OT Irish recipes in honor of St. Patties day

Old March 13th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default OT Irish recipes in honor of St. Patties day

Irish tea cake

servings for 12

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons butter, softened
1 cup and 3 tablespoons white sugar
2-1/2 eggs
1-3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons milk
1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch
round pan.
In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and
fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time then stir in the vanilla. Combine
the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the batter alternately with the
milk. If the batter is too stiff, a tablespoon or two of milk may be added.
Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted
into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack, then turn out
onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar right before serving

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake
1 pkg. Duncan Hines yellow cake mix (without pudding)
3/4 cup chopped nuts
1 package instant French vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup Bailey's Irish Cream
Bailey's Irish Cream frosting (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts
into bottom of pan. Combine remaining ingredients in large mixing bowl. Beat
four minutes on high speed, pour into pan. Bake 45 to 55 minutes until a
toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake
cool and invert onto plate.

Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting

1 pound powdered sugar
5 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream

Beat all ingredients in a small bowl until fluffy

Lemon-Irish Whiskey Cake Recipe
Ingredients :
Ideally this recipe should be started the day before baking.
1 lemon, zest of, cut into julienne
3/4 cup superfine sugar (regular sugar can be processed in a blender of food
processor)
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup Irish whiskey
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
2 cups flour
3/4 cup almonds, ground
1 pinch salt
Preparation :
Place julienned lemon zest in a small bowl. Let it soak in whiskey
overnight. The next day, preheat oven to 350°F .Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy and then whisk in
the eggs. Sift the flour and add to the butter mixture together with the
salt. Stir to blend. Fold in the ground almonds. Strain the whiskey,
discarding the zest, and stir the whiskey into the batter. Pour into the
prepared pan, and bake for about one hour, until golden brown, and a
toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
10 servings

Chocolate Potato Candy
Ingredients :
4 cups powdered sugar
4 cups flaked coconut
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup cold mashed potatoes (without added milk or butter)
1/2 salt
1 pound chocolate or candy coating
Preparation :
Combine sugar, potatoes, coconut, vanilla, and salt and mix well. Line a
9-inch pan with foil covered with a non-stick spray (or use butter or
shortening on the foil). Spread the mixture evenly into the pan, cover and
refrigerate overnight. Cut into rectangles. Cover and freeze. Melt the
chocolate and dip the bars into the coating. Place on waxed paper to harden.
Store in an airtight container.

Irish Scones
Ingredients :
1 cup white flour
1/4 pound butter -- softened
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 ounces sugar
2 ounces milk Sultanas (white raisins) optional
Walnut halves (optional)
Preparation :
Mix flour and baking powder. Add butter, and blend until the mixture is
butter-colored. Add sugar and continue to mix well. Add half the beaten egg
and all the milk. Add raisins or some nuts, if desired, mixing well to make
a sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured board and knead for at least 5
minutes or longer. Cut dough into rounds and place on greased baking sheet
or hot frying pan. Brush tops of scones with remainder of beaten egg. Place
walnut halves on top, if desired. Bake at 350 to 375 degrees for about 15 to
20 minutes, or until brown. If preparing over an open fire, heat frying pan
till very hot . Place scones in pan and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Turn and
cook for another 7 to 8 minutes.
Makes 6 scones.

Irish Lamb Stew
Serves 8
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Ingredients :
cup all-purpose flour
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 pounds boneless lamb stew meat (preferably shoulder), trimmed of excess
fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
teaspoon dried thyme
1- cups dark beer
1- pounds medium new potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut inch thick diagonally
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preparation :
In a large bowl, season flour with salt and pepper.
Dredge lamb in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Working in batches, brown lamb
on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate.
Pour 1/4 cup water into pot, scraping up browned bits from bottom with a
wooden spoon.
Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until water has evaporated and onion
is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
Return lamb to pot; stir in thyme, beer, and 1 1/2 cups water.
Cover; simmer until lamb is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
(can also be refrigarated, and taken later)
Add potatoes, carrots, and 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, until vegetables
are tender and stew has thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and
pepper. Let cool completely before storing. Stir in parsley just before
serving

Corned Beef Brisket Recipe
Ingredients :
1 (8-10 lb) beef brisket
4 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in thirds
The Brine
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
2 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon peppercorns
The Simmering Liquid
water, to come up 3/4 to side of brisket
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
4 garlic cloves, sliced
Preparation :
Combine all of the brine ingredients and bring to a boil, then cool. Place
the beef brisket, the cooled brine, and the 4 garlic cloves in a huge
plastic roasting bag. Make sure that all of the meat is covered by the
brine, tie off tightly, place in a pot large enough to hold it all, and
refrigerate for 6 to 7 days, turning occasionally.
After the 6 to 7 days, discard the brine after removing the brisket from the
brine. The meat should be thoroughly rinsed and then placed in a Dutch oven
or other large pot. Add enough water to come up 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up the
side of the meat.
Add the rest of the Simmering Liquid ingredients (peppercorns, mustard
seeds, allspice, cloves and garlic), bring to a boil and skim off any foam.
Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, covered, for at least 3 hours.
6-8 servings.

Old March 13th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
Irish tea cake servings for 12

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake

Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting

Chocolate Potato Candy

Irish Scones

Irish Lamb Stew Serves 8

Corned Beef Brisket Recipe

Are you trying to kill us???
Old March 13th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
Matthew wrote:
Irish tea cake servings for 12

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake

Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting

Chocolate Potato Candy

Irish Scones

Irish Lamb Stew Serves 8

Corned Beef Brisket Recipe

Are you trying to kill us???

Nope just fatten you all skinny people up ;-)

Old March 13th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Matthew wrote:
Irish tea cake servings for 12

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake

Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting

Chocolate Potato Candy

Irish Scones

Irish Lamb Stew Serves 8
Corned Beef Brisket Recipe

Are you trying to kill us???

Nope just fatten you all skinny people up ;-)

My size 44 trowser does not need any fattening, thank you (drooling...)
Old March 13th 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

ng.com...

Matthew wrote:
Irish tea cake servings for 12

Bailey's Irish Cream Cake

Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting

Chocolate Potato Candy

Irish Scones

Irish Lamb Stew Serves 8

Corned Beef Brisket Recipe

Are you trying to kill us???

Nope just fatten you all skinny people up ;-)

You ever make the spiral peanut butter potato candy?

Like the above recipe it had to be real boiled potato, not instant,
nothing added. And pretty dry.

Jo

Old March 13th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

What in the name of Granny's goat is this? " Chocolate Potato Candy"

Old March 13th 09, 01:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 08:01:45 -0500, Granby wrote:

What in the name of Granny's goat is this? " Chocolate Potato Candy"

It sounds strange enough that I just might have to try it. Of course,
after enough Baileys or Jamesons I might be willing to try just about
anything...

Dan

Old March 13th 09, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Changed to potatoe candy

you have never hade potatoe candy before let me tempt you a bit.

Ingredients
3/4 c Mashed potato; cold
4 c Coconut; shredded
4 c Confectioners sugar
1 1/2 ts Vanilla
1/2 ts Salt
4 oz Baking chocolate

Instructions
Mix potatoes plain mashed (no butter,milk or salt added) and confectioners
sugar. Stir in coconut, vanilla and salt. Blend well. Press into one large
or two small pans, so that candy is about 1/2 inch thick. Melt chocolate in
double boiler, on low heat, do not allow water to boil. Pour over top of
candy and cool in refrigerator. Cut in Bite size squares. For variation you
can roll in balls, and roll in cinnamon for Pattysday or shape in 1 inch
high cones, and dip base in chocolate. Forming little haystacks. Yeilds
about 100 haystacks

Ingredients
2/3 c Mashed potatoes, hot
2 ts Butter; melted
2 1/2 tb Cocoa; or
1 1/2 Unsweetened chocolate square
1 ts Vanilla extract
Salt; just a dash
1/2 lb Coconut, moist

Instructions
Remove lumps from mashed potatoes; add butter and beat until smooth. Add
sugar and blend well. Add the cocoa or cooled melted chocolate, vanilla,
salt and coconut. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Keep candy regular
in shape and size. Place in refrigerator to harden. Candy should be kept in
a tightly covered container. Makes about 1 1/2 pounds of potato kisses

Old March 13th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Oh sort of ends up like rum balls. Didn't get to shop today as the kids
decided to go to Indianapolis for the week end. Darn, all this good stuff
has to wait until next week. These things sound wonderful. I took off 30
pounds over the last three years, I better watch or could put it right back
on!!!
g.com...