Looks like I Have Another Cat

Old July 31st 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Looks like I Have Another Cat

On 7/30/2013 9:33 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:
On 7/30/2013 1:20 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

She seems to be settling now and trusting both of you. Nice one.

Alas not. She was under the living room couch this morning, and that's
where I pushed the morning's food bowl. She was still there when I got
home for work, and at least the food had been eaten.

My housekeeper just arrived and I lifted the couch, whereupon kitty ran
back to under the desk in this computer room. My housekeeper is now
stretched out under the desk, trying to give her some arm's-length
affection.

This is one tough situation.

Art

She has a lot to get used to. Give her time and space.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 31st 13, 05:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/30/2013 10:08 PM, Art Shapiro wrote:

Clearly this is not going to be an easy case, but at least she's not
going to starve. I'm not trying to bore everyone, of course; this is
somewhat tougher than most new-kitty situations I've had.

I want to hear about all of it.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old July 31st 13, 05:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 7/30/2013 10:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:

There are different types of purrs. Distressed, content, sleepy, happy...

I wouldn't try to get her out from under anything if she feels more
comfortable hiding. She's eating. Is she using a litterbox?

I'll admit I've never integrated a cat with other cats. But it seems
like just letting her explore on her own terms might work better.

I sure wouldn't be trying to brush her so soon. But that's just mee.

You have a very good intuition, Jill. That's exactly what new cats need.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old August 1st 13, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane[_3_]

I find that the best thing to do with a shy cat is simply IGNORE her. Put out her food and water and go about your daily life. She'll come out when she's good and ready. Don't keep chasing her down and trying to get her out from under any place where she feels safe. She needs a place to feel SAFE, and you're constantly bugging her about that.
So just leave her alone and give her time.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old August 1st 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 8/1/2013 7:42 AM, Jane wrote:

I find that the best thing to do with a shy cat is simply IGNORE her.
Put out her food and water and go about your daily life. She'll come
out when she's good and ready. Don't keep chasing her down and
trying to get her out from under any place where she feels safe. She
needs a place to feel SAFE, and you're constantly bugging her about
that. So just leave her alone and give her time.

Seconded!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old August 2nd 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/1/2013 6:13 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 8/1/2013 7:42 AM, Jane wrote:

I find that the best thing to do with a shy cat is simply IGNORE her.
Put out her food and water and go about your daily life. She'll come
out when she's good and ready. Don't keep chasing her down and
trying to get her out from under any place where she feels safe. She
needs a place to feel SAFE, and you're constantly bugging her about
that. So just leave her alone and give her time.

Seconded!

I third the motion. All in favour, say "aye".

Jill
Old August 4th 13, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:12:25 -0700, Art Shapiro
wrote:
I took one picture while my housekeeper was holding the cat, and it
isn't very good because the cat isn't looking up at that moment. But at
least you can see, in general, what she looks like. I'll keep this up
for a handful of weeks: http://www.ocrebels.com/VLO.jpg

So maybe we're making some progress.

She's a very pretty little torbie girl!
Old August 4th 13, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On 8/1/2013 7:42 AM, Jane wrote:

I find that the best thing to do with a shy cat is simply IGNORE her.
Put out her food and water and go about your daily life. She'll come
out when she's good and ready. Don't keep chasing her down and
trying to get her out from under any place where she feels safe. She
needs a place to feel SAFE, and you're constantly bugging her about
that. So just leave her alone and give her time.

Seconded!

I third the motion. All in favour, say "aye".

When I first got Spicey, I called her a "souffle", because I had to resist
the temptation to check in on her room too often.
Old August 4th 13, 09:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 8/1/2013 7:42 AM, Jane wrote:

I find that the best thing to do with a shy cat is simply IGNORE her.
Put out her food and water and go about your daily life. She'll come
out when she's good and ready. Don't keep chasing her down and
trying to get her out from under any place where she feels safe. She
needs a place to feel SAFE, and you're constantly bugging her about
that. So just leave her alone and give her time.

Seconded!

I third the motion. All in favour, say "aye".

When I first got Spicey, I called her a "souffle", because I had to resist
the temptation to check in on her room too often.

I fourth that. When Boyfie decided it was safe to move in I didn't try to
pick him up - and still don't.
He finds it scary even now even though he is happy with lap time, picking up
is a no-no. If I did so, he would not scratch or bite though, he just
thinks it's the end of his life and just dangles expecting the worst :-(
Which will be so in the next week or so when Tigger and himself are going to
TED for their yearly injections. Tigger goes into his carrier easily, but
Boyfie doesn't so Claire has to come and help me with a star shaped cat.
I have tried to keep his carrier downstairs so he is used to it but he isn't
stupid. He knows the carrier is bad news.
It means One Thing. TED,
and he isn't going into it if he can help it. Luckily he is a gentleman
and doesn't scratch, he just has to have two people getting him into his box
with all arms and legs out like "now try to get me in the box.."
Anyway, he has to have his injections and health check very shortly along
with Tigger who is such a regal boy that he is sure no-one would do such a
thing as to put him in a box and take him to TED.
Bad luck Tigger ;-)

Both of you will be there very soon.
They go together in the same car, in separate boxes, for the same thing.
They have never met each other so we face the boxes away from each other.
They wail and cry all the way there and back.
Tigger sometimes does bravecat on the vet's table and he strolls around but
his sweaty paws on the table tell the tale.
Boyfie never does Bravecat when he's at the vet's. He does flatcat and
says "please do not kill me"
So he has to to go through that very shortly for his own good.

He will of course come through it "phew, I nearly fainted and died on the
vet's table.."
He did used to faint on the vet's table from fear but that was a while ago
and not hopefully when he gets his jabs very soon.

He is very afraid of going to the vet and I try not to - but sometimes you
have to.

Old August 4th 13, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Art Shapiro" wrote in message
On 7/30/2013 1:20 PM, Judith Latham wrote:

She seems to be settling now and trusting both of you. Nice one.

Alas not. She was under the living room couch this morning, and that's
where I pushed the morning's food bowl. She was still there when I got
home for work, and at least the food had been eaten.

My housekeeper just arrived and I lifted the couch, whereupon kitty ran
back to under the desk in this computer room. My housekeeper is now
stretched out under the desk, trying to give her some arm's-length
affection.

This is one tough situation.

Art

It's not tough. Leave her alone and stop pressing her.
It took me years with Boyfriend to get him on my lap of his own accord and
now he thinks I'm the best thing in the world.
Anyway, it's far too soon to pick her up and she might never like it.
Boyfie does not like to be picked up so I don't (unless TED time) which
reinforces his idea of being picked up is dangerous.

Tweed