Gem (Patty?) Gets Smart

Old August 29th 03, 07:35 PM
David Yehudah

Default Gem (Patty?) Gets Smart

Annie, this sounds so much like my wife I edited it to apply. . .well,
read it and see what you think. :-)

Annie Benson-Lennaman wrote:
Or rather, Patty is starting to show real sign that she is smart. I'd
always suspected it, of course. Of course one could take the position that the reason she's alive is
because she was the only one stupid enough to get caught (she don't know that the local humans around
here prefer fried chicken and mashed potatoes to scrawny starving

Tanglefoot), but I have never
(Well, almost never) felt that way.

A couple of days ago I got her a dangly, stretchy, noisemaker
ribbony thing that I hung from the bedroom door. Well, it turns out
that she likes to play with it when I'm trying to sleep, so I had to
move it. I nailed it to the threshold from our living room to the
dining room. She immediately checked it out, and started pulling on it
trying to... well, I'm not sure what she was trying to do, but whatever
it was, she really wanted to do it. But before very long, she ran into
the living room and climbed up on a chair that was fairly close to it
and approached it from a different angle! Ah ha! Smart Patty!

She's showing other signs. She found the litter box in the bathroom
without my showing it to her, and started using it (she has her own
litterbox in the bedroom). Actually, come to think on it, I never
really showed her that that was the place to do her business, either.
She just knew. She's getting pretty good at finding toys that get lost
behind the desk or sofa. And I only had to show her the "cat shelf"
where the sun shines in the morning once.

But this is my very, very favorite one. She was laying on the bed
when I came in to give her a pat. I saw that she
was out of food, and she asked me to give her some more. As I reached into
the drawer where the bag is and poured the pellets into her bowl, she
began to purr much louder. She didn't go to bowl; she wasn't hungry.
The bowl had only very recently been emptied. She just stayed where she
was purring like mad. I have to conclude that she was content with the
knowledge her needs would continue to be met the next time she got
hungry. She was happy that I was showing her that I wouldn't let her
starve. Maybe even grateful. Such a good Patty!

Well, it would take her a while to starve, now. She's actually got
what can only be described as a little pot belly, the kind you would
hope to see on a little Patty. I swear I can almost see her getting bigger
daily. She's showing other signs of recovery as well. When she first
left the safety of the bedroom, I rarely saw her... she spent most of
her time under stuff. If I approached her, she would run. Now she is
starting to sprawl out on top of furniture instead of always under it.
It is getting easier to pet her and even catch her, though she still
doesn't really like to be held (but loves to be petted when she is lying
on something). Her breathing is still bad... but most of the time that
doesn't seem to slow her down very much. The next time I talk to the
vet, I will ask about that supplement (lysine, or something like that?
I saved the post) and ask if that can help.

But even if it doesn't, it's hard to think that she doesn't feel she has
a good life when she is laying on her back, purring, and waving her paws
over her pot belly!

--
Annie

Currently playing:
Teapray-- 43 High Elf Cleric on Firiona Vie

Lentea-- 27 Ogre Beastlord On Firiona Vie

--
If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write
me.

Old August 29th 03, 10:03 PM
Tanada

David Yehudah wrote:

Annie, this sounds so much like my wife I edited it to apply. . .well,
read it and see what you think. :-)

I hope you got air conditioning installed in your d*g house, Dave. I'm
sure Patty will send you right out there, without your supper, after she
reads this one.

Pam S.

Old August 30th 03, 07:00 PM
Tanada

You mean she already has you living in the d*g house? Daaaavvvveee, you
know better. You won't be out before Hanukah at this rate.

Pam S.