appropriate in your mind is that they
follow YOUR system of beliefs. No one says they are horrible statements.
However, I think many people would be in a terrible uproar if those
same statements contained the name "Allah"..yet "allah" is simply "god"
to people with a different set of beliefs. IMO, it is better to leave
the religious wording out...in PUBLIC schools. Those statements can be
re-written to still be great statements...without mentioning God, Allah,
Buddah or Mickey Mouse (if MM is your chosen "higher power")

I like what the kids say on our morning announcements EVERY day at
school, after they give some great words of wisdom about how we behave
in situations or treat others, etc. They always end the announcements
like this "Make it a great day or not: the choice is yours!"
Awesome!

Pam
(who won't comment on Christianity because I am Jewish! )
Old February 22nd 05, 01:24 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Slimpickins" wrote in message

** I want to ask, those who care to answer, what Christianity means to

them?

snip

Isn't there a line something like anything you've done for the least of mine
you've done for me or when I was hungry you fed me and when I was cold and
wet you gave me shelter?
So any time a stray, hungry, cold, or wet cat shows up on my door step I
take him in.
I also feed some stray cats that I can't take in for no other reason than
they happened to crossed my path.

ron

Old February 22nd 05, 03:29 PM
Jim Lawton

Only worthwhile question I can ask on this newsgroup, is :-

Are cats allowed in your heaven?

Jim
Old February 22nd 05, 05:54 PM
John Ross Mc Master

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:29:09 GMT, Jim Lawton
wrote:

Only worthwhile question I can ask on this newsgroup, is :-

Are cats allowed in your heaven?

Jim

Here is a web page for a book written by someone who believes cats do
go to Heaven. Fairly convincing reasoning. Buy the book, I did.

http://www.eternalanimals.com
Old February 23rd 05, 05:04 PM
gaubster2

wrote:

Only worthwhile question I can ask on this newsgroup, is :-

Are cats allowed in your heaven?

It wouldn't be heaven without them.

I had an interested discussion awhile back. A friend of mine said no
way - animals have no souls and cannot go to heaven. I can't accept
this - how could heaven be anything good if our animals won't be
there.

Because God is there.

My mom had a wonderful answer. If you go by the bible, then animals
were in the garden of Eden, and they weren't expelled as humans were.
So, they don't need to be "saved".

Actually, that is a wonderful answer! I guess we'll find out someday!

Old February 23rd 05, 06:14 PM

"gaubster2" wrote:

I had an interested discussion awhile back. A friend of mine said no
way - animals have no souls and cannot go to heaven. I can't accept
this - how could heaven be anything good if our animals won't be
there.

Because God is there.

Then we can also assume the Easter bunny will be there as well.
Therefore cats have a good chance of also being there.

-mhd
Old February 23rd 05, 10:51 PM
Secular Fundamentalist

Even more OT in alt.atheism. No preaching allowed.

Here is a picture of a nice cat who simply loves Christians:
http://home.globalcrossing.net/~brendel/lion.html

--
David Silverman F.L.A.H.N.
aa #2208

Ignorance is death.
Old February 23rd 05, 11:50 PM
Steve G

Slimpickins wrote:
** I want to ask, those who care to answer, what Christianity
means to them? Sadly, it appears that many here have been hurt
and deeply scarred by it,leaving them bitter, angry, and perhaps
worse, apathetic towards it all.

Well, to me any belief in gods represents irrationality. Many (most?)
aethists are neither bitter nor angry toward religion, except insofaras
the many evils that are carried out under the banner of god.

(...)
are well. The real 'keys' to unlocking Christianity are mercy,
trust, hope, love, grace, forgiveness, patience, faith, eternal
life, among others.

I wonder who would want to turn these priceless free gifts
away? Why would someone want to turn them down? Why not believe
(in Christ), and have it be so, then not believe, and have it not
be so? What's to lose?

I can no more believe in god than I can believe in an invisible pixie
named Bob. I can no more choose to believe than you can choose not to
believe, after all, that's the nature of belief!

I'll also point out that your behaviour in recent threads does not seem
to meet the 'keys' you list above. You have been quite willing to soak
in the **** with the rest of us.

(...)

Today, with God's help, it is my responsibility to be honest
and fair and responsible to all people.

I will be honest in word and deed.

I will treat others and myself fairly.

I will respect the religious, ethics, social and economic
backgrounds of all people.

I will protect the property of my school and others.

I will let God's love guide me today."

*Are these statements so very 'horrible' that you would never
want your child to read it?

Remove 'God' from the above, and it looks OK to me - well, not so sure
about the 'protect the property' bit.

Steve.