Purring in Buffalo

Old September 11th 04, 10:19 PM
Singh

Default Purring in Buffalo

This morning I awakened before my husband, and thought to leave the
bedroom and quietly do my morning prayers. Being 9/11, I changed the
routing a touch. Like Muslims, Sikhs are to pray five times daily and
have certain ones to be said at certain times. For the innocent who died
three years ago today, the heroes who died fighting or rescuing, the
people of Beslan, and those recently crossed over and their bereaved, I
prayed Kirtan Sohila, the evening prayer which is also the prayer for
the dead; it describes the soul as a bride going forth to unite with her
husband (God/dess) and calls upon the Lord to welcome and bless those
who have crossed. (To explain, In Sikh tradition, the day after the
wedding the bride is brought to her in-laws. She is welcomed and
anointed, and the threshold anointed also with holy oil before she is
allowed to come through.) Second came Anand which means joy or bliss,
for those who have been through tough times, are in grief, that they be
restored and know happiness again. And last the Ardaas, the supplication
which calls for rememberance of God, our spiritual masters, and human
heroes and all who need kindness and mercy, and we ask our Creator to
remember the intentions for which we offered the previous prayers.

There was great peace in the house this morning. Cats know sacred
things. I am convinced that there is something in a cat's nature that
knows and feels things of the spirit, no matter the faith practiced in
the home. Usually the cats are nuts at that time of morning, holding
marathon wrestling and boxing matches, knocking stuff over, etc. But not
today. They sat near me or at my feet with their little paws folded
beneath them, like little yogis, and purred. Louie and I have said for
years that a purr is a prayer, and I am convinced now more than ever.

When I put away the prayer book and blew out the candle, I did some
cleaning and found what may have been a gift from somewhere beyond: a
lovely chunk of amethyst, the kind where the crystals are still growing
from its rock home. I don't know where it came from. The previous owner
of this place didn't do crystals, and usually I buy polished rocks or
large uncut crystal specimens. It is a small piece, sort of triangular,
and has a pretty lavender color to it. I'm befuddled, but thankful, as
if some well-wishing message had come back at me.

The cats went back to wrestling, I went to the gym, showered and went to
the shrink with my Louie. We have the same psychiatrist, ain't marriage
sweet? We're going to karaoke tonight. Kate Smith's rendition of God
Bless America's on the playlist. I'll be up there.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old September 12th 04, 01:10 PM
Bobcat

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you so much for a most fascinating and interesting post. It's
one of the most absorbing I've read in any newsgroup, and it brought
us real insight into facets of Sikh life and worship. I knew about
some aspects of Sikhism because I made a study of it for my work, and
have Sikh friends, but had not known about some things you mentioned.
And your reference to the cats made it relevant to this particular
newsgroup. Thank you again for writing it. (By the way, you share your
name, Baha, with our pharmacist!)
Bobcat in neighbouring Toronto

Old September 13th 04, 01:40 AM
Singh

It was my contribution to the mass-purr for all who needed it. I'm going
to do this more frequently. The peace in the air was beyond description.

Blessed be!
Baha

Purring Mishi Cat anecdotes 12 September 7th 04 11:14 PM
Purring Lovingly Together Bev Cat anecdotes 11 January 5th 04 10:12 PM