I gave away my cats, I'm heartbroken

Old June 2nd 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default I gave away my cats, I'm heartbroken

MaryL wrote:
"223rem" wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be moving from a house in a suburban/semi-rural area to an
apartment in a big metropolis. Now my cats can go out whenever they
want and in fact they spend more time outdoors than indoors. They
love to roam, climb trees, hunt, etc. They'd probably go nuts if
confined in an apartment.

To my surprise, my landlord, who always pets my cats when he rans
into them, offered to take my cats and 'give them a good home' in a
barn on his 50 acre farm. They'll probably become "barn cats"! This
guy is a honorable man, he's proven that many times, so he'll keep
his promise.

Well, I accepted his offer, and now I'm extremely sad... Was I wrong?
What would you have done in my place?

Well, since you asked for opinions, I will give you mine. Yes, I
think you were wrong. I would *never* give up my cats. They are
family, just like children -- and very few people would give up
children. Cats are not disposable objects! Moreover, I have been
through a number of "moving days" when I had to find an apartment
that would accept cats. I had to give up on many apartments that I
really would have liked simply because of adamant "no pets" policies.
I no longer have to worry about that because I own my home, but *my*
policy during the days when I was renting was "accept my cats, or I
look elsewhere." Incidentally, cats adjust *very* well to apartment
living. All you need to do is provide lots of toys, attention,
scratching posts, and a climbing surface (such as a cat tree). Barn
cats usually do not receive the type of attention that you have
probably been giving your cats. They also usually have a shorter
lifespan than indoor cats -- less nutrition, vulnerable to predators,
traffic (even in a rural area), etc. Your landlord may have good
intentions, but do you really think he will monitor their health,
take them to a vet on a regular basis, provide good quality food (and
not take the attitude that they can "catch their own food"), groom
them, give them attention, and all the other little things that you
have probably done without even thinking about it. So, my opinion is
that you should try to retrieve these kitties, take them with you,
and provide the type of indoor space that will give them a healthy
and happy environment without needing to go outdoors. Personally, I
think it will also make *you* happier since you said you are
heartbroken over this decision.

MaryL

This has nothing to do with a gmail block... I blocked 223 a long time ago
because he obviously doesn't give a crap about cats. This just proves it.
He's not heartbroken. It's all about HIM, not about the cats. I hope 223
gets to go live in a barn. Grrrrrr.

Jill

Old June 2nd 07, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
223rem

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I may have use the term barn cats incorrectly; my cats may kill mice,
but they only eat cat food. My landlord knows that. He also mentioned
that the cats will be housed together with his puppies.

Old June 2nd 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 19:30:48 -0700, "jofirey"
yodeled:

"223rem" wrote:

Well, I accepted his offer, and now I'm extremely sad... Was I
wrong? What would you have done in my place?

And I'm reminded why I blocked you in the first place. Just trying to upset
everyone.

Isn't this the guy who posted pics of what his cats killed?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old June 2nd 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"223rem" wrote:

Well, I accepted his offer, and now I'm extremely sad... Was I
wrong? What would you have done in my place?

And I'm reminded why I blocked you in the first place. Just trying to
upset
everyone.

Isn't this the guy who posted pics of what his cats killed?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War

Uh, oh. I missed that (which would have led to an entirely different
reaction on my part). Thanks.

MaryL

Old June 2nd 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:
"223rem" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Jill. I had not picked up on that. I just did a brief google
search and found a message where this person said he *left his cats alone
for four weeks* but they were "fine" when he returned. Another message said
"Should have put the cat in the car with birdie" when someone wrote about a
sparrow getting into the car. Grrrrr is right. Those cats didn't have a
home, they had an occasional place to visit.

MaryL

Old June 2nd 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

223rem wrote:

I will be moving from a house in a suburban/semi-rural area to an
apartment in a big metropolis. Now my cats can go out whenever they
want and in fact they spend more time outdoors than indoors. They love
to roam, climb trees, hunt, etc. They'd probably go nuts if confined
in an apartment.

To my surprise, my landlord, who always pets my cats when he rans into
them, offered to take my cats and 'give them a good home' in a barn on
his 50 acre farm. They'll probably become "barn cats"! This guy is a
honorable man, he's proven that many times, so he'll keep his promise.

Well, I accepted his offer, and now I'm extremely sad... Was I wrong?
What would you have done in my place?

Depends upon how many cats we're talking about! If you have
a lot of them, that may be a better solution than just
taking two or three with you (which is rather like deciding
which of your children to give up). However, My cats have
mostly been indoor/outdoor when they could be. When forced
to become indoor only, they've always adapted very well.
(Except for Melisande's tendency to try to escape whenever I
open the door.)

Remember, a healthy cat sleeps eighteen to twenty hours a
day. If they have food and water available, and plenty of
toys to keep them amused, they really don't have that much
unoccupied time to fill! (And of course, I wouldn't even
CONSIDER an apartment that would not allow cats!)
Old June 2nd 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I may have use the term barn cats incorrectly; my cats may kill mice,
but they only eat cat food. My landlord knows that. He also mentioned
that the cats will be housed together with his puppies.

Oh swell! (I'm sure the cats will be overjoyed!)

Old June 2nd 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MaryL wrote:

Thanks, Jill. I had not picked up on that. I just did a brief google
search and found a message where this person said he *left his cats alone
for four weeks* but they were "fine" when he returned. Another message said
"Should have put the cat in the car with birdie" when someone wrote about a
sparrow getting into the car. Grrrrr is right. Those cats didn't have a
home, they had an occasional place to visit.

In which case, status as barn cats might be a step UP for them!

MaryL

Old June 2nd 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
MaryL wrote:

Thanks, Jill. I had not picked up on that. I just did a brief
google search and found a message where this person said he *left
his cats alone for four weeks* but they were "fine" when he
returned. Another message said "Should have put the cat in the car
with birdie" when someone wrote about a sparrow getting into the
car. Grrrrr is right. Those cats didn't have a home, they had an
occasional place to visit.

In which case, status as barn cats might be a step UP for them!

At least they'll be away from him!

Old June 2nd 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Thank you for keeping me around... (was: I gave away my cats...)

Thanks for not excommunicating from this newsgroup (via killfiling) for
my comments about giving away cats. OK, so everyone ignored my post, but
at least I'm still included in other discussions!

On second reading, I can see why people are upset about cats being given
away to someone who will keep them as barn cats. I think that if you must
give away your cats, then you need to be responsible about it and find
them a good home where they will be loved and well cared-for. This doesn't
sound like a great situation for them, I have to agree.

I do think that giving away your pets is something you should try to
avoid if at all possible. But sometimes it can't be avoided, and I don't
think that's "wrong". I do feel quite strongly that there are situations
where it is actually better for the animals to be rehomed to stable and
loving people, if you can no longer provide that for them.

I personally am not considering re-homing any of my cats, in case
anyone was wondering! If Smudge and Licky were regularly drawing blood
from each other, and making life miserable for each other and the rest
of us - and if I'd tried everything to change the situation and nothing
worked - I might have to seek a new home for one of them. But I'm not
even close to that point, and never have been.

Which reminds me, the Feliway seems to be working nicely on the general
atmosphere around here. No, there's no cuddling and grooming going on
between the sworn enemies, but the growling and hissing is greatly
reduced, I haven't heard any actual fights at all, and I'm no longer
waking up to find tufts of Smudge fur strewn on the living room rug. So,
a definite improvement!

Joyce