Human food recall--canned chili and meats in US

Old July 24th 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debra

Default Human food recall--canned chili and meats in US

Just in case someone here hasn't heard about it yet. A lot of brands
are involved and a list can be found he
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/News_&_Even...nded/index.asp
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 24th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
oldhickory

thanks for the heads up!

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

Old July 24th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

Default Dog Food Recall (was Human food recall--canned chili and meats in US)

At the bottom of the Castleberry's recall list:

Also, four varieties of Natural Balance Eatables dog food were
recalled:

· Irish Stew with Beef, 15 oz.

· Chinese Take Out with Sauce with Vegetables and Chicken, 15 oz.

· Southern Style Dumplings with Gravy with Chicken and Vegetables, 15
oz.

· Hobo Chili with Chicken, 15 oz.

Julie
(who finds it interesting to see who's "brand" name is manufactured by
major companies)

Old July 24th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

GaDragonfly wrote:

At the bottom of the Castleberry's recall list:

Also, four varieties of Natural Balance Eatables dog food were
recalled:

· Irish Stew with Beef, 15 oz.

· Chinese Take Out with Sauce with Vegetables and Chicken, 15 oz.

· Southern Style Dumplings with Gravy with Chicken and Vegetables, 15
oz.

· Hobo Chili with Chicken, 15 oz.

Julie
(who finds it interesting to see who's "brand" name is manufactured by
major companies)

Even if I had a dog, mine would be safe! Why would ANYONE
buy such human-sounding products for their pets? (It's
true, people used to feed their companion animals on table
scraps, but that changed a good sixty to a hundred years
ago, when they began producing food actually INTENDED for
dogs and cats, and suited to their nutritional needs.)

Old July 24th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

GaDragonfly wrote:

[...]

What passed for actual dog food may have been around that long. Cat food
I'm not so sure. And for a good part of that time intended might apply, but
suited to their nutritional needs not so much.

Dog food was often a use for otherwise unsaleable by-products.

Far more people owned dogs and cats during the depression and WWII who
either didn't have the money to buy pet foods, or thought it was a waste of
money.

You can still provide a very good diet for a dog or a cat without resorting
to commercial feeds,

Also, given a suitable climate, ferals can do a darn good job of providing
their own nutrition. If they are protected from some of the dangers of the
lifestyle. Such as disease and overbreeding.

Jo

Old July 24th 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jofirey wrote:

What passed for actual dog food may have been around that long. Cat food
I'm not so sure. And for a good part of that time intended might apply, but
suited to their nutritional needs not so much.

Here's a question - since humans domesticated cats 9,000 years ago, and
started feeding the cats their table scraps (in addition to the rats they
caught, which is what started the domestication to begin with), then why,
over the ensuing 9,000 years, didn't the cats evolve to adapt to the diet
of human table scraps?

It seems that domestication has been very good for the species - most
felines are endangered, while domestic cats are in an overpopulation
crisis (at least in some places). The cat-human arrangement has been
beneficial to them. So I wonder why their bodies didn't adapt to the
food supply that was available to them - ie, human-food leftovers?

Joyce
Old July 24th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson

wrote:
jofirey wrote:

What passed for actual dog food may have been around that long. Cat food
I'm not so sure. And for a good part of that time intended might apply, but
suited to their nutritional needs not so much.

Here's a question - since humans domesticated cats 9,000 years ago, and
started feeding the cats their table scraps (in addition to the rats they
caught, which is what started the domestication to begin with), then why,
over the ensuing 9,000 years, didn't the cats evolve to adapt to the diet
of human table scraps?

It seems that domestication has been very good for the species - most
felines are endangered, while domestic cats are in an overpopulation
crisis (at least in some places). The cat-human arrangement has been
beneficial to them. So I wonder why their bodies didn't adapt to the
food supply that was available to them - ie, human-food leftovers?

But they weren't domesticated to eat the human food scraps, they earned
their keep killing and eating rodents and the like. Early selection by
humans would favor the good rat catchers over the ones that spend all
their time mooching food of da hoomans :-) Although judging by my lot,
some of the moochers made it through :-)

--
Nik Simpson
Old July 24th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Nik Simpson wrote:

But they weren't domesticated to eat the human food scraps, they earned
their keep killing and eating rodents and the like. Early selection by
humans would favor the good rat catchers over the ones that spend all
their time mooching food of da hoomans :-) Although judging by my lot,
some of the moochers made it through :-)

I agree with you that that's how it started. But at some point, people
took in cats as pets, too, and I think that was fairly early on in the
process. Didn't early Egyptians have cats as pets? Other cultures did,
too. I'm sure cats continued to catch their food, but couldn't they also
have give the cats their leftovers?

Cats can reproduce a couple of times a year, correct? And it only takes
6-9 months for a kitten to grow up to reproductive age. So 9,000 years
could be an evolutionarily significant period of time for the cat's
biological systems to change and adapt to the available food supply.

I suppose that if cats generally subsisted on human-food scraps AND
whatever they could catch, then they wouldn't have needed to adapt to
a diet consisting only of scraps. So the scraps alone wouldn't be enough
for them.

Joyce
Old July 25th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Probably because cats are TRUE carnivores, and 9,000 years
is scarcely a blip on the evolutionary time-scale.

It is for humans, who take at least 12 or 13 years to become old enough
to reproduce, and who give birth to one or two children a year, more
or less. Whereas a cat reaches sexual maturity in 6-9 months, and can
give birth to several kittens at once. I don't know how many litters per
year a cat typically has - I guess it depends on the climate where they
live? In the North African/Middle Eastern areas where cats were first
domesticated, I would imagine they could have 2 or 3 litters a year.

The upshot being that cat evolution can happen a lot more quickly than
human evolution, and 9,000 years might indeed be significant.

And if cats were evolving in order to adapt to the diet humans were
feeding them, then perhaps they would no longer *be* true carnivores.

Obviously, this didn't happen, but I was just curious as to why. My
guess is that even as cats were fed by the humans they lived with or
near, they continued to be predators, and maybe even got the bulk of
their sustenance from hunting.

Joyce