declawing

Old August 21st 03, 07:00 PM

"MaryL" wrote in message ...

I have also found that my cats eat far less food now that I have changed to
premium food (canned Wellness and canned Felidae plus a small amount of dry
Wellness). Their coats are much better, and their optimum weight is being
maintained.

Concerning your question about Petsmart: I like many of the products at
Petsmart, but my experience has been that many of their employees know very
little about cats or even about their own supplies. I buy products there
but do not count on them for advice (and I order my cat food through the
Internet).

MaryL

Ugh. I'd have to use a credit card to mail order food...
So, looks like I might be trying Nutro since it seems to be the
popular choice here.

Are there ANY grocery store brands that are any good? I have to drive
clear to Austin to go to Petsmart, but I might be able to get Critter
Corner here in town to carry what I need also.

K.

Old August 21st 03, 10:01 PM

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
From:
)

I'm not a friggin collector; And I don't want to become one. I've
already recognized the possibilty, and have said no to many cats.
sigh There was a beautiful green eyed, blue short hair tom that got
abandoned at the hospital where I work recently. Goddess knows I was
tempted! I did feed him, he dissapeared after about 3 days. I'm hoping
the shelter did not pick him up. New Braunfels shelter is notorious

I know how hard it is to say no. But you have to keep in mind that you, as
only one person, cannot save them all. It is in the best interests of the
cats, both the abandoned ones, and the ones you already have, for you to not
take any more into your home.
________

Yes, I know...... sad smile

Now I just have to continue to gripe at people that I know to get
their cats spayed! One cat that I accepted from a guy at work a few
years ago was taken under two conditions. One, I got the pick of the
litter and he had to get his cat fixed... He complied. :-) I also
just payed for my neighbor who is poor to get Saris spayed. Lynn will
mow my lawn for a few weeks to pay me back. She did let her have one
litter but she made the cat stay outside to have it. With the number
of fire ants and small predators in our area, feral kittens rarely
surive. The litter was born under the house and lasted less than a
week. :-( Oh well..... They never actually saw the kittens, they
just heard them under the kitchen floor, then they smelled them. :-(

Life sux sometimes. Poor kittens.

Old August 21st 03, 10:14 PM
Arjun Ray

In ,
)

| I'm not a friggin collector; And I don't want to become one. I've
| already recognized the possibilty, and have said no to many cats.

| I know how hard it is to say no. But you have to keep in mind that
| you, as only one person, cannot save them all.

This, in fact, is the critical distinction between rescuers and people
who think they're rescuing.

Rescuing calls for considerable organization, especially at the adoption
end. You need people and time for a myriad things: basic care for the
cats; fostering and trips to the vet; socializing kittens; manning
adoption facilities for long hours - be they in storefronts, street
corners, weekend fairs and flea markets, local adoptathons or wherever
else; not to mention filing for 501(c)3 status and keeping books. The
list goes on and on.

A single person can't do all of this alone - and if someone does, then
it's an inescapable fact that he or she personally has only a handful of
adoptables at any given time: two or three, or a litter, etc. Never a
whole bunch: it isn't humanly possible. Thus, reputable rescuers almost
invariably become *organizations*, with principals and volunteers, each
chipping in to get things done. Rescuers need and thrive on networking.
Anyone apparently hacking it on their own with a passel of rescues is,
by the essential nature of the enterprise, suspect.

What bothered me about Katra's posts - and led to my suggestion of
collector behavior - was not so much what she wrote but what she didn't
write. She never mentioned how many cats she has adopted out, or what
she has done to adopt cats out - which Humane Societies or other rescue
groups she stays in touch with, works with, networks with.

Among the rescuers I know, this is the point of pride - the fact that
they find homes for the cats. How many cats they presently have is a
subject only for kvetching sessions when they can trust you to have a
sympathetic ear.

Old August 21st 03, 10:14 PM
Arjun Ray

In ,
)

Old August 21st 03, 11:50 PM

"MaryL" wrote in message ...
"Cheryl" wrote in message
(D. Stephen Heersink) wrote in
:

I've always declawed my cats because they are always indoors and if I
don't, they will claw the furniture and me. Since I have expensive
furniture and don't want scars on me, I've found the declawing a cat
is the best way to accomplish our mutual goals.

You appear to think forums such as this are only read by people in N
America. That is not the case and everywhere else declawing is considered
barbaric. Get a clue. Scars on you; what a wuss. Furniture is more
important? Get a fish. ****head.

--
Cheryl

And, of course, many of us in N. America also consider declawing to be
barbaric. The irony of D. Heersink's message about "expensive furniture" is
that cats should be more important than furniture but the two actually are
not mutually exclusive. I have very good furniture and two cats with claws
(plus previous cats with claws), but no scratches. As someone else
mentioned, the only scratches I get are on window sills (easily repaired).
I do have scratching posts that get mangled, but that is their purpose!

MaryL

The last couch I bought for the livingroom had a metal frame...
Problem solved. ;-) Sisal scratching posts are cheap to either make or buy,
and the cats will PREFER to use them instead of the furniture, especially
if you rub fresh catnip on it. I have a large organic catnip patch out back
in the gardens.

Nothing funnier than a pack of stoned kitties. g
Please don't flame me for that, I only give them catnip every couple
of weeks....

Carpet samples turned upside down are an even bigger favorite, as are
the cardboard scratchers that can be purchased at petsmart. I'm considering
stapling some of the carpet samples to boards.

My cats favorite scratching posts tho' have been office room dividers!
They are covered with a burlap type surface, and I picked up 3 of them
for 5 bucks each from a local furniture recycler. The cats love to climb
them and perch on top, and of coarse, scratch them up. They look a bit
ratty after a bit but they are in the cat room so I don't care.....

K.
Old August 21st 03, 11:50 PM

"MaryL" wrote in message ...
"Cheryl" wrote in message
(D. Stephen Heersink) wrote in
:

Old August 22nd 03, 05:52 AM
Katra

Sherry wrote:

Carpet samples turned upside down are an even bigger favorite, as are
the cardboard scratchers that can be purchased at petsmart. I'm considering
stapling some of the carpet samples to boards.

My cats favorite scratching posts tho' have been office room dividers!
They are covered with a burlap type surface, and I picked up 3 of them
for 5 bucks each from a local furniture recycler. The cats love to climb
them and perch on top, and of coarse, scratch them up. They look a bit
ratty after a bit but they are in the cat room so I don't care.....

K.

The favored scratching surface for mine seems to be cardboard. We learned this
by accident, when I laid a pizza box in the floor next to the trash can. So
naturally they really love those turbo scratchers.

Sherry

Turbo scratchers are a scream when the kids are on catnip... ;-)
It's hilarious to watch them chase the ball.
I only have one, but am considering getting a couple more. Heaven knows
the refills are easily aquired.

Pizza box? Cats are sensitive to some herbs and the main herb in italian
food is Oregano. Mine love the fresh catnip, and also Valerian root.
That's neat. :-) I'll have to leave the box on the floor next time we
have pizza.

I've been meaning to ask... just how safe is Valerian for cats??? Since
I don't know, I've barely let them have a few crumbs of it. I'm so
cautious with cats and plants/herbs.

Is Oregano safe? My herb garden has produced far more than I can cook
with. If the cats would like it.....

K.
--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra