Let it snow!

Old February 4th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Let it snow!

Where I come from it is called Hash and is usually all the stuff left over
from a pot roast. You can add other veggies if needed. I love the name.
"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
wafflycat wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message

I've heard the name, but what is bubble and squesk?
MLB

It's fried-up left over veggies from the previous meal, so exact
contents variable in proportion and items. In my case, this
particular bubble & squeak comprised potato, celeriac, onion, carrot,
parsnip, cabbage, garlic, peas...

Personally I love Brussel Sprouts in my bubble and squeak. :-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

See in Florida they call that redneck stew all you need is the road kill
possum or squirrel is the best ;-)

Old February 5th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Granby wrote:
Where I come from it is called Hash and is usually all the stuff left over
from a pot roast. You can add other veggies if needed. I love the name.

Here it's called pytt-i-panna (Swedish) or pyttipannu (Finnish).

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.
Old February 5th 09, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Adrian wrote:
wafflycat wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
wafflycat wrote:
"MLB" wrote in message

I've heard the name, but what is bubble and squesk?
MLB
It's fried-up left over veggies from the previous meal, so exact
contents variable in proportion and items. In my case, this
particular bubble & squeak comprised potato, celeriac, onion,
carrot, parsnip, cabbage, garlic, peas...
Personally I love Brussel Sprouts in my bubble and squeak. :-)

I just love brussels sprouts. But I feel sorry for Vernon a few hours
later... ;¬Þ

That's funny, I saw a reply to your message before it showed up on my
server.

Yesterday I had an answer show uo and the original message came a few
hours later.

As for Bubble and Squeek, it sounds like what we call Stirfry here in
USA. I'm no cook, so I microwave it instead of frying it. MLB
Old February 7th 09, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

m...

wafflycat wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message

I've heard the name, but what is bubble and squesk?
MLB

It's fried-up left over veggies from the previous meal, so exact contents
variable in proportion and items. In my case, this particular bubble &
squeak comprised potato, celeriac, onion, carrot, parsnip, cabbage,
garlic, peas...

And non-English claim British food is unimaginative! Actually, a nation
that can produce Shepherd's Pie, Yorkshire Pudding, Toad-in-the-hole and
Trifle deserves SOME credit! (Not to mention Wassail and Plum Pudding at
holiday time.)

In recent years there has been a resurgance in British cooking where, at
long last, we are getting some pride in our own classics, our regional
specialities. British cuisine is just as interesting and varied as French,
Italian... What we are good at is acknowledging that other cuisines can be
brilliant. But we have, I think, done our own cuisine a disservice in the
process, by forgetting just how good it can be.

Tomorrow, I'm doing a Geordie speciality, as that's the part of the world I
grew up in. I've got a ham to cook. It will be boiled with onion, celery,
carrot, bayleaf, thyme, pepper. Once done, the skin is removed from the ham
and then the joint is smothered in a mix of honey & mustard and roasted off
in the oven. The stock from the initial cooking is used to form the basis of
a delicious soup and also to form the basis of pease pudding, where it is
mixed with yellow slpit peas, garlic, bay and butter and left to cook slowly
in the bottom of the oven. The split peas absorb the stock & butter to form
a *delicious* spread that is *magnificent* with ham... A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Old February 7th 09, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 7, 3:29*am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Pease pudding is as far as I know a Cockney dish- brill with saveloy
or faggots. Most Cockney food is great- I love pie.n.mash with
liquor but jellied eels I've never had- the sight and smell alone puts
me off!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 7th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 7, 11:39*am, hopitus wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_Pudding_Hot

There you are

Old February 7th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 3:29 am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Pease pudding is as far as I know a Cockney dish- brill with saveloy
or faggots. Most Cockney food is great- I love pie.n.mash with
liquor but jellied eels I've never had- the sight and smell alone puts
me off!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Definitely a Northern dish...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_pudding

Mind, that picture they show of pease pudding with smoked haddock bears this
much resemblance to what pease pudding is really like: none at all!

Old February 7th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 7, 12:10*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:

Maybe Northern and Cockney pease puddings are an example of culinary
paralell evolution!

I have a feeling looking back over your recipie (sounds lovely by the
way- invite me to dinner sometime why don't you?) that they are two
different dishes I don't recall bay leaves and things like that in our
pease pudding.

Old February 7th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 7, 3:29 am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Pease pudding is as far as I know a Cockney dish- brill with saveloy
or faggots.

What are "faggots"? One of my music newsgroups twisted a
troll-initiated flame war (involving another use of the term) into a
culinary discussion, but they never defined the food item, so I was
completely in the dark!
Old February 7th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 7, 3:29 am, "wafflycat"
wrote:

A true Geordie dish:
ham & pease pudding... YUM.

Pease pudding is as far as I know a Cockney dish- brill with saveloy
or faggots.

What are "faggots"? One of my music newsgroups twisted a troll-initiated
flame war (involving another use of the term) into a culinary discussion,
but they never defined the food item, so I was completely in the dark!

Faggots in the food sense are made from offal minced up, lumped together
with herbs and served with gravy.

Example:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...rav_3899.shtml

Faggots is another word for small bundles of sticks/straw to use in
fire-making.

Then there's the less than endearing term for a gay man, which is not nice
to use. There's also 'fag' which is a slang term for a cigarette, or the
term used in public (private) education where a younger boy performs chores
for an older boy as an unpaid servant

Snow Marina Cat anecdotes 5 January 29th 07 05:34 AM
Ot le tit snow let it snow at least frost NMR Cat anecdotes 27 January 10th 06 04:27 PM
Snow Stormin Mormon Cat anecdotes 21 January 28th 05 06:33 AM
No Snow! No Snow! No Snow! Pat Cat anecdotes 9 December 26th 04 03:39 AM
SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!!SNOW!!!!! Magic Mood Jeep© Cat anecdotes 27 December 24th 04 06:32 PM