Boyfriend played!

Old January 27th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Boyfriend played!

He never plays but the other day I crushed up some kitchen foil into a ball
and left it in the kitchen. Just in case a kitty might like it.
He didn't notice it for two days but then I saw him bat it around with his
paws and pounce right up into the air on it ;-) It was lovely to see.

So when he came back into the house a bit later I threw it towards him,
hoping he would start to play with it again. He was terrified. I might
just have well thrown a brick at him he was as scared as that and flew
outside.
This goes beyond timid. I am beginning to think he may have been abused.
It fits in with when I empty my chicken drinkers out and he runs as if he
thinks I'll throw water on him.
If this is so, I cannot understand it. How could anyone be cruel to this
beautiful gentle soul?

Tweed

Old January 27th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

If this is so, I cannot understand it. How could anyone be cruel to
this beautiful gentle soul?

It may not be so. Some cats just are timid.

When I first got Pi, he was typically rambunctious, but since he's an
indoor cat now, he's become unused to noises and ructions. If I so much
as sneeze, he'll go hide. The smoke detector goes off every morning when
I make my breakfast (it's the crib's way of keeping me humble) and Pi
invariably hides under the bed. The doorbell ringing is cause for a
panicked flight into his favorite hidey-hole.

I'm fairly sure he's never been abused in any way. He's just a timid
boy.

Chak

--
Martyrdom... is the only way in which a man can become famous without
ability.
Old January 27th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Chakolate" wrote in message
44.170...
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

If this is so, I cannot understand it. How could anyone be cruel to
this beautiful gentle soul?

It may not be so. Some cats just are timid.

When I first got Pi, he was typically rambunctious, but since he's an
indoor cat now, he's become unused to noises and ructions. If I so much
as sneeze, he'll go hide. The smoke detector goes off every morning when
I make my breakfast (it's the crib's way of keeping me humble) and Pi
invariably hides under the bed. The doorbell ringing is cause for a
panicked flight into his favorite hidey-hole.

I'm fairly sure he's never been abused in any way. He's just a timid
boy.

Chak

Yep, that's how Demi is. We've had her since she was 6 weeks old and have
never so much as raised our voices around her much less our hands, and yet
she still runs from us like we were going to eat her.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 27th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Poor Boyfie, it's so sad, especially as he can't tell you. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 27th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I'd like to think he is just a very nervous cat by nature. If I leave for
work leaving him very happy in the house and turn back because I've
forgotten something and enter the house again he nearly freaks out as he
seems to expect it's not me, more like someone very terrifying. I feel very
sad that sometimes he feels he cannot trust his onetruehome, his truly safe
place.

Tweed

Old January 27th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:32:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

He never plays but the other day I crushed up some kitchen foil into a ball
and left it in the kitchen. Just in case a kitty might like it.
He didn't notice it for two days but then I saw him bat it around with his
paws and pounce right up into the air on it ;-) It was lovely to see.

So when he came back into the house a bit later I threw it towards him,
hoping he would start to play with it again. He was terrified. I might
just have well thrown a brick at him he was as scared as that and flew
outside.
This goes beyond timid. I am beginning to think he may have been abused.
It fits in with when I empty my chicken drinkers out and he runs as if he
thinks I'll throw water on him.
If this is so, I cannot understand it. How could anyone be cruel to this
beautiful gentle soul?

Hopefully, in time BF will gain enough confidence that he'll enjoy
chasing things when you throw them. But, some cats are just timid and
easily frightened. Of my two former strays, I'm positive LB was
abused. How else would she know what a fly swatter was well enough to
be terrified when she sees one hanging on the wall? Over time she's
gained enough confidence to do things she wouldn't think of doing for
the first couple years she was here - like getting on counters.

OTOH, I'm think Spotty is just timid. She doesn't act like she's
afraid of getting hit, just doesn't like anything above her head -
which suppose may well be an instinctual thing. She enjoys being on
my lap, but doesn't seem sure if she should jump up on her own. So,
she comes up to where I'm sitting and reaches up and asks, but won't
make the leap up herself. Then she flinches away when I reach to pick
her up. Once she's up it doesn't take any time before she's purring
and kneading away. I'm hoping that some day she won't flinch when I
reach down to pick her up and pet her.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 28th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:22:30 -0000, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

"Adrian" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Some cats *are* constitutionally timid, or "vigilant." But you are
giving Boyfie a wonderful life, and he *did* feel like playing!
You'll surely see it again.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War