Christmas with kitten?

Old November 29th 04, 08:43 AM
Krista

Default Christmas with kitten?

Can it be done? DH and I are debating whether to even have a tree
this year, considering that Hubert is into absolutely everything and
will not be dissuaded. What little decorating I've done so far has
been met with great enthusiasm by Hubert, to whom the whole world is a
kitty toy.

Our RB Mikey didn't climb the tree or swat the ornaments off of it.
(His main expression of Christmas Spirit was spraying all the
decorations.) Mike was a hoolikitten pre-DH, and I didn't bother with
a tree then, but now most of our ornaments are glass. Shortsighted,
yes, but I just didn't plan on ever having Christmas with any other
cats but Mike. 2004 brought lots of changes, and now Christmas
approaches again.

Does anyone have any sure-fire way to keep a kitten out of a Christmas
tree? Electric fence? Mine the living room floor? Hire 24-hour
surveillance personnel, armed with waterguns?

And I have added new pics of those adorable beasties Tallulah and
Hubert:

http://photos.yahoo.com/crazycatlawyer

------
Krista
Old November 29th 04, 09:00 AM
MaryL

"Krista" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I *love* the "hardworking" photo! It might be hard to keep Hubert away from
a tree this year, considering how young he is. One suggestion is to try to
make a "barricade" of strategically-placed giftwrapped packages that would
make it difficult for Hubert to get to the tree. If you have an artificial
tree, you could "experiment" first by setting the tree up (undecorated) for
a few days, and observe Hubert's behavior. He probably won't be able to
climb the outside of the branches, so it will help if they droop low.
However, you want to keep him away from the trunk and sturdier/more rigid
parts of the branches, which would be more inviting and "climbable."

MaryL

Old November 29th 04, 03:15 PM
Victor Martinez

Krista wrote:
Can it be done? DH and I are debating whether to even have a tree
this year, considering that Hubert is into absolutely everything and
will not be dissuaded. What little decorating I've done so far has

We haven't done the tree thing since we got Fez and Rufous. Basho and
Issa pretty much ignored the tree, so did Xoxo. Luna was curious about
it and Maya tried very hard to steal some ornaments she really liked.
However... little Fez would no doubt climb the tree and his brother
Rufous would love to chew on the lights. So we've decided to forgo the
tree. Neither of us is home for x-mas anyway...

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 29th 04, 03:24 PM
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
On 29 Nov 2004 00:43:51 -0800, (Krista)
yodeled:

Can it be done? DH and I are debating whether to even have a tree
this year, considering that Hubert is into absolutely everything and
will not be dissuaded. What little decorating I've done so far has
been met with great enthusiasm by Hubert, to whom the whole world is
a kitty toy.

http://photos.yahoo.com/crazycatlawyer

------
Krista

SCREAM! THUD! recovery mental BOOP!

Tallulah is such an elegant lady-- and--
Dontcha loooove spotty tummies?

Theresa

Yep, I do love spotty tummies! I like the idea of hiring teams armed with
squirt guns

Jill

Old November 29th 04, 03:32 PM
Kreisleriana

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:24:31 -0600, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:
On 29 Nov 2004 00:43:51 -0800, (Krista)
yodeled:

Can it be done? DH and I are debating whether to even have a tree
this year, considering that Hubert is into absolutely everything and
will not be dissuaded. What little decorating I've done so far has
been met with great enthusiasm by Hubert, to whom the whole world is
a kitty toy.

http://photos.yahoo.com/crazycatlawyer

------
Krista

SCREAM! THUD! recovery mental BOOP!

Tallulah is such an elegant lady-- and--
Dontcha loooove spotty tummies?

Theresa

Yep, I do love spotty tummies! I like the idea of hiring teams armed with
squirt guns

Jil

Good idea.
BTW, he's got some pretty impressive whisker pads, too. He's got
that "wild" look.

Theresa

Old November 29th 04, 05:29 PM
Irulan

I've learned. When we first got Jazz he pulled over the tree when he tried
to get to the dangly balls. Now we only put up lights, no balls, no dangly
things, no decorations. Actually, the tree looks quite pretty with a million
sparkling lights on it. And Jazz likes it too.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come
om...

Old November 29th 04, 05:39 PM
Krista

I *love* the "hardworking" photo! It might be hard to keep Hubert away from
a tree this year, considering how young he is. One suggestion is to try to
make a "barricade" of strategically-placed giftwrapped packages that would
make it difficult for Hubert to get to the tree. If you have an artificial
tree, you could "experiment" first by setting the tree up (undecorated) for
a few days, and observe Hubert's behavior. He probably won't be able to
climb the outside of the branches, so it will help if they droop low.
However, you want to keep him away from the trunk and sturdier/more rigid
parts of the branches, which would be more inviting and "climbable."

MaryL

Thanks for admiring my darlings, and for the advice. We will be
getting a live tree, if we do get one at all; maybe we'll just get a
little bitty tree and leave it up for a day or two before decorating
it, just to see how he does. An utterly unadorned tree in the living
room would look a little odd, but it may just have to be a dry run in
preparation for next year. :-)

------
Krista
Old November 29th 04, 05:52 PM
:-\)Liz

We put up a real tree every year (and you folks know how many kitties we
have).. I have to coat hooks screwed to the wall and we weave a gold, heavy
chain through the tree and hook the chain on both hooks...We have kitty
related ornaments(long ago putting away the glass, fancy ones)....no longer
do we use icles or garland(the kitties always ate it and problems
occurred)....and ofcourse we hang stockings up for The Whole Motley Crew as
well... :-) Liz

om...