Duffy Has a New Companion (LONG)

Old August 9th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Default Duffy Has a New Companion (LONG)

I had not intended to adopt another cat this soon. I was still mourning the
loss of Holly and would get a lump in my throat when I wandered around the
house and looked at her favorite places–and there were many of them.
However, I decided that Duffy needs a companion. He was crying and looking
for Holly, and he has been even closer to me than usual. It will be good
for me to have a new feline friend, too. I know from past experience that a
new kitty in the house will help to ease my broken heart. We can never
"replace" one of our furbabies. We never forget them and would not want to,
but it helps to add a new member of the family to care for and love. So, I
contacted a friend who is president of a local group that rescues kitties,
places them in foster homes, and has been very successful in finding new
forever homes for them. She put me in contact with one of her foster moms
who has about a dozen rescue cats. I spent a couple of hours talking to her
and interacting with a variety of cats. The end result is that I came home
with a new kitty. Her name is Selina, and she is ensconced in the guest
bedroom with food, water, litter box and a variety of toys.

Selina spent the first night under the bed, and I could see in the morning
that she had been under the bed all night. Her toys were still in the same
place, and she had not eaten or used the litter box. I know this often
happens with new kitties, so I just sat down and started talking to her.
Soon, I heard her little voice. She did not come out from under the bed, so
I finally decided to lie on the floor and lift the bed skirts so I could see
her and she could also see my face. I knew this was going to be hard on me
because I have had a great deal of difficulty lifting myself off the floor
due to my lower back problems, but I felt I needed to get down on her level.
Well, Selina was obviously not scared. She came right to me and let me pet
her by reaching under the bed. Gradually, she came completely out from
under the bed and started gently rolling around and rubbing against my hand.
Then, wonder of wonders, I did not have any difficulty standing up!! The
exercises I was given for my back in physical therapy have really helped. I
got Selina's food and put it in front of her. She immediately ate some,
then went to the litter box and used that. So, that was a very good morning
for the first day.

Today is the second day, and Selina seems to be settling in nicely. She
stayed under the bed until early yesterday evening. However, she was out
and wandering around when I took her evening meal in to her. She was eager
for attention--and she got it. She rubbed all over me as I petted her.
After a lot of that, I got out the peacock feather and she played with that,
then shifted her attention to some of the other toys. Eventually, she
decided to have a snack, then used the litter box and rested on the little
catnip-filled "boogie mat." Duffy appeared outside the door, and the two of
them played "footsie" under the door for a few minutes. She was not
frightened at all--just interested. So, I think that was another very good
day. I sat in the chair and read while she alternated between rubbing on my
feet and wandering around the room. There was more of the same this morning
when she rubbed all around my feet and legs while I talked to her and petted
her.

She seems like a sweet little kitty, and I think this will work well for
both Duffy and me. I am leaving her in "her" new bedroom with the music
playing when I am not with her. I hope the introduction to Duffy will go
smoothly when I get to that stage.

Selina's fur coat looks like it is similar in color to Jill's Persia. It is
somewhat the color of a Russian blue, but more gray than blue. Her fur is
very soft and medium length, although her tail is thin–not the type of bushy
tail seen on both Holly and Duffy. Her eyes sometimes look yellow and
sometimes pale green. Her foster mom gave me two little bags of the dry
food she had been using, and I expected it to take some time for her to
acclimate to the canned food I use (Wellness no-grains). Instead, she
headed right for the Wellness and shows a distinct preference for that
instead of her dry food. I did keep both types out for the first couple of
days so there would not be any digestive problems with a rapid change.

Selina was pregnant and very hungry when she was found foraging in a parking
lot. Her kittens have all been adopted, and Selina has been spayed and
microchipped. She received all her shots and tested free of any diseases.
The president of the rescue group told me that she loves Selina and could
not understand why she had not been adopted. Now, she said, she knows
why–she said Selina was "destined to go home to Duffy and me." That gave me
a warm feeling in my heart.

This has been an overly-long message, but I know she will find many friends
in this group and I wanted you to have a good introduction. Interestingly,
I adopted her on August 7. That is my sister's birthday, so now I will also
think of that as Selina's birthday and they will have a shared "special
day."

--
MaryL and Duffy

Old August 9th 13, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Friday, 9 August 2013 22:08:36 UTC+1, MaryL wrote:
I had not intended to adopt another cat this soon.

We never do do we?

But like a friend of mine who does English bull terrier rescue who had a nightmare of a time when she lost her old dog to lymphoma round about the same time she lost her brother to the same the she rescued another dog who also died of lympoma after she had him just 3 months so she selected her next rescue a much younger dog who had to be put to sleep just 6 weeks later because of the same...

Someone said to her "You won't want another dog after that"

She said "Oh I'll get another one eventually I'd like a break then again if they called me with a dog in need of a home when I have room and I said No because I put my needs before that dogs need and a healthy dog got put to sleep because I was selfish enough to put what I needed before what the dog needed..I couldn't live with myself"

Selina sounds lovely ,, she needed a home she now has a good one we await stories

(btw the next dog my friend took in just a week after she lost the last one had been seriously maltreated and was scared and agressive and no one wanted him he's now a perfect gentleman of a dog)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 9th 13, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/9/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

Oh, I'm so glad you've adopted a companion for yourself and Duffy! I
hope the introduction goes well. I was wondering yesterday how Duffy
was doing since Holly is gone. Selina sounds like she'll be a good fit.
I certainly hope so. Please keep us updated.

Jill (still purring for your broken heart)
Old August 10th 13, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:08:36 -0500, MaryL wrote:

[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Congratulations and very best wishes for you, Selina and Duffy to have a
happy life together.
When my Princess left for the Bridge, I spent one month without her and I
could hardly stand it. I remember an old saying: "A pet makes a house a
home".
When you have time, I'd love to see a picture of her and if possible one
with Duffy. Holly will never be forgotten. Best wishes always. MLB
Old August 10th 13, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 8/9/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:

This has been an overly-long message, but I know she will find many
friends in this group and I wanted you to have a good introduction.
Interestingly, I adopted her on August 7. That is my sister's birthday,
so now I will also think of that as Selina's birthday and they will have
a shared "special day."

Congratulations! I wish you and the kitties a smooth transition!
Playing footsie under the door with Duffy is a very good sign so
quickly.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old August 10th 13, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 8/9/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on the new owner. You are right we never forget the
kitties we have loved.

Ann
Old August 10th 13, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Wonderful news, Mary. I'm sure Selina will bring you & Duffy as
much love and joy as Holly did. Bast bless.

Lily & her mama

Irulan
from the stars we come
to the stars we return
from now until the end of time.

Old August 10th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
[...]

That's fantastic news, hope to hear a lot more about Selina.

Tweed

Old August 13th 13, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 00:12:37 -0400, Cheryl
wrote:

On 8/9/2013 5:08 PM, MaryL wrote:

This has been an overly-long message, but I know she will find many
friends in this group and I wanted you to have a good introduction.
Interestingly, I adopted her on August 7. That is my sister's birthday,
so now I will also think of that as Selina's birthday and they will have
a shared "special day."

Congratulations! I wish you and the kitties a smooth transition!
Playing footsie under the door with Duffy is a very good sign so
quickly.

Sounds like a winner! I look forward to more tales.
Old August 20th 13, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Lesley wrote:

[...]

Thank god! A happy story, finally! Your poor friend, she really deserved to
have a good experience after all that.

--
Joyce

If you can't operate your turn signal, what makes you think you can
drive the rest of the car? -- bumper sticker