Peaches & Persia (WAS: AH crap!)

Old August 24th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Peaches & Persia (WAS: AH crap!)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message news:51feebb7$0

The mice barely seemed to notice the cats at all.

Of course they did and were scared out of their wits.
It's not a good idea to keep prey species along with what will catch them
in
the same house. It's cruel, IMO.

I would never keep birds in a cage in my house with Boyfriend and I don't
think it would be a good to keep mice, rats, or anything else that he
might
scare by staring.

YMMV. I kept Persia separated from my parakeets. They were very
gradually introduced. Over the course of about a year. No, I didn't let
them fly around in her presence. About a year after they died I wanted
another bird again. I grew up with pet birds. Parakeets. I'd been
around some tiny finches, too, but they were entirely too noisy for me. I
had birds well before I ever had a dog or a cat.

About a year after my last two parakeets, Rachel and Lorien, died I got
another bird. This time a Fischer lovebird. Remember Peaches?

She and Persia were "friends". No, I didn't let her fly around loose. But
Persia was used to birds by then. She wasn't antagonistic. At times when
travelling I boarded both of them. They'd keep Persia in the cat section
and Peaches near the grooming area where there is the sound of running
water. Tropical birds like the sound of running water. One time when
they were cleaning Persia's kennel they let her out. They had left the
door to the room slightly open. Persia heard Peaches chirping. She went
looking for her. They found her in the grooming room, looking at Peaches
as if to say, "You're stuck here, too?" (Yes, I'm anthropomorphizing.)
She didn't leap on the cage or attack or knock it over. She was just
sitting there looking at Peaches.

Just saying, cats and birds raised together can feel some sort of kinship.
I don't know about mice or other rodents.

And no, I have no idea what happened to Peaches. I left her with my
brother when John and I brought Persia here. I didn't think it wise to
make that long drive with Peaches' cage sitting on floor of the car. Water
tends to splash out of the cups and Peaches wasn't one to get down on the
floor of the cage. I was afraid if we hit a bump she'd literally go
flying. Into the bars of the cage.

I fully intended to go back and get her. My brother also grew up with and
had pet birds. For a while it worked out fine. Then my brother and I got
into that huge dispute over Mom's will. He wouldn't speak to me. So I
never got Peaches back.

I will say I know he wouldn't have harmed or neglected Peaches. I'm told
he sold his house and moved to Texas. Hopefully he either took Peaches
with him or found her a nice home. Lovebirds have a pretty long
life-span. Well tended and taken care of, about 25-30 years.

Jill

You might think that you introduce a bird into the house with a cat and it
seems all fine to you. It is not fine at all, the bird knows that cat is
their predator.

IMO, no pets should be kept anywhere near their predator, yes it's claimed
they can get used to it but why should they?

It will panic them half to death in the process.
It's cruel. YVMD.

Just say that some being was trying to get me used to tigers and assured me
they wouldn't harm me but I knew they would.
that's what you do when you keep predators and prey species together.
They always think they're going to be killed even if eventually the cat
doesn't eat the bird or the pet mouse.
Imagine that.

Tweed