Spinal Injury (long)

Old March 30th 08, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Spinal Injury (long)

I'm a first time poster, but a long time reader of this group. I was
hoping to know what you all think about this situation.

Galt, my year and a half year old rescue cat, has occasionally fallen
off my entertainment center (as she looks out the window). She has
always been fine, except this last time. A few hours after she fell I
noticed she was sleeping in a strange place (this was Wednesday
night). I shook her treat bin to have her come (which usually results
in her RUNNING to get treats), but this time she hobbled out after a
few minutes. I thought she had probably just bruised herself because
she didn't cry when I touched her all over, so I assumed nothing was
broken. She went to sleep and so did I, but the next morning she
wouldn't walk at all, so we went to the vet. Just to note: she was
capable of moving her legs, and put her feet under her, but she
couldn't stand up. They took x-rays, and nothing seemed broken. They
assumed the same thing I did. She was just bruised.

So they kept her (this was Thursday morning), and wanted to give her
anti-inflammatories. As of Friday evening, she hadn't eaten, and they
bumped up the strength of the anti-inflammatories.

This morning the vet had to force feed her a high protein solution
because she still wasn't eating. I went to visit, and she tried to
get up when she saw me. Though she could get her feet under her, she
couldn't stand up. I got her to eat a couple of treats and a few bits
of her kibble (Eukanuba). I asked the vet if we should be running any
other tests, and she said we could if I wanted to, but that she really
thought it was just a spinal injury that would take time to heal.

I really trust this vet. But I'm out of my mind with worry. I will
talk to the vet in the morning. Should I ask for more tests? I hate
to think how much this will cost, but at this point I don't care. I
just want my baby back. Please give all your purrs and head-bunts to
Galt, I think she needs them. And any advice you can to me because I
know I need it.

Thanks,
Ginni
Old March 30th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Sounds like it may be a spinal injury that will take some time to heal.
Especially on an older animal. I'm not sure what other tests you would want
to run. The only other ones I can think of would be an MRI or a myelogram,
both which are expensive and I'm not sure at this point you would want to
put Galt through this.

I had a cat (who I love dearly) who had a spinal compression probably caused
by arthritis in his spine. We did the myelogram and he had back surgery to
correct the problem. He was never 100% after the surgery, but he did okay
and survived another 3 years (he was 13 at the time of the surgery). I
don't regret for a minute of doing the surgery.

If you trust your vet, I would just wait and see if the current course of
treatment helps. Or you could consult with an orthopedic surgeon or a
neurologist. That would be the next step I would suggest if Galt does not
improve. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck. I hope Galt is feeling better soon. Keep us posted.

S.
---

Old March 30th 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ginni

Thanks! I will keep those in mind. Galt isn't old, only a year and a
half so I'm thinking it is not related to arthritis. After her X-
rays, the vet noted that all of the vertebrae spacing looked normal,
so I'm not sure it's a spinal compression either. Also, I just spoke
with the vet, Galt is still not walking, but she is eating again
(thankfully). The vet said she is now sitting in the "doorstop"
position more, and less on her sides, so I"m hoping this is a good
thing. Could bruising or a pinched nerve last this long?
Old March 30th 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Sorry, Ginni, I misread your first post and missed the 1 1/2 year part and
only saw "old" so I assumed Galt was an old rescue. I'm no expert, but I
think a bruise or a pinched nerve could last this long (if I read correctly,
it's been less than a week). Also, sounds like Galt is improving (eating is
always a good sign). I think I would stay the course, see if Galt improves
more. I know that is hard to do when it's your furbaby involved.

S.
---

Old March 30th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ginni

Thank you, blkcatgal. I know I can trust the vet when she says it
will just take time. I just wanted reassurance from other cat owners
who are really devoted.

If anyone else has dealt with bruising or pinched nerves, could you
let me know how long it took for improvement?

I will keep posting on her progress, and try to remain calm and
patient.
Old March 30th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Ginni" wrote in message
Thanks! I will keep those in mind. Galt isn't old, only a year and a
half so I'm thinking it is not related to arthritis. After her X-
rays, the vet noted that all of the vertebrae spacing looked normal,
so I'm not sure it's a spinal compression either. Also, I just spoke
with the vet, Galt is still not walking, but she is eating again
(thankfully). The vet said she is now sitting in the "doorstop"
position more, and less on her sides, so I"m hoping this is a good
thing. Could bruising or a pinched nerve last this long?

You bet. Soft tissue injuries, in all creatures, can hurt for a long time.
Ever sprained anything? It takes forever for it to stop hurting. As for
a pinched nerve, same thing.

Hope she is better soon, and that it is not serious.

Old March 31st 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ginni

OK so I just got back from the vet while seeing Galt. She took two
steps while I was there! I'm thrilled. It looked like it was
difficult and possibly painful, but I'm so proud of her. She even
used the litter box to urinate today. (Before, she had too much
trouble squatting, so didn't make it in the box.)

And now we have another problem. She didn't eat from Wednesday
evening until Saturday morning. It's now Monday, and she has been
eating for 3 days. She hasn't had a bowel movement since Wednesday
morning. Now I think she's constipated. The vet said she might not
have enough food in her tract to have a bowel movement. I think she
does, but maybe it's too painful to squat in that position for too
long. The vet is going to feel her today and decide if she needs and
enema (poor thing!). Is 5 days long enough to constipate a cat, even
if she hasn't eaten the whole time? Is an enema the next step, or
will she have a movement on her own?

I'm so proud of her! I'm just upset that it seems like one step
forward results in two steps back.
Old March 31st 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

And now we have another problem. *She didn't eat from Wednesday
evening until Saturday morning. *It's now Monday, and she has been
eating for 3 days. *She hasn't had a bowel movement since Wednesday
morning. *Now I think she's constipated. *The vet said she might not
have enough food in her tract to have a bowel movement. *I think she
does, but maybe it's too painful to squat in that position for too
long. *The vet is going to feel her today and decide if she needs and
enema (poor thing!). *Is 5 days long enough to constipate a cat, even
if she hasn't eaten the whole time? *Is an enema the next step, or
will she have a movement on her own?

I would have to agree with your vet. From what you've written, it
doesn't sound like she's eaten enough to have a BM. However, it can't
hurt to have the vet check her. It's also possible that her colon is
slow and she might need an enema. I would take a couple of old towels
along with you--if she gets an enema, she will most likely soil
herself and her carrier on the way home. :-(
Old March 31st 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ginni

Actually she is still at the vet. The prefer me not to bring her home
until is is walking (check-kinda) and having movements (no check). So
she has been at the vet since Wednesday. The only reason I think she
is constipated is because she's a very little kitty (about 8 pounds)
and when I saw her today she looked to be a little bloated.
Old March 31st 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On Mar 31, 1:29*pm, Ginni wrote:
Actually she is still at the vet. *The prefer me not to bring her home
until is is walking (check-kinda) and having movements (no check). *So
she has been at the vet since Wednesday. *The only reason I think she
is constipated is because she's a very little kitty (about 8 pounds)
and when I saw her today she looked to be a little bloated.

I'm sorry she is still at the vets. It could be possible that she's
very anxious and is uncomfortable "going" there. One of my cats had an
extended stay (10 days) at the vet's office. Toward the end, he would
hold in his urine until my visits and then pee like crazy when I was
there. Can you spend a little time with here at the vets office,
perhaps in a quiet room with a litterbox, to see if she will eliminate
for you? Also, since she's having trouble walking, can they give her a
very low-sided box or even cut a side away so she can get in and out
easily?