Boy cats vs girl cats

Old June 20th 13, 01:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Boy cats vs girl cats

On 6/12/2013 3:28 AM, Bastette wrote:

I've always had a soft spot for girlkitties. Not that all girls are the
same, but there's a certain girly kind of sweetness that I don't see in
many boy cats, not to say that they're not affectionate. They do seem to
have a different style.

Bonnie was my first girlcat other than Fluffy, our kitty when I was a
kid. She lived to the ripe old age of 23, I swear just to **** off my
dad. My dad was never a cat person, in fact, he disliked them very
much. But Fluffy persisted, long after all of us "kids" moved away from
home. Then there's Scarlett. I used to think Scarlett was a gentle
cat; affectionate and loving. Until recently. She is the one that
drives me crazy in the morning trying to wake me up for breakfast.
She'll crawl on me, rub her whiskers on my face and generally make a
pest of herself until I get up and fix breakfast. Then she heads to a
sunny spot to spend the majority of the day. But she's very funny, too.
She'll pick fights with Shamrock and they take turns chasing each
other around the house. And she's very quick to hiss at Rhett and
Shamrock, both. She puts them in their place quite often.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old June 20th 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
I've asked this question before a few years ago, but what do you
think are the differences between boycats and girlcats?

I think ladies tend to settle down to spending most of their time
indoors at an earlier age than guys do. The oldest male we've had
was Ishmael and he kept going outside to do what a man's gotta do
until a few weeks before he died.

For ours, it seems like the blokes tended to be one-human cats more
than the girls.

But you never get your cats neutered and spayed, do you?

c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Old June 22nd 13, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:32:44 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
.. .
That's both fascinating and cute that Pickles's personality changes when
she gets her do.

I think so too. It's also interesting because she is really quite pretty
after her cut. Before, it's a different story. Because she won't let me
brush her, the only thing about her that is pretty then is her face. If she
were a human, I'd say knowing she looks better improves her self confidence.
However, I suspect that would be carrying anthromorphization a bit far. ;-)

I think she looks magnificent, like a thundercloud, or a feral sheep, but
she's especially pretty when she gets a haircut.
Old June 22nd 13, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 08:27:57 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
On 6/9/2013 9:38 PM, Takayuki wrote:
I've asked this question before a few years ago, but what do you think are
the differences between boycats and girlcats?

I've only had one boy - Buster. He's probably the funniest cat I've ever
had. Oh, he thinks he's completely serious about the business of being a
cat, and he always has a busy itinerary. But he's also more self-absorbed
and impulsive than any other cat I've had, which makes him seem a bit
goofy. Sticking his head into empty cereal boxes, sliding backwards off my
lap, and taking rides in the laundry basket.

The girls I've had were more self-conscious. Betty was polite and clingy.
Dot is demanding and clingy. And Spicey keeps everyone expertly at arm's
length.

Buster sounds like one heck of a character! Sort of like Shamrock.
So in that way the boys do seem goofier.

Is Shamrock like that too?

The findings in that BBC Horizon show confirmed some things for me - they
found that boy cats roam further than the girl cats. I think the boys have
a restless aspect to them that manifests in extraneous and amusing
behavior.
Old June 23rd 13, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Takayuki" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 21:32:44 -0700, "Joy" wrote:
"Takayuki" wrote in message
. ..
That's both fascinating and cute that Pickles's personality changes when
she gets her do.

I think so too. It's also interesting because she is really quite pretty
after her cut. Before, it's a different story. Because she won't let me
brush her, the only thing about her that is pretty then is her face. If
she
were a human, I'd say knowing she looks better improves her self
confidence.
However, I suspect that would be carrying anthromorphization a bit far.
;-)

I think she looks magnificent, like a thundercloud, or a feral sheep, but
she's especially pretty when she gets a haircut.

Hmm, now I know I'm not getting all the posts as I haven't seen the one from
Joy that mentions Pickles hairdo.

However, I would like to mention re Pickles feeling better afterwards, that
when I was younger, as well as my Monday-Friday job, I took a Saturday &
Sunday job to save up to buy a horse.
It was in a poodle parlour, although we did all dogs. I can't say most of
them enjoyed the experience but after it was all over, they seemed to know
how lovely they looked and even the owners said how much more cheerful their
dogs were afterwards.

I really enjoyed that job. Wouldn't fancy doing a cat, though..

Tweed

Old June 25th 13, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 20:53:59 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Hmm, now I know I'm not getting all the posts as I haven't seen the one from
Joy that mentions Pickles hairdo.

However, I would like to mention re Pickles feeling better afterwards, that
when I was younger, as well as my Monday-Friday job, I took a Saturday &
Sunday job to save up to buy a horse.
It was in a poodle parlour, although we did all dogs. I can't say most of
them enjoyed the experience but after it was all over, they seemed to know
how lovely they looked and even the owners said how much more cheerful their
dogs were afterwards.

I really enjoyed that job. Wouldn't fancy doing a cat, though..

I've never heard of someone getting a job in order to save money to buy a
horse.

It makes sense though when I think about it. After all, all those British
people who play polo or go hunting must've saved up working somewhere in
order to acquire their horses.
Old July 8th 13, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

Licky is the comedian - although
I doubt he'd see it that way. He's just quirky. In the evening, he stalks
around the house yowling, eventually diving under the throw rug and
emerging out the other side - just his head (and sometimes not his whole
head). If I say his name, he looks at me with huge wackadoodle eyes that
gleam in the light.

Our Ollie does the same, except he doesn't some out the other side -
you just see a bump under the bathroom mat. And we have a very similar
mat to you - in the UK those were sold by Habitat for years.

I got the rug at an import store. Roxy used to hide under the rug the way
Ollie does it - although usually with an opening that she could look out
of. And then she'd lie in wait until another cat (Smudge, usually) to walk
close by, and she'd shoot out like a cannonball and land on top of the
unsuspecting cat. But Smudge soon learned to avoid the lump under the rug,
and so Roxy would have to wait a LONG time, sometimes a couple of hours.
I'm pretty sure she would just fall asleep under there.

--
Joyce

I prefer to live with Feline Sapiens, thank you very much.
Old July 15th 13, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
Hmm, now I know I'm not getting all the posts as I haven't seen the one
from
Joy that mentions Pickles hairdo.

However, I would like to mention re Pickles feeling better afterwards,
that
when I was younger, as well as my Monday-Friday job, I took a Saturday &
Sunday job to save up to buy a horse.
It was in a poodle parlour, although we did all dogs. I can't say most of
them enjoyed the experience but after it was all over, they seemed to know
how lovely they looked and even the owners said how much more cheerful
their
dogs were afterwards.

I really enjoyed that job. Wouldn't fancy doing a cat, though..

I've never heard of someone getting a job in order to save money to buy a
horse.

Well, there was no chance of me getting one otherwise.

It makes sense though when I think about it. After all, all those British
people who play polo or go hunting must've saved up working somewhere in
order to acquire their horses.

Not quite the same, they are probably rich and I wasn't.
I could only afford a young one, which was not broken in to ride so I had to
do that myself. Kind of dangerous and exciting at the same time.
Luckily I'd been riding since I was 8 and only fell off her 3 times in the
process.

Tweed
horse wrangler

Old August 18th 13, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

When I was a child I wanted a horse but my parents said no even though I
said it could live in the coal shed.

Judith

LOL! I'm looking back on posts. I was determined to have a horse myself,
but no way my mother could make that happen,
so I did it myself.
It was kind of exciting breaking her in myself and I didn't get many
injuries. We had some happy years once she understood I intended to ride
her no matter what, although at first she disagreed.
She had this trick, she would wait until we were cantering and then she'd
drop her shoulder which almost always threw me off.
Eventually we came to an agreement. I will feed and look after you and you
will let me ride you. She said OK (in the end)

I suppose no horse that came from the Welsh Mountains totally free there,
taken to a market to be sold, gets to me eventually, ever wants to be
ridden, they are totally wild, and she was.
She was all I could afford.

She was a Welsh Cob and every traveller that I rode her past begged to buy
her.

I was riding her not too long after she'd had a foal and the traveller
shouted out "I'll give you (a whole lot) of money for her foal"

He'd noticed that she had milk.

I said NO. Not in a million years and that was respected.
Nowadays it would probably not be, she'd get stolen.

Old August 18th 13, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~
My grandfather gave me my first Shetland pony when I was four years old.
When my brother and sister got old enough, I realized she was really "ours"
and not just "mine." We rode bareback and did not have lessons. When I was
in high school, we got a horse. He was about a year old, and he had the
most marvelous canter--so smooth. He was half Arabian and half quarter
horse. We did have a saddle for him, so I sometimes rode him bareback and
sometime with a saddle. My mother kept a picture of me in her room in the
nursing home. People used to stop and stare for a minute because I was
riding him without a saddle or bridle. Of course, I only did that when we
were within the pasture because I would not have had any control if he
became frightened and began to run. He jumped the fence, unknown to us, and
then we had a foal from him and our pony. After that, we did not try to
keep them separate, and we had one more foal after that. They were
wonderful! We used to ride a school bus to school. When we got off the bus
in the evening, the horse and ponies would un to the fence and call to us.
We also had a collie (the "Lassie" type), and she would greet us as soon as
we crossed the road and stepped onto our property. She was beautifully
trained and would never chase cars or step on the road.

MaryL