Spayed, Neutered, Speutered or...

Old February 16th 09, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Spayed, Neutered, Speutered or...

Altered?

I know we've coined the term 'speutered'. I was looking at the local animal
shelter web site. (No I'm not thinking of adopting another cat, Persia
would smother me in my sleep.) I was talking with a friend and decided to
look it up. I notice they say the cats up for adoption have been "altered".
I'm sure that's the correct term. But it conjurs up some strange things in
my mind. Genetically altered? Nope. Experience with mind-altering drugs
such as catnip? Probably. LOL

Their web site indicates they need donations of old blankets, towels and
wash cloths. I'm going through the closets one at a time. The clothing
will go to thrift shops such as the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I haven't
gone through the linen closet yet but I know it contains flannel sheets
older than I am! And there are towels with matching wash cloths in the
bathroom I remember from when I was 16. I'll be donating these things to
the shelter.

Jill

Old February 16th 09, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Feb 16, 7:05*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Ive read that the medically correct term is "spayed" and "castrated".
(Is the latter
just too offensive, or reserved for livestock?) I've heard "altered",
"desexed", "fixed"
"neutered" and from our English friends I've noticed the term
"done".
They'll be thrilled to get your old linens. Folded Flannel sheets
would be perfect for cage
bedding. And towels are a commodity you can't have too many of at a
shelter.
There are lots of things shelters love to get that sometimes we don't
think about --
hand soap/lotion, printer paper, any office supplies, garden hoses,
nozzles, laundry
supplies. Any good used item they can use is that much more of budget
money that can go
to the animals. My daughter gets tons of those advertising ink pens
from pharmaceutical
reps -- I even take them down there by the dozens. Every little bit
helps!
I like to catch a good sale on Bath & Bodyworks and take a bag of hand
care stuff too. The
work those people do is hard on hands, esp. in the winter. They would
never buy that stuff
out of the budget, and I think it's just a nice way of saying you
appreciate what they do.
Sherry
Old February 16th 09, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

What about desexed.
Old February 16th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

================================

That is so thoughtful! You're right, I wouldn't have considered that but I
can see where it would be much appreciated.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 16th 09, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Ive read that the medically correct term is "spayed" and "castrated".
(Is the latter just too offensive, or reserved for livestock?) I've
heard "altered", "desexed", "fixed" "neutered" and from our English
friends I've noticed the term "done".

And another weird UK euphemism: "dressed".

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 17th 09, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Feb 16, 8:05*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

On another newsgroup far, far away, someone has given the little
boycats the idea that they are being taken to the TEDs to be
"tutored."

--
Will in New Haven

Old February 17th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Ive read that the medically correct term is "spayed" and "castrated".
(Is the latter just too offensive, or reserved for livestock?) I've
heard "altered", "desexed", "fixed" "neutered" and from our English
friends I've noticed the term "done".

And another weird UK euphemism: "dressed".

I've never heard that.
Neutered can apply to both but more often to males. Spayed for a female.

Tweed

Old February 18th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Our vet uses the terms "spayed" or "neutered" for small animals; "castrated"
seems to refer to large animals such as cattle and horses (although a male
horse is often/usually referred to as "gelded"). Many people just use the
generic term "fixed" for either male or female, which solves the problem
when a person is not sure which term to use. I occasionally hear "altered,"
but I have never seen "speutered" except on the newsgroup.

MaryL

Old February 18th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
Ive read that the medically correct term is "spayed" and "castrated".
(Is the latter just too offensive, or reserved for livestock?) I've
heard "altered", "desexed", "fixed" "neutered" and from our English
friends I've noticed the term "done".

And another weird UK euphemism: "dressed".

No, never heard that one in relation to spay/neuter, only in relation to
crab... to be eaten!

Old February 18th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Will in New Haven" wrote in message

On another newsgroup far, far away, someone has given the little
boycats the idea that they are being taken to the TEDs to be
"tutored."

Or 'fixed even though not broke'