Have You Ever Noticed....

Old August 28th 03, 09:49 PM
Tanada

Default Have You Ever Noticed....

I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work
though.

Pam S.

Old August 28th 03, 11:25 PM
lrulan

yup

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old August 29th 03, 12:33 AM
Lois Reay

"Tanada" wrote in message
I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work
though.

Pam S.

Yes I have also noticed that, sometimes when I am writing a post for this
group and I want to use a phrase I think to myself will they know what I am
talking about!!!

Lois

Old August 29th 03, 01:57 AM
Yowie

"Tanada" wrote in message
I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work
though.

Next you'll be putting the "u" back in colour! ;-)

I can't really say that I've noticed that this list has influenced my
non-cat related vocabulary, but then again, alot of the TV here is imported
from the USA, Canada and the UK. Considering I learnt my "ABC's" from Sesame
Street and had to *unlearn* that the letter "z" is not "zee" but "zed", I
suspect that I am more "bilingual" than those who haven't been raised on a
mix of UK, Australian & American TV shows. I think you said you liked "Blue
Heelers" or "Water Rats" or some other Aussie cop show - you could be
picking up our phraseology from there as well.

Still, its always a giggle when things don't quite translate properly across
the oceans - I remember saying I wanted to knit a jumper for Joel and the
USA contingent wondered why I wanted to make him a type of dress. I'd
understand what somebody else mean if they'd written "sweater" or
"pullover", but my 'native toungue' calls that garment a jumper and I'd
simply forgotten to translate my Aussie words into something more likely to
be understood by everyone here.

And then there are the people here who's first language isn't even English
but you'd never even notice. They've got my admiration, and I seem to be
able to greatly amuse Lena by not quite getting Swedish right, and she
teases me with perfectly correct "Strine" (Aussie slang).

Yowie

Old August 29th 03, 02:33 AM
Brenda Watkins

"Tanada" wrote in message
I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work

though.

Pam S.

been doing it for years.
Brenda

Old August 29th 03, 03:17 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Tanada wrote:

I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work
though.

Me too! (Although I had a head start, due to my long-time addiction to
British mystery fiction - the reason I often use the British spelling
for words like "rumour", "humour", catalogue, etc., is that I'm so used
to seeing them.)
Old August 29th 03, 06:37 AM
LOL

Tanada wrote in message ...
I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work
though.

Pam S.

Definitely, but more in writing than in speaking.
------
Krista
Old August 29th 03, 10:16 AM
Jeanette

Tanada wrote in message
I noticed that being in this group has tended to internationalize my
vocabulary. I have caught myself writing "Good on ya," which is not an
Merkin expression. Nor is "in hospital." I've got a list around here
somewhere of phrases that I'm finding myself using on occasion. Not
that I'm complaining, far from it. I am getting strange looks at work
though.

Pam S.

I hang around on a music board with lots of teenagers, and have recently
started describing attractive men as 'rarr'.

I also use the word 'TED' to describe the vet.

Jeanette

Old August 29th 03, 05:22 PM
Hopitus2

(Snort) Hasn't affected our diction.......but LOL all this time I just
thought you all were merely "teddibly refined" in your vocabs......even the
Merkins! What we like about this ng is discussing our fave subject - the
short furry dictators - with likeminded loveslaves.

"Jeanette" wrote in message
:
: ...