Cats don't require grass as part of their diet?

Old June 22nd 12, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Cats don't require grass as part of their diet?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 01:02:51 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

"FragSinatra" wrote in message
"Matthew" wrote in
:

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ats-eat-grass/

Thanks, that was interesting reading.

I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed, washed
and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

neither i belive they have garlic and onions in the mix

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to
---

Catnip dressing. Now if I could only find a recipe.
Old June 22nd 12, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
"Matthew" wrote in
news:4fe0e04a$0$25455 :

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ats-eat-grass/

Thanks, that was interesting reading.

I've tried to make cat salads from grass, but for some reason there's
no feline interest in my cat salads -- even if freshly cut, rinsed,
washed
and dried in a collander. Maybe I should put salad dressing on it? But
what kind? Vinagrette? Ranch?

Try putting some shrimp meat in it. Ande avoid the vinigar... Catsw don't
like vinigar. Try a little mayonaisse. (throw in some grapefruit sections
and avacado, and I'll show up for dinner myself....:^)

Old June 22nd 12, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

dgk wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:57:33 -0700, "Bill Graham"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 21:02:51 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

If cats benefited from grass in their diet, cheap cat food would
include it. And it would be a well used marketing point.

I let my cats into my little fenced-in backyard, and the first thing
they do is start nibbling the grass. Sometimes it comes back up but
not always. I make sure not to use any kind of poison in the yard,
and ususally not even fertilizer. I do stick some sort of tomato
fertilizer sticks near each tomato plant, but since that goes
directly into the ground I figure there is no threat to the cats.

Cats don't seem to like eating tomatos though.

Don't use, "Round Up" on your weeds. A neighbor of mine did, and it
killed my cat last year. (as well as a bunch of squirrels and
racoons.)

Really, I thought it wasn't supposed to do that. But I certainly
wouldn't let my cats go where RoundUp had been applied in any case. It
does mean that I have a fair number of weeds though.

Well, I have an unusual situation. There is a spring at the back edge of my
property, and a small stream that runs along my neighbors property as well
as my own. Many small animals, as well as stray cats drink from this stream.
When my neighbor used Round Up on his weeds, the run off contaminated that
small stream (a drainage ditch about two feet wide) and killed off a bunch
of critters, as well as some cats, including my favorit. (B-K, whome I
picked up in a Burger King parking lot 6-1/2 years before.) I'll never
forget B-K. He was easily the neatest cat I have ever known. He would come
when I called him with a dog whistle. He befriended everyone on the block,
including their dogs... I could write a book about this cat. Any way, be
very careful how you use Round Up or anything like that around animals.

Old June 23rd 12, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

wrote:

Well, I have an unusual situation. There is a spring at the back edge
of my property, and a small stream that runs along my neighbors
property as well as my own. Many small animals, as well as stray cats
drink from this stream. When my neighbor used Round Up on his weeds,
the run off contaminated that small stream (a drainage ditch about two
feet wide) and killed off a bunch of critters, as well as some cats,
including my favorit. (B-K, whome I picked up in a Burger King parking
lot 6-1/2 years before.) I'll never forget B-K. He was easily the
neatest cat I have ever known. He would come when I called him with a
dog whistle. He befriended everyone on the block, including their
dogs... I could write a book about this cat. Any way, be very careful
how you use Round Up or anything like that around animals.

My mom used to have a cat that would come would called. She would go out
in the backyard and yell his name Pawz and he would come. Once I watched
what happened and saw Pawz climb on the top of a roof, look at my mom,
meow, then climb back down. A few minutes later he hopped up on top of the
fence and came down to my mom. The neighbors didn't appreciate her
yelling Pawz name for the 5 minutes or so it took to get him to come home
for the night.

I'm sorry to hear about B-K, he sounds like a real feline character.

Old June 25th 12, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Thank you. He was the love of my life. He has beed cead over a year
now. this last year has been a lot duller for me because of B-K's demise. He
knew all the neighbors and their dogs. If they would leave a window cracked
more than about 4 inches, B-K would sneak into their houses at night and
they would wake up with him sleeping on their bedroom floor, or perhaps
showing up at their dinner tables. A month after he died, a strange dog from
down the block came into my house (I had the front door open) sniffed around
my whole house, and then went outside and lay down on B-K's favorite
sleeping spot, my front door mat. He put his head down between his front
paws for about ten minutes, and then left and went back home. B-K only lived
about 7-1/2 years, but he spent 6-1/2 of them with me, and he left an
impression on me that has changed my whole attitude on life. Someone said
once, "Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains
unawakened." B-K woke up my soul big time.......

Old June 26th 12, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FragSinatra

"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

What a sad story, he was taken away in the prime of his life. B-K even
had canine admirers. Personally, I'd like to read more stories about B-
K, the sociable feline.

Old June 26th 12, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

FragSinatra wrote:
"Bill Graham" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

If I knew more, I would write them, but B-K spent a lot of time away from my
house. He was very gregarious and had a lot of friends on the block. Also, I
had four other cats, so my wife and I didn't worry about B-K much. All of
our cats are outside cats with two cat doors that let them come and go as
they please anytime they want. Once I got B-K home from that Burger King
parking lot, he pretty well wasted no time learning his new territory and
meeting the neighbors. I was lucky if I saw him even once a day. He only
lived half a life in years, but he packed enough living into those years to
more than make up for it. I wish I knew all the places he went and all the
people and dogs he knew. If I did, I would write a book about him.