Looks like I Have Another Cat

Old July 30th 13, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

Default Looks like I Have Another Cat

On 7/29/2013 9:47 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Progress, sure. But unless you spend time with her it seems to me
she'll bond more with your housekeeper.

Anything we can do to get her used to people is OK by me. If I start
out in second place, it's a resolvable situation.

Spending her life huddled under furniture is not acceptable for the poor
kitty.

So far none of the other cats have really done more than stare, so it
doesn't look like an impending war. That would really complicate things.

Art

Old July 30th 13, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 7/29/2013 10:33 PM, MLB wrote:

Her coloring and face are beautiful. Watch those scratches especially
the one that is swollen -- does it feel hot? If so, see your doctor
whether you like it or not.

No, nothing dire like that - and I'm frankly surprised. The bites on my
hand were astoundingly deep. Even the worst of the heavy clawing
injuries have shown no sign of getting infected after more than two days.

I still remember when we took in Giovanni, and he put both my wife and
Watermelon Man in emergency care. He's settled down nicely, especially
in the last year. With luck this girl will similarly become a fine pet.

Art

Old July 30th 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:12:25 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++\
How are your wounds today? I hope you got medical help because cat deep
scratches are dangerous (from the voice of experience).

I try to avoid doctors except as a last resort. I think we'll live.

My upper left arm is a bit swollen, but not quite enough to show off at
Muscle Beach in Venice or to audition for the title role in the next
Popeye movie. The other wounds are OK, and the area between the thumb
and forefinger where I got savagely bitten is finally getting a little
better. It's amazing how much one uses that area in daily life; even
such stupid things as twisting a doorknob or cranking my manual coffee
grinder at work were quite painful today.

She spent an absolutely traumatic Sunday and start of Monday cowering
under the sofa or deep under my desk. Today, my housekeeper got down
under the desk and reached over to give her some affection. Within a
few minutes the kitty was loudly purring! After about a half hour my
housekeeper pulled her out, held her for a few minutes, and then sat
down. The cat seemed to enjoy the affection. I took the chair and the
cat, and she stayed with me for about ten minutes without struggling
before deciding to jump down and leave.

She ended up under the desk, and meanwhile my housekeeper ran down to
PetSmart and got some sort of collar that is supposed to calm down cats,
plus a tube of something called GNC Ultra Mega Relax Premium Formula
Gel. She actually got the collar around the cat, loosely, and had the
kitty lick quite a bit of the gel. I just went down there before typing
this, and while she wasn't purring she didn't seem to mind having her
head rubbed.

I took one picture while my housekeeper was holding the cat, and it
isn't very good because the cat isn't looking up at that moment. But at
least you can see, in general, what she looks like. I'll keep this up
for a handful of weeks: http://www.ocrebels.com/VLO.jpg

So maybe we're making some progress.

Art

That is a pretty cat.
Old July 30th 13, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

I took one picture while my housekeeper was holding the cat, and it
isn't very good because the cat isn't looking up at that moment. But at
least you can see, in general, what she looks like. I'll keep this up
for a handful of weeks: http://www.ocrebels.com/VLO.jpg

You can also see a scratch on each of your housekeeper's knees.

I think she's entitled to Kevlar overalls.

Old July 31st 13, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 7/30/2013 1:20 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

She seems to be settling now and trusting both of you. Nice one.

Alas not. She was under the living room couch this morning, and that's
where I pushed the morning's food bowl. She was still there when I got
home for work, and at least the food had been eaten.

My housekeeper just arrived and I lifted the couch, whereupon kitty ran
back to under the desk in this computer room. My housekeeper is now
stretched out under the desk, trying to give her some arm's-length
affection.

This is one tough situation.

Art

Old July 31st 13, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/30/2013 1:58 AM, Art Shapiro wrote:

No, nothing dire like that - and I'm frankly surprised. The bites on my
hand were astoundingly deep. Even the worst of the heavy clawing
injuries have shown no sign of getting infected after more than two days.

I still remember when we took in Giovanni, and he put both my wife and
Watermelon Man in emergency care. He's settled down nicely, especially
in the last year. With luck this girl will similarly become a fine pet.

I have been having success with just establishing boundaries with the
new cat and the rest. Surprisingly it can be done. I let Sam know that
the back bedroom is his safe place. I don't shut the door now after the
first 24 hours, but he and everyone else have accepted it is his safe
place. It doesn't keep out the others, but they mostly just sit in the
hallway and look in when he comes out. They only come in when I'm in
with him. It's only been 2 days so he spends a lot of time under the
bed. I just have to remember that even when I moved into this house
with 2 cats I had had for years, they still hid in a new environment.
This kitty needs to not only adjust to a new home, but a new mommy and
new brothers and sisters. I think under the circumstances he is doing
very well.

I wish the same for you. The biting I'm sure is just out of fear.
Purrs she calms down.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 31st 13, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/30/2013 9:33 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:
On 7/30/2013 1:20 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

She seems to be settling now and trusting both of you. Nice one.

Alas not. She was under the living room couch this morning, and that's
where I pushed the morning's food bowl. She was still there when I got
home for work, and at least the food had been eaten.

My housekeeper just arrived and I lifted the couch, whereupon kitty ran
back to under the desk in this computer room. My housekeeper is now
stretched out under the desk, trying to give her some arm's-length
affection.

This is one tough situation.

Art

Give her space and time.

Jill
Old July 31st 13, 03:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 7/30/2013 6:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Give her space and time.

My housekeeper managed to gently pull her out, and handed the cat to me,
sitting here at the computer. She stayed on my lap without any
resistance for more than fifteen minutes, purring steadily (scared?
happy?) before asking to jump back down. Meanwhile, Niobe jumped onto
an adjacent box and went nose-to-nose with her, with absolutely no
reaction from the new cat or hostility from Niobe.

Anyway, 15 minutes without a struggle is fine with me. She didn't seem
to like the wire brush, so I just kept my hands constantly moving on her.

She then went under the desk, but this time under the open portion
rather than under the close-to-the-floor drawers. She's there right
now, completely downing a bowl of food as I type.

Clearly this is not going to be an easy case, but at least she's not
going to starve. I'm not trying to bore everyone, of course; this is
somewhat tougher than most new-kitty situations I've had.

Art

Old July 31st 13, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/30/2013 10:08 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:
[...]

There are different types of purrs. Distressed, content, sleepy, happy...

I wouldn't try to get her out from under anything if she feels more
comfortable hiding. She's eating. Is she using a litterbox?

I'll admit I've never integrated a cat with other cats. But it seems
like just letting her explore on her own terms might work better.

I sure wouldn't be trying to brush her so soon. But that's just mee.

Jill
Old July 31st 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:08:34 -0700, Art Shapiro wrote:

[...]

IMHO cat lovers find this interesting! I've haven't had any experience
introducing stray animals to others -- have had only single adoptions.
I helped a neighbor at one time adopt a rescue. That cat spent the first
two weeks hiding in her new home. After that, she was fine.
Have you considered a name as yet?
How are your wounds tonight.? Best wishes. MLB