Kitten Converts Reluctant Owner

Old January 19th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Kitten Converts Reluctant Owner

On 1/17/2017 9:33 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 23:39:43 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

With creamed corn, or any other processed food that has more than just the
vegetable in it, it's a good idea to read the ingredients list to make sure
there's no onion. Onion is bad for cats and can cause serious health problems,
maybe even death. The same is true for garlic, although that's less likely
to be found in creamed corn.

This fact IS a problem, because Minnie likes spaghetti and I haven't seen a jar
of spaghetti sauce yet that doesn't have onion and dried or dehydrated garlic on
the list of ingredients. Luckily, she'll accept pasta without sauce, especially
if I melt a little butter on it for her first.

I only had cream corn because it was given to me, and I've used it up. When I
buy it, it's kernal corn, and again I melt butter on it when I heat it up, which
gives her another reason to like it. Then again, I also melt butter on my peas
and green beans, and she couldn't be any less interested in them.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

I can't remember who it was who used to post here who had a cat that
loved broccoli...

Jill
Old January 19th 17, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:56:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

On 1/18/2017 2:05 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 02:03:28 -0500, John Kasupski wrote:

Oops - sorry! I guess that's what I get for posting at two o'clock in the
morning. That should read, "In a perfect world..."

I knew what you meant. We all do it from time to time, regardless of
what time it is. If you know what I mean.

It's just that once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was a contributing editor
for a nationally circulated magazine, and I was known for turning in what we
referred to as "clean copy" - so I hate letting errors like that slip by me.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 19th 17, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:55:29 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

Shortly after Persia (RB) decided to live with me I found her standing
outside the entrance to the kitchen off the hallway. She meowed at me
but absolutely would *not* go into the kitchen. I flipped on the light.
There was a dead mouse in the middle of the kitchen floor. It hadn't
been killed by her; there wasn't a mark on it. (For all I knew it
keeled over from a heart attack when it saw Persia.) She refused to go
into the kitchen until I had disposed of the mouse and mopped the floor!
Guess she was afraid of mice.

She was great at catching the nasty palmetto bugs that sometimes got
inside, though. I'm not afraid of mice but palmetto bugs absolutely
creep me out.

Well, I suppose a cat who is afraid of mice has to redeem her feline reputation
somehow, doesn't she? :-)

We don't have palmetto bugs this far north, but we do have cockroaches, which
are similar, and I've been known to evacuate a residence and fumigate the whole
place with aerosol insecticide bombs after seeing just one of them around.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 19th 17, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_5_]

On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 9:30:34 PM UTC-6, John Kasupski wrote:
In another thread, I promised (or threatened, depending on your point of view)
to tell the story of how my relatively new kitten Minnie changed my mind about
not really wanting a pet - so, here goes...

Why didn't I want another pet at the time? About fifteen years ago, I had a cat
named Goldie, a male orange tabby who was, to make a long story shorter, the
coolest cat I'd ever seen - and I've seen my share. Then one morning I left for
work and saw him lying dead on the shoulder of the road about fifty feet from
the driveway. He'd gotten outside during the night and been struck and killed by
a passing vehicle. It was obvious he'd been on the shoulder of the road and not
in the driving lane when he was hit, so whoever killed him deliberately swerved
off the road onto the shoulder to do so. I'd like to spend ten minutes alone in
a locked room with the driver of that vehicle.

It might be cold comfort since your cat died, but it might have been hit and then moved to the shoulder. I accidently hit a squirrel while driving my moped and i Moved it off the road by a tree to try and give it a chance to live.

Old January 19th 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 16:36:38 -0800 (PST), Matt Ferrari
wrote:

It might be cold comfort since your cat died, but it might have been hit and then moved

That was already suggested by someone else upthread. I mentioned that the
condition of the remains and other clues present on the ground near the body
made it quite evident that he was hit right there on the shoulder where I found
him and had not been moved. I hesitate to go into specific details concerning my
analysis of the, um...crime scene grin because not everyone's stomach will be
receptive to reading such material, but basically, motor vehicles don't usually
leave red tire tracks on dry asphalt, sprinkled with other things that used to
be inside the body of the dearly departed and are now on the outside.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 19th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 1/18/2017 7:22 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:56:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

On 1/18/2017 2:05 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 02:03:28 -0500, John Kasupski wrote:

Oops - sorry! I guess that's what I get for posting at two o'clock in the
morning. That should read, "In a perfect world..."

I knew what you meant. We all do it from time to time, regardless of
what time it is. If you know what I mean.

It's just that once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was a contributing editor
for a nationally circulated magazine, and I was known for turning in what we
referred to as "clean copy" - so I hate letting errors like that slip by me.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Okay... contributing... you're not being graded here. I'm pretty sure
everyone who read the post understood what you meant. Added the word
"world" and understood.

Jill
Old January 19th 17, 05:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John Kasupski

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 21:13:22 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

It's just that once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was a contributing editor
for a nationally circulated magazine, and I was known for turning in what we
referred to as "clean copy" - so I hate letting errors like that slip by me.

Okay... contributing... you're not being graded here. I'm pretty sure
everyone who read the post understood what you meant. Added the word
"world" and understood.

We interrupt this program for a brief look into the thoughts of a man who has
noticed errors of spelling and grammar in Tom Clancy novels.

I grew up before our schools started routinely handing out diplomas to
functional illiterates as they do today. When I look at a newspaper and see the
trash that now makes it into print from people with degrees in journalism that
wouldn't have gotten me promoted out of elementary school in my day...

Look at it this way - how would YOU feel if you just discovered you'd somehow
managed to burn dinner beyond recognition? It's simply a matter of us having
certain expectations that we consider it obligatory for us to live up to. When
we don't live up to them, our inner selves tell us, "Shame on you!"

That said, I'm sure most people's minds filled in the blank. My own mind has
plenty of blanks to spare grin and it did exactly that before I clicked the
"Send Now" button - that's how I failed to catch it. But thank you for letting
me off easy. My editor at the magazine would've been mortifed and probably
would've sent an e-mail to ask if I'd been feeling under the weather lately.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion of preposterously
precious puddytats, already in progress... :-)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Old January 19th 17, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

John Kasupski wrote:

It's just that once upon a time in a galaxy far away I was a contributing
editor for a nationally circulated magazine, and I was known for turning
in what we referred to as "clean copy" - so I hate letting errors like that
slip by me.

I guess once you've been turning out perfect copy as a profession, it's
not an easy habit to break, even when your audience is pretty lenient (as
we are).

I was wondering if you did something related to writing - have you also
written your own material? (Not for that job, necessarily.)

Joyce

--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene
Old January 19th 17, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

She's right. Even I figured that out, and that is not one of my strong
points.

Joyce

Old January 19th 17, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 1/18/2017 8:00 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
[...]

Okay, if you work for a magazine, I can understand your mortification.
That said, it is far easier to proofread something someone else has
written. I, too, notice errors in books I'm reading. However, I have
sent out far more than one email that wasn't correct. A Toastmaster
friend and I have fallen into the habit of proofreading anything the
other one writes for the club website. We've both found errors that
needed to be corrected.